Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It is been proved by National Geographic that two Africans from a particular tribe can have more diverse DNA than any two randomly selected people in the world.
This is interesting. I am going to have to do more research, but this lines up with info I've received. Except the difference is that AAs have peculiar markers that aren't shared with most continental Africans but are shared with select groups across the world, including a few European groups. Unsurprisingly, one of those groups is Irish. This makes sense because Irish and blacks mixed and the Irish were treated like blacks before we became "black". It is said that most tribes in Africa do not have much diversity in their DNA. The special AA markers can be found among select groups in Cameroon and other tribes. It suggests that the ancestors of AAs were migrating (which is what I believe anyway). This theory that AAs have unique markers different from continental Africans is also supported by the fact that only 300k or so "African" slaves were taken to the US. It is not a coincidence that such a small number was taken. They knew exactly who they wanted in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This is interesting. I am going to have to do more research, but this lines up with info I've received. Except the difference is that AAs have peculiar markers that aren't shared with most continental Africans but are shared with select groups across the world, including a few European groups. Unsurprisingly, one of those groups is Irish. This makes sense because Irish and blacks mixed and the Irish were treated like blacks before we became "black". It is said that most tribes in Africa do not have much diversity in their DNA. The special AA markers can be found among select groups in Cameroon and other tribes. It suggests that the ancestors of AAs were migrating (which is what I believe anyway). This theory that AAs have unique markers different from continental Africans is also supported by the fact that only 300k or so "African" slaves were taken to the US. It is not a coincidence that such a small number was taken. They knew exactly who they wanted in this country.
Study Finds Africans More Genetically Diverse Than Other Populations

Africans are more genetically diverse than the inhabitants of the rest of the world combined, according to a sweeping study that carried researchers into remote regions to sample the bloodlines of more than 100 distinct populations.

Part of my family history is an account of a black person coming to the US on their own accord from Great Britain and being sold into slavery. I don't think that scenario is rare. So that person's DNA might have come from Africa but not necessarily the Atlantic Slave Trade. Once European's established a market for Slaves, African leaders were compelled to go and find (conquer) people to supply this market.

Its unlikely they would sell off their own tribesmen. The market was in West Africa but the supply could have come from further away at least until Europeans stopped trading for slaves and began the practice of raiding coastal African nations. Some people like to point out that Africans initially sold slaves but IMO it was a far more humane practice than what Europeans did to Native Americans and Jews.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-05-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 AM

Yes...because the ancestors of African-Americans have traveled around the world for thousands of years. That would explain the diversity in their DNA. Most continental Africans? Not so much.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
Yes...because the ancestors of African-Americans have traveled around the world for thousands of years. That would explain the diversity in their DNA. Most continental Africans? Not so much.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/s...n-history.html

all non-Africans today trace their ancestry to a single population emerging from Africa between 50,000 and 80,000 years ago.

Their DNA has already left Africa

Old 12-05-2018, 11:06 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/s...n-history.html

all non-Africans today trace their ancestry to a single population emerging from Africa between 50,000 and 80,000 years ago.

Their DNA has already left Africa
I was going to say the same thing, every single male's Y chromosome on this planet (no matter how little melanin you have in your skin!) came from Africa from "Adam" or whatever you want to call him or his population. Everyone's mitochondrial DNA came from Africa, from "Eve" or whatever you want to call her or her population.

If you go back far enough, we're all African, even us whities!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Encoded in your DNA is every place your ancestors have been, ergo, AAs will show diversity in their DNA. Because. their. ancestors. have. been. on. earth. since. the. beginning. of. time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you go back far enough, we're all African, even us whities!

The only problem with that is they aren't comparing your DNA to ancient DNA. They are using DNA from a much younger person (likely because Europeans are only about 6,000 years old and they want to continue to promote European superiority.). So your argument doesn't work to explain why AAs have such diversity in their DNA when many continental Africans do not (likely because they don't migrate like AA's ancestors). AAs are said to have diverse DNA because they are mixed with Europeans, but actually it's because they descend from the original people.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
So your argument doesn't work to explain why AAs have such diversity in their DNA when many continental Africans do not (likely because they don't migrate like AA's ancestors). AAs are said to have diverse DNA because they are mixed with Europeans, but actually it's because they descend from the original people.

I wasn't trying to argue at all why AA have such diversity in their DNA or not, just pointing out when I did the original Nat Geo Genographic Project by Spenser Wells back in 2005, my Y-Chromosome results showed I came from the E-V13 (E1b1b1a1b1a) Paternal Haplogroup, meaning ~30,000 years ago my Y Chromosome came out of Africa going northeast around the Mediterranean through present day Turkey and over to the Balkans\Greece and Southeastern Europe!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:

No, it is not "said that most tribes in Africa do not have much diversity in their DNA." The opposite is true, because Africa is where modern humans came from.

Genetic studies reveal diversity of early human populations

That the Irish were discriminated against has nothing to with blacks being discriminated against. It just means that AAs are not the only group that has experienced discrimination.

What "special AA markers" are you referring to? Source, please? If AAs have "unique markers different from continental Africans" it is likely that those are due to European or NA admixture. Some Africans do have European admixture due to back migration, also.

https://theconversation.com/heres-ho...igration-52918

"Further ancient population mixing happened in Africa when a significant movement of Eurasian people spread back into the continent within the last 3,000 years. In fact, one study estimated that between 4-7% of most African genomes may have come from this gene flow."

Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Hey guys! You aren't going to change my views on this.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I wasn't trying to argue at all why AA have such diversity in their DNA or not, just pointing out when I did the original Nat Geo Genographic Project by Spenser Wells back in 2005, my Y-Chromosome results showed I came from the E-V13 (E1b1b1a1b1a) Paternal Haplogroup, meaning ~30,000 years ago my Y Chromosome came out of Africa going northeast around the Mediterranean through present day Turkey and over to the Balkans\Greece and Southeastern Europe!

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/c...cia_life71.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa