U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM

20,248 posts, read 11,227,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
While they quite likely object to being called African American you bet that they have identities which dont include whites because daily they are reminded that most whites have identities which dont include them.

When many scream "Make America Great AGAIN" how many blacks identify with this? Was the USA great in the 1950s?

The USA is a nation divided by race and ethnic identities and to pretend otherwise is plain silly.
I was a little kid in Oklahoma in late 50s. I had an aunt in high school at the time who was in the marching band, playing clarinet.

I recall there was a town parade for the county fair--the purpose of a parade was to display the county culture. My mother took me to the parade, and when the high school band marched by, I strained to see my aunt.

Somehow, I didn't really connect in my head the fact that everyone in the parade was white--just that I didn't see my aunt.

I asked my mother, "Where is Aunt Faith?"

She said, "We can't be in their parade."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

20,248 posts, read 11,227,661 times
Quote:
Well do some history reading and you will find out that there were Native groups who also owned black slaves. Also research what is going on today where some Native groups (some individuals looking very white) are attempting to exclude the black members of their tribe. They dont want blacks within their tribe.

https://www.npr.org/2011/09/19/14059...tions-decision
That is a huge deal with Oklahoma blacks in the Tulsa area.

So, yeah, blacks did the Trail of Tears as well...and had to carry the luggage. And continued to be slaves through the Civil War (the Cherokees sided with the CSA).

Old 12-19-2018, 05:24 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That is a huge deal with Oklahoma blacks in the Tulsa area.

So, yeah, blacks did the Trail of Tears as well...and had to carry the luggage. And continued to be slaves through the Civil War (the Cherokees sided with the CSA).
It gets down to the fact that even Native Americans think that they are better than blacks. Since I learned that I lost sympathy for their problems or their narratives, because given the opportunity they would be no better.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,757,610 times
Quote:
It gets down to the fact that even Native Americans think that they are better than blacks.
Quote:
Since I learned that I lost sympathy for their problems or their narratives, because given the opportunity they would be no better.
Who doesn't though, to be honest?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM

350 posts, read 610,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This can vary with African descendant people in the western hemisphere. It may be more true that Black-Americans are more of a mixture of Africans. But in the Caribbean and Latin America specific African groups can be seen in the cultural influence in some countries. Haitians are probably largely Fon people from Dahomey(modern day Benin)because of Voodoo. Black Cubans may be largely Yoruba and Congolese people because of Santeria and Palo Mayombe. Black Brazilians are largely Yoruba,Angolan and Mozambique descendant because of Candomble and Capoeira from Angola. Black Jamaicans I think are largely Akan people of Ghana.
Actually Jamaica received a bit more slaves from the Bight of Biafra than current Ghana. Jamaicans are just more identified with the Ashanti tribe. It's the same with Haiti, slaves from the Congo-Angola region were more numerous but slaves from Benin came earlier and set a greater influence

Old 12-24-2018, 05:21 PM

691 posts, read 921,812 times
Does anyone think African Ancestry is a scam? I am starting to get suspicious, they seem to claim a lot of AAs have ancestry
with the Tikar people in Cameroon I will have to look into history to see if it can be backed up...The impression is that this
particular group seems to make up the ancestry of many AAs according to them. I have never heard of this group until I saw
results from African Ancestry.

If I can find actual records of Tikar people shipped to the U.S. that would alleviate my suspicions.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:29 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,047,813 times
I don't think they are a scam. I haven't looked into all the groups they claim AAs descend from but I did look into one from Cameroon (don't remember the name), and those people shared lots of cultural characteristics of AAs. To me, that is the "tell". Does this African tribe's behavior mirror that of AAs (historically - not today )? You have to look at geography and history to pull the picture together. You cannot just look at DNA in isolation.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:54 PM

23,469 posts, read 28,365,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Does anyone think African Ancestry is a scam? I am starting to get suspicious, they seem to claim a lot of AAs have ancestry
with the Tikar people in Cameroon I will have to look into history to see if it can be backed up...The impression is that this
particular group seems to make up the ancestry of many AAs according to them. I have never heard of this group until I saw

If I can find actual records of Tikar people shipped to the U.S. that would alleviate my suspicions.
This might be helpful.

