U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2018, 04:49 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Reputation: 5878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
So why wasn't that guy considered one of the Portuguese-Americans, and what do you mean by "we know our own"? And how was it obvious he wasn't Portuguese-American?
Same way for example if you were traveling out of the country and ran into an American you would just know intuitively after observing a few seconds. In addition to picking out an American I can pick out a Luso-American there is an additional layer of culture, mannerisms, etiquette etc. You can't pick it out but I can.


He didn't look like one to start off and he tried too hard to be one it came across as unnatural and kinda phony but his heart was in it and he meant well so that makes him a tag along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM
 
112 posts, read 28,097 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Same way for example if you were traveling out of the country and ran into an American you would just know intuitively after observing a few seconds. In addition to picking out an American I can pick out a Luso-American there is an additional layer of culture, mannerisms, etiquette etc. You can't pick it out but I can.


He didn't look like one to start off and he tried too hard to be one it came across as unnatural and kinda phony but his heart was in it and he meant well so that makes him a tag along.


What does his physical appearance have to do with anything? Also he's of Portuguese descent so my blood and ethnicity he is one of you, because his roots are Portuguese as well, so why didn't you guys accept him as Portuguese when you know he's of Portuguese descent and Portugal is his ancestral homeland as well? if he had two parents of Portuguese descent and he looked 100% Portuguese would you still say he's trying too hard to be Portuguese?

Last edited by AzureKite; 12-01-2018 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
What does his physical appearance have to do with anything? Also he's of Portuguese descent so my blood and ethnicity he is one of you, because his roots are Portuguese as well, so why didn't you guys accept him as Portuguese when you know he's of Portuguese descent and Portugal is his ancestral homeland s well? if he had two parents of Portuguese descent and he look ed 1005 Portuguese would you still say he's trying too hard to be Portuguese?
It does and so do percentages in an indirect way some ethnicity estimates have me at about 1% Sub-Saharan African but I have enough sense to know I'm not Black and couldn't pass as Black even if I wanted to(I don't want to btw). So according to your argument I would qualify to be a Black man because I have some Black genes and Black people should accept me as one of them because of it. LOL

He carries some ancestry so he was partially Portuguese by ancestry being a descendant of Portuguese people isn't the same thing when you aren't brought up in the culture.

If he had both parents of Portuguese ancestry but not raised familiar with the culture I would consider him someone of Portuguese ancestry it's not the same thing as a Portuguese person or a what I consider a real Portuguese-American. A person with Portuguese ancestry and ignorant of the culture is certainly not a Portuguese people in my opinion in Portugal they would be a tourist with Portuguese ancestry but the interesting thing is that person would qualify for citizenship if they have at least one Portuguese grandparent. As far as Portugal goes the cutoff is 1/4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 05:51 PM
 
112 posts, read 28,097 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It does and so do percentages in an indirect way some ethnicity estimates have me at about 1% Sub-Saharan African but I have enough sense to know I'm not Black and couldn't pass as Black even if I wanted to(I don't want to btw). So according to your argument I would qualify to be a Black man because I have some Black genes and Black people should accept me as one of them because of it. LOL

He carries some ancestry so he was partially Portuguese by ancestry being a descendant of Portuguese people isn't the same thing when you aren't brought up in the culture.

If he had both parents of Portuguese ancestry but not raised familiar with the culture I would consider him someone of Portuguese ancestry it's not the same thing as a Portuguese person or a what I consider a real Portuguese-American. A person with Portuguese ancestry and ignorant of the culture is certainly not a Portuguese people in my opinion in Portugal they would be a tourist with Portuguese ancestry but the interesting thing is that person would qualify for citizenship if they have at least one Portuguese grandparent. As far as Portugal goes the cutoff is 1/4.


So why odes physical appearance and percentages matter to Portuguese people? if that guy was 1/2 Portuguese would he be more likely to be accepted as Portuguese? Also he comes from Portuguese people as well, his great-great-great grandparents were also Portuguese, and so was his 4x great-grandparents were also Portuguese. He comes from them, and wouldn't exist without them so he does come from Portugal originally and from Portuguese people as well. if the guy looked 100% classic Portuguese and was 50% or 80% Portuguese would Portuguese-Americans and you more likely accept him as Portuguese versus someone who looks 100% African?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,403 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
So why odes physical appearance and percentages matter to Portuguese people? if that guy was 1/2 Portuguese would he be more likely to be accepted as Portuguese? Also he comes from Portuguese people as well, his great-great-great grandparents were also Portuguese, and so was his 4x great-grandparents were also Portuguese. He comes from them, and wouldn't exist without them so he does come from Portugal originally and from Portuguese people as well. if the guy looked 100% classic Portuguese and was 50% or 80% Portuguese would Portuguese-Americans and you more likely accept him as Portuguese versus someone who looks 100% African?
Please start another thread if you want to continue to discuss this. You are talking in circles about percentages, it has been thoroughly explained to you that one Portuguese ancestor does not make you Portuguese even if you want to call yourself Portuguese, and your thesis that you are Portuguese has nothing to do with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:08 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
So why odes physical appearance and percentages matter to Portuguese people? if that guy was 1/2 Portuguese would he be more likely to be accepted as Portuguese? Also he comes from Portuguese people as well, his great-great-great grandparents were also Portuguese, and so was his 4x great-grandparents were also Portuguese. He comes from them, and wouldn't exist without them so he does come from Portugal originally and from Portuguese people as well. if the guy looked 100% classic Portuguese and was 50% or 80% Portuguese would Portuguese-Americans and you more likely accept him as Portuguese versus someone who looks 100% African?
Must be an evolutionary tribal thing that pre-dates history it isn't anything specific to Portuguese people and we as a whole are more inclusive that a lot of other groups, like I said tag alongs are sometimes welcome whereas some other tribes don't take tag alongs. LOL

