U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 05:45 PM

23,410 posts, read 28,257,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
No, I'm African-American because that's what the government reclassified me as. At some point I would have been "Black", then "Negro", then "Colored". One must ask themselves why so-called "African-Americans" get the distinct honor of being renamed every few decades. It's to lose us in time and drive home the slave narrative so we don't claim what's ours. Twice now I've found so-called "black" relatives in censuses that pre-date 1870. I was able to find them because I'm good at research. But if you believe your people came from slaves then you wouldn't even think to look in records prior to 1870. As I've mentioned twice now, I have relatives who were classified as "white" and then later "black". How the heck does that happen? I can see going from "white" to "mulatto", but black? Perhaps it's because the government knew the end game and it was a way to give our land to another people. That explains some of these white households with names that are basically identical to black households. Then after they take our land, the change our name.

Why haven't white people had their name changed? Why can't you be "Blanco" or "Non-colored"? Why do you get to be "white" throughout America's history and I don't get to keep a standard name? Because your folks stole our land and don't want us to figure it out.
No matter what the label is, if you are African American, some of your ancestors came from Africa. What proportion that "some" is can vary a lot.

The labels used have indeed changed, and more recently it has been black folks driving the preferred usage. The "government" did not "reclassify" you. As far as the Federal Census is concerned, it now gives people more options to choose from to classify themselves.

Black in America: It's not just about the color of your skin In America - CNN.com Blogs

There are resources available to help African Americans research their families prior to 1870. If you have relatives that were classified as "white" and later "black" you really need to be sure you are looking at records for the same people and not a white family and a black family with the same names. It could also be a simple transcription error. That is a far more likely scenario than a conspiracy theory for some mysterious "they" to "take" your land, then "change your name".

https://www.rootstech.org/blog/4-eas...ealogy-newbies

https://www.rootstech.org/blog/key-r...ealogy-newbies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,318,179 times
Quote:
And when we got around to "African-American" how come you guys weren't "European-American"? Someone please explain.
I was never a fan of the PC term African-American, unless you grew up and immigrated from Africa. You're 100% American, like I'm 100% American, even though 6 out of 8 of my great-grandparents were born in Europe. I'm not European-American, I didn't grow up there, I'm American!

I only use -American for people who immigrate to the USA, and maybe the children of immigrates born here, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th........generation, heck no, you're American, we're American.

I have black friends and co-workers who hate the term African-American, they have the same reasoning as me, they didn't grow up there, they were born and raised in the US and have been here for over a hundred years, much longer than most of my ancestors.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I have black friends and co-workers who hate the term African-American, they have the same reasoning as me, they didn't grow up there, they were born and raised in the US and have been here for over a hundred years, much longer than most of my ancestors.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was never a fan of the PC term African-American, unless you grew up and immigrated from Africa. You're 100% American, like I'm 100% American, even though 6 out of 8 of my great-grandparents were born in Europe. I'm not European-American, I didn't grow up there, I'm American!

I only use -American for people who immigrate to the USA, and maybe the children of immigrates born here, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th........generation, heck no, you're American, we're American.

I have black friends and co-workers who hate the term African-American, they have the same reasoning as me, they didn't grow up there, they were born and raised in the US and have been here for over hundred years, much longer than most of my ancestors.
Up until the latter 1800s, blacks in america were "Africans." That's why the African American Church is "African"--that's what blacks were called, until the 14th amendment made us "Americans."

There has always been some use of the term "blacks" but it was not preferred until the latter 60s. At that time, it was a deliberate political response, pretty much an Eff-You-In-Your-Face gesture to "white" America.

"I'm colored and I'm proud" or "I'm Negro and I'm proud" didn't have nearly the same impact as "I'm black, and I'm proud."

We took ownership of the word. It was the polar opposite of "white," a total rejection of any desire to assimilate or imitate, as far from "white" as we could get.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you have relatives that were classified as "white" and later "black" you really need to be sure you are looking at records for the same people and not a white family and a black family with the same names.

It's the same people. As I've said on CD before (maybe not in this forum), in most other countries being "white" is a status thing (it's a status thing here too...but that's another discussion). You can have dark-brown skin and be classified as "white" in official records (in other countries). I've cross-referenced all these records, and they are the same people. They had property, so perhaps that's why they were considered "white". So-called Hispanic people can be "white" in our records any we know they aren't culturally white. I have to keep reiterating that race is a scam.

Nothing in the government "just happens". Census records are legal documents. If your citizenship is ever in question, you better believe these records can make or break you. Birthright citizenship matters. Ask an immigrant.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We took ownership of the word.

"We"? Since when have you been black? I recognize your name from somewhere else on CD. Never struck me as black...ever. Learn something new everyday.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:14 PM

20,126 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:

"We"? Since when have you been black? I recognize your name from somewhere else on CD. Never struck me as black...ever. Learn something new everyday.
I remember "White" and "Colored" signs.

When I first grew my 'Fro as a teenager in 68, it was not a fashion statement, it was a political statement. I remember a man squinting at me and asking, "Are you one of them revolutionaries?"

Old 12-05-2018, 06:31 PM

23,410 posts, read 28,257,722 times
Quote:
It's the same people. As I've said on CD before (maybe not in this forum), in most other countries being "white" is a status thing (it's a status thing here too...but that's another discussion). You can have dark-brown skin and be classified as "white" in official records (in other countries). I've cross-referenced all these records, and they are the same people. They had property, so perhaps that's why they were considered "white". So-called Hispanic people can be "white" in our records any we know they aren't culturally white. I have to keep reiterating that race is a scam.

Nothing in the government "just happens". Census records are legal documents. If your citizenship is ever in question, you better believe these records can make or break you. Birthright citizenship matters. Ask an immigrant.
I think what other countries do is irrelevant.

Merely owning property would not cause someone to be called white.

"Hispanic" is not a race; it's an ethnicity. There is no "so called" about it. Hispanics can be any race. My Mexican DIL is one of the whitest people I know. Culturally she is Hispanic.

Census records cannot be used to confirm citizenship. Everything in them is self reported, and the data are only good if the reporting person knows the correct information and gives it honestly.

Race is not a "scam." The sad thing about race in the US is the politicization - by people of all races.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Merely owning property would not cause someone to be called white.

It would if you want to later set up a colonizing family (who ironically has the same names as the indigenous who you forced to adopt "Christian" names) to inherit ancestral lands that aren't theirs.

We aren't going to agree. I feel like I'm talking in circles now, which is my cue to exit.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM

112 posts, read 28,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You should find out from a wider swath of black people who have these DNA test done. My Results showed many different African groups from all over Africa, the largest being from Nigeria and there was indeed a some Andalusian.
Africans have the most diverse DNA on the planet. It is been proved by National Geographic that two Africans from a particular tribe can have more diverse DNA than any two randomly selected people in the world. Only wilful ignorance would make a person think that any person with African DNA would not carry the DNA of more than one African group.

DNA and ancestry is not the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or