U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,940,607 times

Advertisements

I am a Black American and have taken both the 23andme and AncestryDNA tests.

The test needs to be taken with a grain of salt for the following reasons:

1. Your results will probably vary between test companies. One company says that I'm 30% Nigerian while the other says that I'm only 1% Nigerian. One test also says that I'm 2% Native while the other says that I have zero native. The actual racial percentages have remained similar for each update.

2. They release updates changing your regional percentages.

3. Many neighboring countries don't have a category of their own due to shared history. So for example, is a Sierra Leonian took the test then Sierra Leone would not come up; only the neighboring regions would.

4. Africans of various tribes taken to the Americas have mixed with each other for centuries (as well with Europeans) so you will probably have a lot of lineage all throughout the places in Africa where slaves were sourced from.

Overall, the test is great at summarizing how much of each race you are (minus the tiny percentages). Its even great for people who are adopted and are looking for blood relatives. Im not adopted but I've had close family members pop up as relatives despite me not even knowing that they've taken the test but its not really that great for much more. Oh and the health portion of it can be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I am a Black American and have taken both the 23andme and AncestryDNA tests.

The test needs to be taken with a grain of salt for the following reasons:
Blacks have been in America since the 17th-18th century. As you stated, any test that claims it can trace your DNA back to Africa should indeed be taken with a grain of salt. A huge grain of salt.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,032,337 times
Blacks have been in America loooooong before the 17th century. Where do you think all that free labor came from? You think Europe had the money to bring thousands of slaves from Africa to the Americas, keep them fed the entire time, make sure they stayed alive, then wait for then to have babies (which may or may not have lived full term) to keep the whole operation going? Silly rabbit......

Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 PM

6,554 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Blacks have been in America loooooong before the 17th century. Where do you think all that free labor came from? You think Europe had the money to bring thousands of slaves from Africa to the Americas, keep them fed the entire time, make sure they stayed alive, then wait for then to have babies (which may or may not have lived full term) to keep the whole operation going? Silly rabbit......
What is the origins of Haitian Voodoo? Cuban Santeria? Brazilian Candomble and Capoeira?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 PM

I'm not sure.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:42 PM

6,554 posts, read 9,067,154 times
^

I asked because you sound like you are into that Black aboriginal stuff where they deny the Trans-Atlantic slave trade happened. My questions were to demonstrate that the slave trade did happen because all of those things I asked about with Haiti,Cuba and Brazil all have African origins.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:14 PM

Yes the slave trade did happen. You know what also happens? Immigration. And just because we might let a few thousand new Mexicans in doesn't mean there aren't already millions of Mexicans here, does it?

Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Blacks have been in America since the 17th-18th century. As you stated, any test that claims it can trace your DNA back to Africa should indeed be taken with a grain of salt. A huge grain of salt.
It not "claim" Being in America doesn't make you Native American,

Most people who make comments such as your also tend be very ignorant of Native American history and culture on top of that.

The test should be taken for a grain of salt but not remotely cause the reason you stated, I also find it odd that u hate every thing to do with Africa but your also swimming in the Africa forum.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Comment above is 100% false. And extremely disrespectful to your own ancestors if your black, denying the trans Atlantic slave trade is like denying the holocaust.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yes the slave trade did happen. You know what also happens? Immigration. And just because we might let a few thousand new Mexicans in doesn't mean there aren't already millions of Mexicans here, does it?

Let tell you flaws in this, beside the oblivious that AA while slightly mix clearly share predominantly features with west Africans, hair, skin tone, facial features and etc and very little with the natives of Americas.

its well documented where and appropriately how much slaves came in the port of Savanah, Charleston, New Orleans and etc but also the ports and regions/ports slaves came from along the coast of west Africa. There litteally forts known as slave castles that were used by traders

Also the cultural exchange, in Brazil, West Indian, Central America and the southern US, there a large element of culture and traditions that link to West and central Africa. Like for example the West Indian accents are related to West African accents. Jamaican patois and bahamian creole are strikingly similar to west african pidgin english. And that just the tip of iceberg because there more when getting into religions, music and dancing. That link the black population in the Americas to traditions in West Africa.

Last flaw in what your saying there wasn't mass migration from Mexico before the 1950s. Even during Mexico control of the west the population was relatively small, beside the Native American population the area was largely undeveloped by the Spanish and Mexico, just a few explorers, missions and small towns. At the same time what point during slavery in America did a massive amount of Mexican slaves became nearly half of the states of GA, MS, LA and SC. Cause these states were half black during the civil war? At the same time they just happen to home or near Savanah, Charleston and New Orleans the post African slaves enter the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or