U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM

69 posts, read 39,074 times

Advertisements

This man makes an interesting argument for the lost civilization of Atlantis being found in modern day Mauritania (Northwest Africa):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDoM4BmoDQM

I thought the video was quite fascinating, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
I'm only six minutes in so far, but I am fascinated as well. For me, this serves as further proof that the Bible is not just a book of fiction. Although it is a copy of a copy of a copy of ancient texts, a lot of it still makes sense when you take history into account. The Bible says destruction comes in the form of natural disasters, so it's not surprising that this city could have been taken out in that manner. I'll come back with other thoughts if I have them, but I'd like to find the real name of "Atlantis". A lot of the names of historical events and figures are changed in order to hide the truth. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 AM

69 posts, read 39,074 times
The destruction of Atlantis has some interesting parallels with the story of Babel from the bible.

The bible states that Babel was a diverse society where everyone spoke a single language. Babel must have had high technology because the inhabitants were building towers that could reach the heavens. -- God destroyed Babel and cast out the people to all corners of the Earth, giving them new languages.

After Atlantis was destroyed, I imagine all of the former Atlanteans who survived the cataclysm settled in a variety of different places and developed their own distinct cultures and new languages over time. As the video describes, Atlantis in ancient times would have been connected to the Atlantic ocean, giving its seafarers easy access to the rest of Africa, the Mediterranean Sea, Europe, and possibly sailing across the Atlantic to the Americas. It definitely could have been the ancient equivalent of a globalist society.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 687,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm only six minutes in so far, but I am fascinated as well. For me, this serves as further proof that the Bible is not just a book of fiction. Although it is a copy of a copy of a copy of ancient texts, a lot of it still makes sense when you take history into account. The Bible says destruction comes in the form of natural disasters, so it's not surprising that this city could have been taken out in that manner. I'll come back with other thoughts if I have them, but I'd like to find the real name of "Atlantis". A lot of the names of historical events and figures are changed in order to hide the truth. Thanks for sharing.

Truth is revealed by divine inspiration; this the most compelling argument for those who say the Bible was "written by a man;" the Jews may have the law, but Jesus completes the scriptures. The Jews cite what are really "technicalities" that do not mean anything in the spirit of the word... "One is not three and three is not one" means nothing when you know that Three is in the One. Amen

Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 PM

3,492 posts, read 2,507,518 times
Atlantis is a parable. Plato says strongly hints at that himself.

Plato said that the continent of Atlantis is biggger than Africa and Asia combined, so it can't be on Africa. In fact, due to plate techtonics, we know that no such thing can be.

Plato also says that Athens fought Atlantis 9000 years ago. There was no Athens 9000 years ago, and all we know about are proto-civilizations such as Jericho, or the people who built Gobekli Tepli.

The Richat structure is a bit of a mystery, but geologists think it was formed by errosion. Not one legit scientist thinks it is Atlantis.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
This man makes an interesting argument for the lost civilization of Atlantis being found in modern day Mauritania (Northwest Africa):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDoM4BmoDQM

I thought the video was quite fascinating, what are your thoughts?
Mauritania is a West African country. It's interesting how you conveniently went out of your way not to acknowledge its universally understood geographical location. Do you have a problem with saying that a so called sub-saharan African country is the location of the Atlantis civilization?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...eme_for_Africa

Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Mauritania is a West African country. It's interesting how you conveniently went out of your way not to acknowledge its universally understood geographical location. Do you have a problem with saying that a so called sub-saharan African country is the location of the Atlantis civilization?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...eme_for_Africa
I don't think the OP meant any ill agendas by it. Its own wikipedia page also stats it is in Northwest Africa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania

Although its generally accepted as West Africa, its almost entirely in the sahara. The Saharan deserts covers a greater area than what is considered to be "North Africa". You can fit the United States(and maybe then some) in the thing.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-20-2018 at 12:36 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
The destruction of Atlantis has some interesting parallels with the story of Babel from the bible.

The bible states that Babel was a diverse society where everyone spoke a single language. Babel must have had high technology because the inhabitants were building towers that could reach the heavens. -- God destroyed Babel and cast out the people to all corners of the Earth, giving them new languages.

After Atlantis was destroyed, I imagine all of the former Atlanteans who survived the cataclysm settled in a variety of different places and developed their own distinct cultures and new languages over time. As the video describes, Atlantis in ancient times would have been connected to the Atlantic ocean, giving its seafarers easy access to the rest of Africa, the Mediterranean Sea, Europe, and possibly sailing across the Atlantic to the Americas. It definitely could have been the ancient equivalent of a globalist society.

Wow, I never even thought of this! It's funny because I was just reading about Pharaoh and Moses in the Quran. Surah 43 contains the following in verses 55 and 56:

Then when they displeased Us, We exacted retribution from them, so We drowned them all together.
And We made them a thing past and an example for later generations.

All throughout the Quran (and Bible) it talks about how God sends messengers, warners and signs. But each generation always ignores the messengers, warners and signs. Thank you for this insight. You too, Creamer.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Atlantis is a parable. Plato says strongly hints at that himself.

Plato said that the continent of Atlantis is biggger than Africa and Asia combined, so it can't be on Africa. In fact, due to plate techtonics, we know that no such thing can be.

I think Plato's idea still works, even in parable. Maybe "Atlantis" is another name for what we know as "Pangea", with present-day Mauritania being the location of the earliest civilization. Then it would be bigger than Africa and Asia combined, because it would include Europe, the Americas, Australia and Antarctica. If Atlantis was the beginning and the civilization was destroyed by God (via natural disasters), then the land could have gotten broken up. And the land would break farther and farther apart with each civilization that got destroyed. Hence the scattering of the people...

Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I don't think the OP meant any ill agendas by it. Its own wikipedia page also stats it is in Northwest Africa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania

Although its generally accepted as West Africa, its almost entirely in the sahara. The Saharan deserts covers a greater area than what is considered to be "North Africa". You can fit the United States(and maybe then some) in the thing.
So are Chad and Niger but they are still considered to be part of Sub-Sahara Africa. Even if the OP didn't have an agenda, we still have to be careful with some of these geographical terminologies that carry negative racial connotations associated with it. For example, the OP being viewed as going out of his way to not acknowledge Mauritania as a West African country could be seen as offensive to people of West African descent.

Just because something isn't seen as offensive to you doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa