Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

That's more proof! Igbos and AAs actually look very similar, and legend has it that instead of being forced into slavery, Igbos committed suicide as a group. Look up "Igbo Landing". I would like to find the origin of the name "Igbo". I have always felt this tribe was our kin in some way.

ETA: Quick wiki has "Igbo" spelled as "Heebo" too. I've seen "Heebo" in historical docs, though I can't produce any at the moment. People thought it was another way to spell "Hebrew".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:11 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That's more proof! Igbos and AAs actually look very similar, and legend has it that instead of being forced into slavery, Igbos committed suicide as a group. Look up "Igbo Landing". I would like to find the origin of the name "Igbo". I have always felt this tribe was our kin in some way.

ETA: Quick wiki has "Igbo" spelled as "Heebo" too. I've seen "Heebo" in historical docs, though I can't produce any at the moment. People thought it was another way to spell "Hebrew".
Well, since a lot of slaves in North America were Igbo it would not be unusual for them to "look similar" would it?

The suicides are not "legend", they are factual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Americans

"My research suggests that perhaps 60 percent of black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor..."

Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 PM

You're right, but there's the division. They don't see us as connected. They see themselves as Nigerian and us black. But the history of the Igbo people is very similar to the history of AAs. They are even from southeastern Nigeria. We are from southeastern United States. Four corners of the earth...

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You're right, but there's the division. They don't see us as connected. They see themselves as Nigerian and us black. But the history of the Igbo people is very similar to the history of AAs. They are even from southeastern Nigeria. We are from southeastern United States. Four corners of the earth...
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. If 60% of American blacks have Igbo ancestors, then having Igbo traits would be expected.

It would also be expected for modern immigrants from Africa to identify themselves as African, not African American.

The "history of the Igbo people" in Africa is not "very similar to the history of AAs". A majority of AAs have at least one Igbo ancestor. The reference to southeast Nigeria and southeast US makes no sense. It has nothing too do with anything.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 PM

If natives here were sovereign, it would make sense for slavers to bring in people like the Indians who had established trade networks and community structures. I know a little more about Choctaw because that's supposed to be in my lineage. The Choctaw were pretty neutral and stayed out of the fray. Natchez Indians, for example, were more prone to fight. Eventually Choctaw were pulled into conflicts but they were entrepreneurial. So are the Igbo. Igbos also farm. Southern US? Farming. There are a lot of parallels, but I still maintain the number of slaves brought here is way overstated. If you really sit down and think critically, it was kinda logistically impossible. Even today...moving things by ship is NOT quick. What happened is they brought a handful of folks on cargo ships. The rest they got from here as prisoners of war. All people think about when they think about AAs is "slavery". America loooooooves the slave story! No doubt she'd love to show remnants of slave ships in her museums - like a prized cow. But where are they?

Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
If natives here were sovereign, it would make sense for slavers to bring in people like the Indians who had established trade networks and community structures. I know a little more about Choctaw because that's supposed to be in my lineage. The Choctaw were pretty neutral and stayed out of the fray. Natchez Indians, for example, were more prone to fight. Eventually Choctaw were pulled into conflicts but they were entrepreneurial. So are the Igbo. Igbos also farm. Southern US? Farming. There are a lot of parallels, but I still maintain the number of slaves brought here is way overstated. If you really sit down and think critically, it was kinda logistically impossible. Even today...moving things by ship is NOT quick. What happened is they brought a handful of folks on cargo ships. The rest they got from here as prisoners of war. All people think about when they think about AAs is "slavery". America loooooooves the slave story! No doubt she'd love to show remnants of slave ships in her museums - like a prized cow. But where are they?
How did slavers "bring in people like the Indians"? They were already here.

Estimates of the number of slaves brought to the New World are based on written records. No one will ever be able to provide a definitive number down to the last person because those records are incomplete. That's why it's called an estimate.

Search The Voyages Database

I think you need to do a bit more research on the Atlantic slave trade, including how many people were crammed into the cargo hold like sardines in a can.

https://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/african-...slanded_lg.jpg

Methodology

There were on average about 265 slaves disembarked per voyage and over 40,000 voyages between 1514 and 1866.

You vastly underestimate the magnitude of the slave trade.

The slave ships were wooden. Not many ships survive from that era, slaver or not.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/sl...rnd/index.html

The Clotilda carried 110 slaves from Benin to Mobile in 1860.

A new book about one of the last survivors of the Atlantic slave trade, who arrived on the Clotilda:

https://www.history.com/news/zora-ne...tilda-survivor

Some slave ships sank.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.a5f2c4721f8a

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.c3f2b1795b02

Here is a list of the world's oldest known survivng ships. Note there are very few from the eighteenth century. Old wooden ships eventually went the way of today's cars I suspect: scrapped when it became impractical to maintain them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.9488787c07ce

That there are no intact slave ships in museums does not mean they never existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...urviving_ships

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-27-2018 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I am a 24 yr old Black american male and my racial percentages basically are 85% West African 5% Central African and 10% Northwestern European. I have a milk chocolate complexion , very athletic build with a shorter torso and long legs with dread locked hair. My white features are

My nose with although it is very wise has a pretty high bridge.
My skin tone being noticeably lighter than most west Africans but still darker than many west Africans.
My hair, which although is kinky and wooly it is noticeably looser and softer to the touc than every one of my west African friends and the “baby hairs†on the edges are much more prominent.

