U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 06:21 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times

Advertisements

What long-term issues does NAMIBIA have, that might be similar to South Africa?

Namibia also has many similar issues as South Africa, although not as severe. Prior Apartheid, sizeable white population (by Africa standards), who tend to own a proportionately larger amount of the land.

While nowhere near the crime levels of South Africa, there does seem to be resentment racially about who has held the power in the past, etc.

Do people feel it is quite similar in many ways, or are there significant differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 08:11 AM

2,774 posts, read 1,135,330 times
Yeah, I believe land is an issue as it is in SA. I saw documentary that showed a village literally boxed in on all sides by a white owned land. They were angry because the land was just sitting there unproductive while they had serious issues with hunger in their village. It's a tough situation.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:16 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
From 1915 to 1990, it was South West Africa, administered and under the full control of South Africa. The two were separated by a rather fictitious border.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:30 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
From 1915 to 1990, it was South West Africa, administered and under the full control of South Africa. The two were separated by a rather fictitious border.
I didn't realize that. They talk more about that German period. Owned by South Africa is something that I didn't read before. Maybe that's downplayed...but that would make sense.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 AM

3,500 posts, read 1,699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasDeOvado View Post
They were part of Apartheid SA until 1990, so many of the same issues.

Namibia has no real opposition parties on the left who can push the governing party into retaking the land. Not to say it cannot occur internally as they have threatened to do so but haven't taken any steps to do.

Namibia has many of the same problems, trying to grow an economy that is boxed in. Whites obviously took over almost all the land, mines, banks, etc. So now how do you grow an economy long term in those circumstances. You can just give more and more to whites but at a certain point people start questioning how is this any better than apartheid, in fact, you might end up with something worse and grow the income gap causing more alienation, more angry landless, propertyless and opportunityless peasants who see an easily identifiable minority who obtained wealth in an immoral way and the government entrenching and defending it.

It is literally the situation revolutions are made of (tiny highly identifiable minority elite and masses of dirt poor people)

If Namibia kicks the whites out their lands, banks and mines, they face possible international sanctions like Zimbabwe. If they allow them to stay on it, they get closer and closer to long term instability and mass violent revolution.

No real good answers in this scenario as if the status quo won't last. Best I can think of is tax the white population more heavily and redirect the money towards Africans having more business opportunities and pass BEE and AA laws. However even that has problems. The whites may just leave voluntarily and let their land go fallow leading to a slow economic decline rather than be taxed more. Again, the whites are only 7-10%the population, so how much can you really even tax them?

These countries are basically going to fail IMO.
I doubt they’ll fail both Namibia and Botswana for example are small enough that as Africa goes along if any billionaire even decides to invest slightly in those two countries it will be ridiculously impactful. Namibia only has 500,000 people. If Dangote or the Chagoury group even plan an Eko Atlantic style megaproject in a country like Namibia the nation is literally developed as soon as the project is completed. That is what I think Namibia or Botswana needs one well placed large public works project to push them into the future the only question is how will they be able to afford it, even though their both wealthier than Nigeria by leaps and bounds they don’t have anywhere near the same budget.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:42 PM

31 posts, read 8,441 times
Didn't Namibia elect the first post-apartheid head of government in Southern Africa a few years ago?

Old 03-01-2019, 02:00 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,344,090 times
Yes Namibia became the first post apartheid government in 1990. RSA couldn't afford to keep hold of it and the system there was in the process of breaking down, anyway.

There has been talk from the beginning about taking land from farmers, at a determined price, but to my knowledge little has actually happened in that area, but will raise its head, I expect around election time.

A similar, in per cent terms, just over 8, white population, as RSA make up the population. People think the German influence is strong, it is with some lovely architecture , but in language terms Afrikaans is far more wide spread in that country than German. Still Radio Namibia, maintains a station in the German language, which I listen to at times.

I know South Africans, whom brought property in Swakamond, a number of years ago, and do very well from the rents, while continuing to live in South Africa. Others, I met moved over there, from South Africa, preferring the less crime and lifestyle.
Who knows what the future holds? Things are good so far, more so than expected, I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or