Roots Revealed: The Tikar People of Cameroon

https://blackhistory938.wordpress.co...ameroon-roots/

Old 12-25-2018, 05:10 AM

350 posts, read 610,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

I kinda have the same feeling about Black Americans tracing their ancestry to Cameroon. There's a bit too much and I wonder if it's not overestimated by researchers. When you look at the major slave sports in Africa, there's not a single one in present-day Cameroon. The closest was Calabar in Nigeria near the border between both countries. There's also not a lot of evidence of Cameroonian influence in the Americas except for the Abakuŗ fraternity in Cuba. So I'm suspicious too about those Cameroonian results.

It's the same with the company AncestryDNA, they made this Cameroon/Congo category (now Cameroon, Congo and southern Bantu peoples). Most videos I've seen, many are focus on Cameroon while they have more likely ancestry from the Congo region. Tracing African Roots made a good article about it: "Cameroon/Congo" = moreso Angola/Congo for the Diasporans ?

About the company African ancestry, I watched tons of videos on Youtube and it's always the same ethnic groups that comes out: Bamileke or Tikar people (Cameroon), Balanta people (Guinea-Bissau, Gambia and Senegal), Mende and Temne people (Sierra Leone), Hausa people, Fulani people, Igbo people, Yoruba people, Fang people (Equatorial Guinea, Gabon), Biaka people (Central African Republic) and Mbundu people (Angola). I can assure you that if you take this test, you will have one of these answers.

The most I've seen it's Bamileke, Tikar, Mende and Balanta ancestry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If indeed Tikar people were part of the slaves brought from the Bight of Biafra then I've seen more people tracing their ancestry to Cameroonian ethnic groups (Bamileke and Tikar people) than Nigerian ethnic groups while it's documented everywhere that Igbo people were the largest enslaved people imported from the Bight of Biafra and I find it hard to believe that there were more Tikar people. Maybe there were listed in the "Unknown Africa" or "Other Africa" category.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:06 AM

3,459 posts, read 946,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Every video I've watched concerning people of the African diaspora taking the DNA test has shown their results revealing multiple ancestral lineages, especially African. Just about every African American is generally a mixture of various West/Central African nations or tribes. There's also a degree of Southeastern African lineage as well in many of us. I have yet to come across an African-American that has taken the test get results revealing to be predominately of just one African nationality, let alone a tribe/ethnicity.
My DNA showed several also in West and Central. What was interesting was the Portuguese I had. I later found out that the Portuguese explored the western coast of Africa, Cape Verde Islands and the coast of Senegal, and the mouth of the River Congo in 1482. They did slave raids I hear. They even sailed around the Cape of Good Hope. I image many other countries explored the shores of Africa, mixing it around even further. There was also a ton of European(Spain, Portuguese) and some Scandinavian(total surprise).

Another surprising DNA find was the circle around Madagascar and other southeastern areas. I've been told my ancestors would only be West African by a few people. But after a little research, I found it true roughly 7% came from that area.

So I was definitely not just one flavor. It would be nice to pin it down to more specific areas like this lady in the video seems to be able to do. Maybe I'll check that out. I do know the migration patterns of people from the African deserts going north was quite prominent, so given that migration period way before slavery makes it even harder to find anything narrowed down.

Only about 500–600,000 slaves out of an estimated 13,000,000 had been brought to the United States, the large majority went to the Caribbean and various areas of continental Latin America. Brazil actually started the slave trade. So, you think about that and the migration to North America from the South and it's daunting. Plus, adding in those who were fathered by anyone along the slave trade and or migration from South America, (who most likely have some Native American DNA), to North America. Then adding on that not all DNA is passed down from parents, only some. It's very washed out by this point. Very hard to not just say, were all mix, everyone, so who cares. lol

I love this kind of thing. I know it's not that accurate but eventually, it might be. Looking at DNA and studying migration patterns is a very interesting combination.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 12-25-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or