However I could easily blend in from a looks stand point with west Africans. And have often been asked if I am Nigerian. That being said I am a bit blacker Han you average AA 10% white and not 15% white. All of my immediate and extended family of my generation and generations immediately before me look black. Some of them are extremely black and look sorta leonean. My mother side of the family is Gullah and my great great grand father on my dads side was mostly white if not entirely white-I have seen pictures of him, his small eyes and wide nose suggest a little African admixture.whiteness becomes pretty noticeably at 20-25% id say.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:11 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Chiatldal, your deeming people looney is very premature because you don't have all of the facts. I think treemoni was referring to the $5 Indians (correct me if I were wrong).

Regarding your points on color, again, I don't feel you have all of the facts. I have a book by Jack D. Forbes called Africans and Native Americans and he has the accounts of the early explorers who came into contact with the indigenous population of the Americas and they knew what hues they saw.
I said that because the argument is a "conspiracy theory" and this whole argument itself is deeming, denying the trans Atlantic slaver trade is like deny the holocaust.

Also "facts" aren't what you feel fact are facts thing that can be scientific or historical documented, yall argument is so imfactual is rest on conspiracy. Not only Am I giving facts but other posters are as wells, y'all not even counting ours facts. Base on genetics base on appearance base on culture, base on written history, the overwhelming evidence is saying y'all are extremely inaccurate.

And last this response here is a "straw men" no one is saying many Black America aren't mix, yes some native Americans mixed with The black slave population but does that mean the Native American population that mix i is greater or even remotely close to significant of the amount African Slaves in the US.....no. black Americans are predominantly African ancestry.

To countine the straw man the last paragraph you made my exact point, I said Native American were group as color, treemoni was calling Natives blacks Native were never called black people they group as color... color was a vague category but treemoni keeps referring to natives as blacks and trying describe them with Afro hair texture, And a dark complexion non of that is correct. They were tan even those on mix with blacks were tan, they were not black, There conspiracy theorist who try to pesudo history that were "black" Native Americans, I was correct him or her, the irony is you backed my point thinking your helping treemoni.

1. Native Americans were not black they were tan and did not have African features hair and etc.

2. Yes Black American are mix, with European and some with Native but they Ancestry is predominantly African.

Last edited by chiatldal; 11-28-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 05:45 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I said that because the argument is a "conspiracy theory" and this whole argument itself is deeming, denying the trans Atlantic slaver trade is like deny the holocaust.

Also "facts" aren't what you feel fact are facts thing that can be scientific or historical documented, yall argument is so imfactual is rest on conspiracy. Not only Am I giving facts but other posters are as wells, y'all not even counting ours facts. Base on genetics base on appearance base on culture, base on written history, the overwhelming evidence is saying y'all are extremely inaccurate.

And last this response here is a "straw men" no one is saying many Black America aren't mix, yes some native Americans mixed with The black slave population but does that mean the Native American population that mix i is greater or even remotely close to significant of the amount African Slaves in the US.....no. black Americans are predominantly African ancestry.

To countine the straw man the last paragraph you made my exact point, I said Native American were group as color, treemoni was calling Natives blacks Native were never called black people they group as color... color was a vague category but treemoni keeps referring to natives as blacks and trying describe them with Afro hair texture, And a dark complexion non of that is correct. They were tan even those on mix with blacks were tan, they were not black, There conspiracy theorist who try to pesudo history that were "black" Native Americans, I was correct him or her, the irony is you backed my point thinking your helping treemoni.

1. Native Americans were not black they were tan and did not have African features hair and etc.

2. Yes Black American are mix, with European and some with Native but they Ancestry is predominantly African.
Chi, you've really lost me with this post man. I haven't knocked your point(s) at all. I also haven't denied that the Atlantic slave trade happened. Why would I? All things considered, I can come to the conclusion that the Atlantic slave trade didn't happen the way we were taught. I'm not sure how I'm helping your point, I just said that you have to consider all points and use your ability to reason before you start accusing people of being off.

There are many historical accounts and drawings from many early explorers that counters everything that you've said. There's nothing pseudo about that man. Be honest now.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Chi, you've really lost me with this post man. I haven't knocked your point(s) at all. I also haven't denied that the Atlantic slave trade happened. Why would I? All things considered, I can come to the conclusion that the Atlantic slave trade didn't happen the way we were taught. I'm not sure how I'm helping your point, I just said that you have to consider all points and use your ability to reason before you start accusing people of being off.

There are many historical accounts and drawings from many early explorers that counters everything that you've said. There's nothing pseudo about that man. Be honest now.
What is taught about the Atlantic slave trade did not happen the way it is taught?

How can "historical accounts and drawings from many early explorers" counter what DNA now tells us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa