U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,044,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Tree, you're going a little too deep for them. They won't understand what you're saying. They're content with the narrative (they'd make terrible DT's).

Haha you're right. I was just listening to that guy and a lightbulb clicked immediately. I forgot all about the disease stories. Anyhow, I'll just leave everyone to their own thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 PM

112 posts, read 28,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
We've already talked about this having a great great grandfather that was Portuguese doesn't make you a Luso-American. You are a descendant of a great great grandfather that was a Portuguese American but you aren't one. You do have some Portuguese ancestry though but it isn't the same thing.
If my great-great grandfather is Portuguese then that makes me Portuguese by blood, ancestry and origin just like having a Portuguese grandfather makes you part Portuguese. A Luso-American is someone of Portuguese descent which is what I am. being 1/16 Portuguese or 1/2 Portuguese still makes you Portuguese by blood and ethnicity. So I definitely come from Portugal originally. You are what your great-great grandparents are.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,425,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Would you consider someone Native-American if they had predominant West African features like hair, skin tone,and facial features?
That like saying would consider it a desert if get the rain fall of a jungle,

No, because those are not native Americans features it litteally impossible to have predominantly features that's not your predominant ancestry unless it a similar looking group.

Quote:
A lot of people consider me African-American when I'm 75%African, and 22% European but I definitely consider myself Portuguese because of my great-great grandfather was Portuguese so I try to represent my Portuguese heritage so the perfect term for me is Luso-American which means Portuguese-American. My great-great grandfather was ethnic Portuguese.
This means your ignoring 72% of ancestry and just claiming your 22% of European

The staw man here I made very clear if your mix claim your mix ancestry, so if your part native or European and you embrace that part too go ahead, what I stating repeatedly that no poster has counter yet is African American are predominantly African ancestry.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
no poster has counter yet is African American are predominantly African ancestry.

What is your criteria for AAs being predominantly African? What does an African look like?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,425,973 times
Quote:
If my great-great grandfather is Portuguese then that makes me Portuguese by blood, ancestry and origin just like having a Portuguese grandfather makes you part Portuguese. A Luso-American is someone of Portuguese descent which is what I am. being 1/16 Portuguese or 1/2 Portuguese still makes you Portuguese by blood and ethnicity. So I definitely come from Portugal originally. You are what your great-great grandparents are.
All of what your great-great parents are, you can't say I'm 1/16 blank then ignore that your 72% blank. Yes Portuguese but your even more something else.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 PM

Hey "light-skinned" chiatldal. Tell us about your heritage. What percent of African are you?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 PM

23,459 posts, read 28,339,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What is your criteria for AAs being predominantly African? What does an African look like?
DNA.

African Americans have DNA that matches modern Africans, because they share common ancestors.

"Looks" have nothing to do with it.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 PM

Looks like chiatldal is ignoring me. Cat got your tongue, buddy?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 PM

112 posts, read 28,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
All of what your great-great parents are, you can't say I'm 1/16 blank then ignore that your 72% blank. Yes Portuguese but your even more something else.
Of course I can. My Portuguese great-great grandfather is the cover of what I am and my main blood line. American ancestors don't count. Also what your majority percentage is, doesn't mean that's what you are either.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DNA.

African Americans have DNA that matches modern Africans, because they share common ancestors.

"Looks" have nothing to do with it.

I haven't checked out all the DNA sites, but Ancestry is very careful in how it words its FAQ section. It's because they don't want to get sued. There is a lot of "may" thrown around, and questions about the accuracy of the results are pretty vague. That's because they know the results are not a 100% picture of your ethnic background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or