Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Why does it matter what he looks like? So if he looked full Portuguese or mixed-race would you still consider him? And if he was 50% or 100% Portuguese by blood would you consider him Portuguese?
He does't look like a Portuguese person to me he look like a Black guy to me. I'm not sure why that is bothersome to you. If he looked full Portuguese to me it's because he would be full Portuguese by ancestry. If he looked mixed race I would see a mixed race person. What is your point am I not supposed to notice what I see? Some people look and are full Portuguese ancestry but they clearly are not when you interact with them. Phenotype is just part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 PM

112 posts, read 62,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
He does't look like a Portuguese person to me he look like a Black guy to me. I'm not sure why that is bothersome to you. If he looked full Portuguese to me it's because he would be full Portuguese by ancestry. If he looked mixed race I would see a mixed race person. What is your point am I not supposed to notice what I see? Some people look and are full Portuguese ancestry but they clearly are not when you interact with them. Phenotype is just part of it.

Do you consider your cousin the same race as you and other Portuguese people? If you saw someone who looked mixed-race, and someone who was 3/4Portuguese, and 1/4 African would you see and consider them Portuguese or mixed-race over your cousin?

Old 12-01-2018, 12:33 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Do you consider your cousin the same race as you and other Portuguese people? If you saw someone who looked mixed-race, and someone who was 3/4Portuguese, and 1/4 African would you see and consider them Portuguese or mixed-race over your cousin?
You cannot infer the percentage of admixture by the way someone looks. If you are mixed you are mixed. It does not matter what the proportions are, you are still mixed.

You are Portuguese if you are a citizen of Portugal. Portuguese is not a race; it's a nationality.

Your ethnicity is reflected by the family and community in which you were reared. If you were not reared in a Portuguese family and community you are not ethically Portuguese, either. Feel free to explore your Portuguese heritage, but doing so will not make you Portuguese, any more than my Huguenot ancestors make me French or my German ancestors make me German or my Irish ancestors make me Irish or my Scottish ancestors make me Scottish. I am an American who is the result of admixture of people from all those areas. Of all those countries I would most love to visit Scotland, but I do not describe myself as Scots-American.

The genetic origins of the Iberian Peninsula:

https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/spa...ugal_dna.shtml

Old 12-01-2018, 03:47 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm not saying that "african Americans" are Melanesians or Micronesians...I'm talking more the appearance of the people that were seen but I just used those two groups as a point of reference. The only thing that I'm bringing out is that there a compelling argument that some people that were phenotypically given an "African" like description. It's already documented that Americans were shipped to Africa as slaves so I do think it deserves an ear. I still have some research to do on the topic but this argument is here to stay and will only get more traction. I'm just going on the evidence.
Again, share that source

Old 12-01-2018, 04:09 AM

If you can't post a source thats credible in a Collage science or history report, it's not credible, your reading conspiracy theories.

And that's issue people who are into conspiracy theory make excuses for why there argument isn't published and accepted by schools, historians, scientists and etc. then rely on a rinky dink blog,

Seriously Tree conspiracy theory that native Americans were black reply another conspiracy theory that DNA science is not accurate cause government apparently doesn't want us blacks to know that native Americans were black.

Sesh

Old 12-01-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Why does it matter what he looks like? So if he looked full Portuguese or mixed-race would you still consider him? And if he was 50% or 100% Portuguese by blood would you consider him Portuguese?
Since you like questions

Dude why not walk out side and say your a dragon if your majority Ancestry doesn't matter. It's the same thing... your making something that not majority Ancestry. So why not say you a Dragon, Cow, or butterfly?

Old 12-01-2018, 04:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
AzureKite, since it seems you want to embrace all things Portuguese, have you ever considered immigrating to Portugal and giving up (renounce) your US citizenship? Then you can be an American-Portuguese!

Old 12-01-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
AzureKite, since it seems you want to embrace all things Portuguese, have you ever considered immigrating to Portugal and giving up (renounce) your US citizenship? Then you can be an American-Portuguese!
I'm just proud of my Portuguese roots and coming from a great country originally

Old 12-01-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Since you like questions

Dude why not walk out side and say your a dragon if your majority Ancestry doesn't matter. It's the same thing... your making something that not majority Ancestry. So why not say you a Dragon, Cow, or butterfly?

Do you think majority ancestry determines what you are?

Old 12-01-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You cannot infer the percentage of admixture by the way someone looks. If you are mixed you are mixed. It does not matter what the proportions are, you are still mixed.

You are Portuguese if you are a citizen of Portugal. Portuguese is not a race; it's a nationality.

Your ethnicity is reflected by the family and community in which you were reared. If you were not reared in a Portuguese family and community you are not ethically Portuguese, either. Feel free to explore your Portuguese heritage, but doing so will not make you Portuguese, any more than my Huguenot ancestors make me French or my German ancestors make me German or my Irish ancestors make me Irish or my Scottish ancestors make me Scottish. I am an American who is the result of admixture of people from all those areas. Of all those countries I would most love to visit Scotland, but I do not describe myself as Scots-American.

The genetic origins of the Iberian Peninsula:

https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/spa...ugal_dna.shtml

I'm not from Portugal but I'm Portuguese by blood, and ancestry. I'm American so I'm Portuguese-American, or Luso-American. Learning about my Portuguese heritage is exploring my history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa