U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 05:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,033,975 times

Advertisements

Suzy, if you want to rely heavily on what DNA tells you, that's fine for you. I choose to view it as a single tool in the toolbox - no more or less important than any others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:18 PM

23,407 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
So does having a parent or a grandparent that's Portuguese make you Portuguese? I don't have one Portuguese ancestor by the way. My 3x great-grandparents and my 7x great-grandparents were also Portuguese as well. Being of Portuguese descent means you originate from Portugal, so I'm Portuguese by blood and ancestry and have a biological connection to Portugal.
Please start a different thread about this. It is not relevant to the OP.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Suzy, if you want to rely heavily on what DNA tells you, that's fine for you. I choose to view it as a single tool in the toolbox - no more or less important than any others.
With regard to your claim that African Americans are not descended from Africans DNA is more important, because it refutes your claim that there were "Black Natives" in the Americas before people arrived here from Africa.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM

112 posts, read 28,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If DNA tells you something different from your "old school research" you need to do more research. That is how people discover their dad is not their biological father.

DNA ethnicity results are estimates and may change as the comparison database is refined. My ethnicity results are totally congruent with my paper trail - except for that pesky tiny fraction of a percent that is Mongolian.

How do you tell what is true or not unless you can find documents to support it?

Why not do your DNA and see if you can find NA admixture?
If I had a Portuguese parent would you still say I'm not Portuguese?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
If I had a Portuguese parent would you still say I'm not Portuguese?
Please start your own thread. This has nothing to do with the OP.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
With regard to your claim that African Americans are not descended from Africans DNA
That's what you heard. That's not what I said.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I have seen several DNA test results from Gullah AAs and they on average are 95% or more African. Some that are 100% African can even be found in this ethnic group of AAs. So your mother side being Gullah explains your high 90% percent Sub-Saharan African.
South Carolina had some of the harshest laws regarding contact between free people and blacks (a legacy that continues today). It was illegal for free people to live with or trade with blacks (Negroes). S. Carolina wad fairly unique this way. That's why black people in South Carolina likely have the closest links to Africa.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That's what you heard. That's not what I said.
So ancestors of your "Black Natives" came from Africa before Africans were brought to the Americas by Europeans?

Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? It states that the simplest explanation for a situation is probably the correct one. We know people were brought from Africa, most of them in the last 400 years. We know they lived and reproduced here, with European (and some NA) admixture. You have yet to provide any scientific evidence that Native Americans are the result of ancient colonization from Africa.

Occam's Razor leads us to say African Americans are descendants of those Africans brought here roughly 400 years ago. Native Americans are descendants of people that crossed the land bridge from Asia to the Americas and share DNA with people in Asia, not Africa. Black Indians are of mixed African and Native American ancestry,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...icans-7986049/

https://americanindian.si.edu/exhibitions/indivisible/

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Listen. Black people are the original people. We descend from the tribes in the Bible. So technically, we have moved all over. And we have family all over. These states, and these countries in Africa, are a European construction. They created imaginary borders and divisions. It's What they're good at.

I didn't want to go there but you keep trying to get me to admit my folks came from Africa, and I'm just not going to do that simply because you can't accept that descendants of Europeans are squatting on our land. I am indigenous to America until proven otherwise...to the dismay of the colonizers' children who want to believe my people are inferior.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:03 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,436,210 times
Quote:
So ancestors of your "Black Natives" came from Africa before Africans were brought to the Americas by Europeans?

Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? It states that the simplest explanation for a situation is probably the correct one. We know people were brought from Africa, most of them in the last 400 years. We know they lived and reproduced here, with European (and some NA) admixture. You have yet to provide any scientific evidence that Native Americans are the result of ancient colonization from Africa.

Occam's Razor leads us to say African Americans are descendants of those Africans brought here roughly 400 years ago. Native Americans are descendants of people that crossed the land bridge from Asia to the Americas and share DNA with people in Asia, not Africa. Black Indians are of mixed African and Native American ancestry,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...icans-7986049/

https://americanindian.si.edu/exhibitions/indivisible/
Lol It is crazy that you even have to explain that to some one in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or