U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So are Chad and Niger but they are still considered to be part of Sub-Sahara Africa. Even if the OP didn't have an agenda, we still have to be careful with some of these geographical terminologies that carry negative racial connotations associated with it. For example, the OP being viewed as going out of his way to not acknowledge Mauritania as a West African country could be seen as offensive to people of West African descent.

Just because something isn't seen as offensive to you doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to someone else.

Great points. A lot of it is social conditioning. People have grown up believing nothing of value comes from Africa...and certainly not west Africa, so they chuck any information that doesn't agree with what they believe is the truth.

An example from my own family. In doing some research, I discovered that a relative changed his last name, meaning there is an entire new family I don't know about and am connected to. Who knows the exact reason the person did it, but it's clear from the records they wanted to hide their true origins. They were listed in two different households in the same census year. This happened thrice! Different states over the course of two to three months (which would have been enough time to travel). I shared this with an older relative who absolutely cannot accept this, even though they told me (before I'd even uncovered this information) that this relative had another family prior to the second marriage. But see, they may have been led to believe that the person divorced the first wife and then got remarried. My research indicates this person was probably living a double life. This particular relative is very conservative and tries to be pious, so it's difficult for them to consider a relative of theirs might have been dishonest in this way. It's because the person views the behavior as "immoral", and they probably don't want to be associated with such. They refuse to accept the information I presented even though I got it directly from census records and it MATCHES with the oral history they shared with me! People will go out of their way to reject information that brings them discomfort. If you went your entire 40+ years of life believing Africans are inferior and nothing good comes out of Africa, you are not going to accept that one of the most advanced societies originated in this black place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 39,074 times
Quote:
So are Chad and Niger but they are still considered to be part of Sub-Sahara Africa. Even if the OP didn't have an agenda, we still have to be careful with some of these geographical terminologies that carry negative racial connotations associated with it. For example, the OP being viewed as going out of his way to not acknowledge Mauritania as a West African country could be seen as offensive to people of West African descent.

Just because something isn't seen as offensive to you doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to someone else.

That's taking political correctness a little too far, don't you think?
Looking at a map of Africa, one can clearly see that Mauritania is in the northwestern part of the African continent. Why would a nation's geographic location carry negative racial connotations?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Great points. A lot of it is social conditioning. People have grown up believing nothing of value comes from Africa...and certainly not west Africa, so they chuck any information that doesn't agree with what they believe is the truth.
I guess one could refer to that as a modernist predjudice, e.g. the belief that nations that aren't as modernized offer little or no value. Poorer regions of the world are often looked down upon by wealtheir nations.

Africa has incredible riches, especially in diverse wildlife and natural resources.
Hopefully the Africans don't end up like China or India, polluting & destroying so much of their natural environments in the name of progress.

I think it's very possible that a highly advanced civilization at one time existed in Africa (pre-5,000 B.C.), and probably other regions of the world.

There is some interesting evidence of very old civilizations throughout much of Africa:

Researchers Claims The Remains of a 200,000 year old advanced civilization Discovered In Africa
https://www.ancient-code.com/the-rem...und-in-africa/

200,000 years old seems almost unbelievable, but as the article shows in pictures, there are very large & complex stone structures built by humans in southern Africa (modern Zimbabwe and South Africa). I didn't know about this until recently, it goes to show that Africa has a lot to reveal about its ancient history.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
That's taking political correctness a little too far, don't you think?
If you think offending people of African descent is taking political correctness too far then you need to reevaluate your ignorance on the situation.

Quote:
Looking at a map of Africa, one can clearly see that Mauritania is in the northwestern part of the African continent. Why would a nation's geographic location carry negative racial connotations?
Because of the negative stigma with being considered a sub-saharan country. West Africa is part of sub-saharan Africa and sub-saharan Africa is synonymous with Black Africa. Why do you think so many North Africans have self-hating issues? Many of them delusionally believe that they are 100% Arab in their ancestry without taking into account that most of them are mixed with African ancestry as well.

When closed-minded Eurocentrists or people who are brainwashed by White supremacy believe that nothing important in terms of civilization came out of that area of Africa, they will go out of there way to disassociate an area as being part of Sub-Sahara Africa. In this case it is Mauritania which is clearly a West African country but people with that type of thinking will go out of their way to call it something else aka Northwest Africa. They will say things like "How could the Atlantis civilization be located in West Africa?? Well I'll call its location something else to disassociate it from that area so my closed-minded racism is justified."

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 09-22-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
If you think offending people of African descent is taking political correctness too far then you need to reevaluate your ignorance on the situation.
I never offended people of African descent. Merely stating the geographical location of a nation has nothing to do with offending anyone.

Mauritania is in northwestern Africa, that's just a geographical fact.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Here's part 2:

This is How We Know Atlantis Existed…AND Where – Lost Ancient Civilization Hidden in Plain Sight (2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyV8TUlV3Ds

Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 PM

2,213 posts, read 687,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Wow, I never even thought of this! It's funny because I was just reading about Pharaoh and Moses in the Quran. Surah 43 contains the following in verses 55 and 56:

Then when they displeased Us, We exacted retribution from them, so We drowned them all together.
And We made them a thing past and an example for later generations.

All throughout the Quran (and Bible) it talks about how God sends messengers, warners and signs. But each generation always ignores the messengers, warners and signs. Thank you for this insight. You too, Creamer.

I have seen it once, have not yet really been able to find it, but in the Bible, god calls himself Allah one time. And "Allah" is the Arabic word for God.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
If you find it, let me know. "Allah" is not that far off from "yah", which is what many people of the diaspora call God. It's also close to hallelujah. Actually...after typing that out, "Allah" is the first four letter of "hallelujah" backwards, with an "a" instead of "e" on the end.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:32 AM

178 posts, read 124,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I have seen it once, have not yet really been able to find it, but in the Bible, god calls himself Allah one time. And "Allah" is the Arabic word for God.

I would love to see if this is true. In what book and chapter of the Bible? Which version of the Bible did is say this? I would assume it would have to be in the King James verson to have some form of reverence.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:32 AM

72 posts, read 55,438 times
If you look at the topography of Africa, a lot of the best farmland would be in northwest Africa if it wasn't so dry. I strongly suspect there were large settlements in this area in the distant past when the area got more rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa