U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:03 PM

691 posts, read 918,347 times

Advertisements

I have had West Africans from 2 different countries and ethnic groups tell me I don't need to take a DNA test, that I look
Fulani one guy (was is a Fula) always calls me "Fulani Man" , one AA who lived in Nigeria told me he does that because I
look like someone from his village.

One guy I know from Ivory Coast told me a lot of AAs(the unmixed ones he said) look like people he know from Ghana and Senegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 03:57 PM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I have had West Africans from 2 different countries and ethnic groups tell me I don't need to take a DNA test, that I look
Fulani one guy (was is a Fula) always calls me "Fulani Man" , one AA who lived in Nigeria told me he does that because I
look like someone from his village.

One guy I know from Ivory Coast told me a lot of AAs(the unmixed ones he said) look like people he know from Ghana and Senegal.
I've known Africans to say that, but only for the occasional African American who didn't look like there was any significant mixture of anything else. Even then, I just shrugged that off as how the genetic dice rolled for that individual.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:18 AM

691 posts, read 918,347 times
Right, one never knows how the genes will fall, someone could look very African and still be mixed and you can also have differences among unmixed Africans. I knew one West African family, the dad is blue-black, the son is dark like Michael Jordan
but his sister is medium brown and they are all unmixed West Africans.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 625,717 times
My results from AncestryDNA:

Cameroon/Congo/Southern Bantu- 44%
Benin/Togo - 36%
Mali - 5%
Cote D'Ivoire / Ghana - 3%
Sengal & Nigeria - 1% each.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,413,811 times
I'm a little late, but that few pages back is so silly

Native Americans in America were not black, There are few areas in South America were dark skin is possible but not the US.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4e8adb0e...snq9o1_500.gif

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGPjHIhW0AEnBe7.jpg

The next error is some yall don't understand dark and black looking native Americans some yall posted is because they likely park black. Some Runaway slaves seek refuge with native Americans, also it's important to note Native Americans also became slave holders. So there were black people on native american reservations but this doesn't make them native. This makes them African decedents on native american reservations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU7Ko9lv5f4

last another thing to note genealogists and historians have repeatedly stated that very few black Americans have a large amount of native ancestry or any at all.

https://www.jetmag.com/entertainment...y-louis-gates/
The other thing that may surprise you is that very few African-Americans have any Native American ancestry, he says. Its a myth. We all think that we have direct Indian ancestry. The reason your ancestor had high cheek bones and straight black hair is because of your white ancestors. If we did the DNA of all the Black men in the NBA for example, 35% descend from a white man. Thirty-five percent of all Black men that you see on the streets of Harlem and the South side of Chicago, Watts, wherever, descend from a white man because of rape, sexuality and slavery.

Gates, who is of African-American and Irish descent, also said that most Blacks have less than 1 percent Native American in their DNA, and average around 24 percent European.

I asked Chris Rock on camera for Finding Your Roots, where did this myth come from? And he says, Its easier for obvious reasons to make up a myth about Native American ancestry than to think about rape, to think about slavery and how your ancestors got those high cheekbones and straight black hair. And I hadnt thought about it, but hes absolutely correct.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...02929714004765
Previous studies have shown that African Americans in the US typically carry segments of DNA shaped by contributions from peoples of Europe, Africa, and the Americas, with variation in African and European admixture proportions across individuals and differences in groups across parts of the country.2, 3, 4 More recent studies that utilized high-density genotype data provide reliable individual ancestry estimates, illustrate the large variability in African and European ancestry proportions at an individual level, and are able to detect low proportions of Native American ancestry
but there literally was people trying to argue that black American decedents from dark natives and Trans alantic slave trade was overstate )

Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
You are correct. Natives in America weren't "black". That label used to describe them came about much later.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:11 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,413,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You are correct. Natives in America weren't "black". That label used to describe them came about much later.
It was never described to them,

"Black" came later to describe the people of African descent,

DNA studies have should very little black Americans have native ancestry, and native of the US did not have dark skin, the dark skin people living among native where African descent people they was mix or full, African slaves fleed to natives and some native Americans actually engaged in practice of slavery towards people of African descent.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
Native American ancestry is going to be determined by recorded evidence. DNA is not going to show it because the DNA they use as the controlling sample came from a much younger person of European descent. I will accept DNA as evidence once they use the right person for the sample. It's ludicrous to use European DNA as the base when all native people predate the European.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Native American ancestry is going to be determined by recorded evidence. DNA is not going to show it because the DNA they use as the controlling sample came from a much younger person of European descent. I will accept DNA as evidence once they use the right person for the sample. It's ludicrous to use European DNA as the base when all native people predate the European.
This doesn't make any sense you're making things up as you go along you don't even have the basics down on reference populations.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 PM

23,394 posts, read 28,226,906 times
Quote:
They do not use Europeans as the comparison sample for Native Americans. Because NAs have in general not been willing to have DNA sampling done the majority of the comparison group is Central and South American natives, which are genetically related to North American natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or