U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 01:31 PM

294 posts, read 180,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Wiki "Native American slavery" to start. I cannot run you the history of the Native American slave trade as I'm still learning about it myself. This whole "Native Americans were wiped out with diseases" story is hogwash. Native Americans were around for every war. The wars were fought because the United States was taking Native American territory. They then categorized the remnants as "colored" or "Negro" and put mixed-race and whites on the official rolls. Mississippi and Alabama were some of the last holdouts...which is why those places have the race relations they do. Most of those states were Choctaw territory, the last of it ceded with the treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. Look it up. It's all there.

You need to understand what happens in sporadic occurrence as opposed to happenings on a common occurrence. Native Americans were enslaved but NOT on a GRAND SCALE.

LOL so all of a sudden you think you have authority to say Native Americans didn't occur diseases they faced from the European.Yea alright.

Whether it be death by disease or death by war, Native Americans did not do slave trade like they did in Africa.

Native Americans were not categorized as Negro because the US government had to account for the amount of Native Americans on reservations.

You're statement saying they fought the US government because they were seizing their territory contradicts your statement that Native Americans sold each other as slaves to European powers.
Many Native Americans confederations Tecumseh ,Great Sioux Nation, and the Iroquois. Navajos were one of the largest Native tribes that fought the Spanish.The Apache had a big conflict with the US government.

They didn't do slave raids to sell other Natives ,they just thought killing off rival Native Tribes them would be a better solution. Let alone they never sold one of their fellow tribesmen to Europeans.

Its ridiculous to compare what African chiefs did to Native American chiefs did.

Quote:
https://news.brown.edu/articles/2017/02/enslavement

While Africans who were enslaved did not know where they would be taken, Native Americans understood that they could be sent to Caribbean plantations and face extremely harsh treatment far from their homes and communities, according to the study. Fear of this fate spurred some Native Americans to pledge to fight to the death, while others surrendered hoping to avoid being sent overseas, the study found.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
LOL so all of a sudden you think you have authority to say Native Americans didn't occur diseases they faced from the European.Yea alright.
Yes I do have authority to state such. Anymore questions?

Listen....we aren't going to agree on this, so it's pointless for me to argue with you. It's well-documented that European intervention is the bane of everyone's existence across the globe. I'm not interested in having discussions with people who deny the obvious.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM

294 posts, read 180,340 times
Quote:
Yes I do have authority to state such. Anymore questions?

Listen....we aren't going to agree on this, so it's pointless for me to argue with you. It's well-documented that European intervention is the bane of everyone's existence across the globe. I'm not interested in having discussions with people who deny the obvious.
Yes European intervention is bad but everyone faced an foreign invading threat, but the sad truth is that AFRICAN CHEIFS (or a great bulk of them)dealt with this outside European imposition the worst.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:07 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Ha! If we're the "white people" of the diaspora, I'd like my white people money and privilege IMMEDIATELY! Thanks.
I don't know. I'm "white" and growing up, we often couldn't afford to pay our usually disconnected gas bill in the rust belt that is Akron, Ohio. You can have that money and privilege if you'd like.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Yes, there are some white people who are disadvantaged. But as a group, you all are privileged. My family got kicked off land because white people fell on hard times during the Depression. No white person was thinking about that land until then. White privilege is a white high school dropout with a GED getting hired for a well-paying job over my relative who has a PhD. Yes, this sounds unbelievable (because you haven't experienced it and don't know anyone who does) and yes, it happens. All the time. I think most white people would commit suicide if they had to experience life as a black person for a year.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM

589 posts, read 149,556 times
Quote:
Yes, there are some white people who are disadvantaged. But as a group, you all are privileged. My family got kicked off land because white people fell on hard times during the Depression. No white person was thinking about that land until then. White privilege is a white high school dropout with a GED getting hired for a well-paying job over my relative who has a PhD. Yes, this sounds unbelievable (because you haven't experienced it and don't know anyone who does) and yes, it happens. All the time. I think most white people would commit suicide if they had to experience life as a black person for a year.
I'm a first generation American and White. I took the required fire science course and was physically fit and lean at 6'6" and 235 lbs. and went to a location in Los Angeles where the LAFD was hiring. When I attempted to hand them my application they refused stating, "Sorry, we are not accepting applications from Whites." This was in 1990. I wasn't bitter or upset but a bit surprised and moved on with my life.

Since then I've heard of many similar stories. Perhaps some of us missed the boat when they were handing out that privilege.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:41 PM

Alright guys. You got me. White people are discriminated against too. What was I thinking?

Old 01-01-2019, 03:41 PM

2,067 posts, read 760,505 times
Black Americans have high levels of European or “white” DNA. The majority of black Americans are “light skinned”, go to any area of Sub-Saharan Africa and you may not find a single “light skinned” black person. So as much as black Americans hate white Americans they almost all have white DNA. A lot of times more white DNA than black.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:47 PM

468 posts, read 81,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Black Americans have high levels of European or “white” DNA. The majority of black Americans are “light skinned”, go to any area of Sub-Saharan Africa and you may not find a single “light skinned” black person. So as much as black Americans hate white Americans they almost all have white DNA. A lot of times more white DNA than black.

So, blacks in the Americas were sold by their own and purchased by whites, other blacks, Spanish, whatever else, etc. Basically, everyone raped them, no one really cared for them much otherwise. Sounds like good enough reason not to give much gratitude to any side.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 PM

24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
So, blacks in the Americas were sold by their own and purchased by whites, other blacks, Spanish, whatever else, etc. Basically, everyone raped them, no one really cared for them much otherwise. Sounds like good enough reason not to give much gratitude to any side.
Black and Africa are creations of European colonialists who didn’t bother to differentiate between any sort of Black.

In the context of Africa, if one group defeated another group militarily the men were basically killed off and the women were enslaved/married off to their conquerors. The children were kept as slaves too. So slavery in Africa was a way of wiping out/assimilating another nation.

The Americas wanted slave labor on plantations, and originally men outnumbered women as initially they just worked them to death.

As time went by and more women slaves were brought over, yes their owners could keep them as concubines but Western societies don’t allow polygamy and the children had illegitimate and thus slave status.
Thus you had a permanent slave class created, which obvious consequences even today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or