If he's 1/2 people know either his mom or dad and he has uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents that likely are. It's a family-centric culture vs generic white American culture which is much more friend-centric and I suspect most people don't really count cousins beyond 2nd like I said if they're living in the area they know who they are but don't have outings with them.

I know families that are mixed one of the parent is either Angolan or Cape Verdean or part and most people accept them fine, a few AA's also but from my experience some Angolans and Cape Verdeans are a better fit culturally than AA's in general the marriages seem to last more often.

He was accepted just fine but there was a difference.

This will be my last post on the topic. I think I have explained myself beyond thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM
 
112 posts, read 28,097 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Must be an evolutionary tribal thing that pre-dates history it isn't anything specific to Portuguese people and we as a whole are more inclusive that a lot of other groups, like I said tag alongs are sometimes welcome whereas some other tribes don't take tag alongs. LOL

If he's 1/2 people know either his mom or dad and he has uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents that likely are. It's a family-centric culture vs generic white American culture which is much more friend-centric and I suspect most people don't really count cousins beyond 2nd like I said if they're living in the area they know who they are but don't have outings with them.

I know families that are mixed one of the parent is either Angolan or Cape Verdean or part and most people accept them fine, a few AA's also but from my experience some Angolans and Cape Verdeans are a better fit culturally than AA's in general the marriages seem to last more often.

He was accepted just fine but there was a difference.

This will be my last post on the topic. I think I have explained myself beyond thorough.

How come you guys don't consider him Portuguese-American or one of you? So does sharing a grandparent with someone a more "special connection then someone who is a 5th cousin who's 5xgreat uncle was a brother to his 5xgreat aunt/uncle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Status: "RIP Solomon Tekah" (set 7 days ago)
 
1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Reputation: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From Forbes, African Americans and Native Americans, Second Edition, p. 40:

"The color terms used ... are not diagnostic as to 'race' because they refer to color as perceived by the authorities and not to ancestry."
Man you're making me work, lol.

"The color terms used, such as loro (intermediate), negro (black or very dark), blanco (light), loro casi negro (brown, almost black), and so on are not diagnostic as to 'race' because they refer to color as perceived by the authorities and not to ancestry. It is especially helpful when the place of birth is given but otherwise it is not possible to tell whether a given loro (for example) is from the Americas, from the Canary Islands, from northern Africa, from India, or from Spain itself. The major exception is when an Arab or Islamic proper name accompanies the color designation." (Forbes 40)

That's close to the rest of the last paragraph on page 40 of the book. That was in reference to the Americans being sold as slaves in Spain (according to the notarial records of Seville & Valencia. Dates from 1472 to 1513). You can find the those records in Regesto Documental by Franco Silva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,403 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Man you're making me work, lol.

"The color terms used, such as loro (intermediate), negro (black or very dark), blanco (light), loro casi negro (brown, almost black), and so on are not diagnostic as to 'race' because they refer to color as perceived by the authorities and not to ancestry. It is especially helpful when the place of birth is given but otherwise it is not possible to tell whether a given loro (for example) is from the Americas, from the Canary Islands, from northern Africa, from India, or from Spain itself. The major exception is when an Arab or Islamic proper name accompanies the color designation."

That's close to the rest of the last paragraph on page 40 of the book. That was in reference to the Americans being sold as slaves in Spain (according to the notarial records of Seville & Valencia. Dates from 1472 to 1513). You can find the those records in Regesto Documental by Franco Silva.
Your point?

Mine is that nothing in that paragraph proves that there were "Black Native Americans" that were not due to admixture with Africans brought over by Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 2,033,975 times
Reputation: 5210
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your point?

Mine is that nothing in that paragraph proves that there were "Black Native Americans" that were not due to admixture with Africans brought over by Europeans.
Unfortunately to prove that, AAs would have research their family history. That's not going to happen on a large scale. But the truth will come out eventually. Next year is going to be a big year for this whole slave narrative. Just keep your eyes open from here on out. Things are going to get very interesting for America in the coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top