Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are the Cape Verdean people most similar to?
mainland West Africa 11 30.56%
Afro-Latin America (Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Brazilians) 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_in_DR View Post
How so? Cape Verde and the Hispanic Caribbean are both predominantly Mulatto (with the latter having a small native admixture). They both have a mixed West African and Iberian (Spanish/Portuguese) culture.

What I have put in red is the crux of the disagreement, I believe.

There is no blanket Iberian culture, and the differences between how the cultures of Portugal and Spain worked out in their various colonies is considerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
As a rule of thumb, the closer 2 countries are the closer they are. Cape Verde is African and has nothing to do with Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica etc
Right. Which is why Australians have more in common with New Guinea than Britain. /s

Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that I'd classify them to SALVADOR in Brazil...which is the heart of African-Brazilian, but you still have every shade in Salvador too, it is just more darker shades than the rest of Brazil which can be quite European or Indigenous in parts.

There are differences also among the Cape Verdean islands and even within each island some Cape Verdeans are very culturally similar to Portuguese people. Some don't feel foreign at all to me.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

631 posts, read 561,963 times
Neither mainland Africa or Afro-Latin America. Cape Verdeans are culturally and linguistically Creole (but à portuguesa). I would put them as closest to the people living on São Tomé and Príncipe. The only exceptions on mainland Africa would be the mestiços of Guinea-Bissau and the Portuguese-Creole-speaking minority of Senegal (which someone in this thread previously identified).

Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Neither mainland Africa or Afro-Latin America. Cape Verdeans are culturally and linguistically Creole (but à portuguesa). I would put them as closest to the people living on São Tomé and Príncipe. The only exceptions on mainland Africa would be the mestiços of Guinea-Bissau and the Portuguese-Creole-speaking minority of Senegal (which someone in this thread previously identified).

I have a small collection of African music, tipped rather heavily to Cabo Verde. But there are two, perhaps three albums that I purchased thinking they were groups from there, only to discover upon reading the cover info that they were from Guinea-Bissau and São Tomé.

Overall I don't find similarity with the Portuguese music I know, so I wonder if the commonality is not from being Portuguese colonies but from the movements/travels of the local people of these places and the influences they absorbed from each other. Or perhaps the music reflects a type of Portuguese music from the past which has simply died off in Portugal itself.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 AM
AFP

Quote:
There are some similarities with the Mestiços of São Tomé and Príncipe but overall they are much more mixed with Portuguese genetically and culturally also the African part of the Cape Verdeans is mostly Senegambian whereas the São Tomense are mostly descended from Africans from Angola, the Congo, Benin and Gabon. They don't feel as open to me as the Cape Verdeans. Perhaps there is a closer match culturally with the Creoles of Guinea-Bissau.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 AM
AFP

Here is some information on the Guinea-Bissau Creole language. I can't find an academic link but it's very similar to Cape Verdean Creole and it expanded into Senegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea-Bissau_Creole

https://omniglot.com/writing/guineabissaucreole.htm

Old 10-04-2018, 07:20 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Some old school Cape Verdean Music

This sounds very African to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YIl81obl3c

The meloncholy of this seems to be a Portuguese influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ncJLWgko5w

New Cape Verdean Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVXabyWniY
It sounds African because most Caribbean music is African. This music sounds very much like that of the Afro French creole islands of the Eastern Caribbean. Even the tone of the female voice, even as she sings a different language.

Put humans under similar circumstances and the result is similar. Cabo Verde has much in common with the Caribbean, parts of Brazil, but also the Indian Ocean islands of Mauritius, Reunion and Seychelles. These latter islands are pieces of the Caribbean stuck in the Indian Ocean.

Yes Cabo Verde has African influences because the Caribbean has. However it is a colonial "constructed" culture and not one with deep indigenous roots as one would find in Guinea Bissau.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
if you listen to music from Cape Verde you can perceive typically African beats that find in nearby Senegal for instance.
All of the modern Cabo Verde music I have heard can fit right into the Caribbean. Folks need to know that in its music and dance the Caribbean remains very African, even if cultural influences have been greatly reduced overall. So much so that Africans are "reincorporating" Caribbean influences into their music because it works.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I think that Sao Tome is more "African" in scope probably due to the composition of its population. It has peoples who arrived from mainland Africa long after slavery ended. Maybe Cabo Verde exists in a continuum that begins in Sao Tome and ends in Brazil.

I actually found a comparative analysis which of course I cannot find now. But in summary Cabo Verde's population was more mulatto with a larger Portuguese component. Due to proximity it returned closer ties to Portugal. Sao Tome's population more closely resembles that of islands like Martinique where there was a clear dichotomy between the enslaved peoples and the slave owners, so relationships differed when compared to the more socially integrated Cabo Verde. So deeper pockets of fully African identity exist in Sao Tome.

Last edited by caribny; 10-04-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa