U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM

24,192 posts, read 17,579,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This...Her mother had roots in the New Orleans area, but kept her African ancestry under wraps when she lived in suburban Cleveland with her husband. I think people donít understand that it is likely more common than they think it is.

People also forget that some of the ancestry could come pre immigration. Think some Sicilians or other ďwhitesĒ from the Mediterranean. So, this can come before arrival to the US.
1/3 of the people from the Iberian Peninsula have Middle Eastern DNA in a recent test (certain Jewish or Moorish genetic markers). The same could be said for Italy.

Big parts of Italy were a part of Spain till 1860, when Italy was finally united as a country.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's very true. Professional jobs were essentially non existent for African Americans, and getting into any top university was almost unheard of. There was no broad access to quality jobs for African Americans in those years.
There were business owners , real estate realtors, and other professionals as well. You also a very few to get into prestigious universities but vast majority attended what we know as HBCUs. I think there's history you may not be aware or overlooking.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
There were business owners , real estate realtors, and other professionals as well. You also a very few to get into prestigious universities but vast majority attended what we know as HBCUs. I think there's history you may not be aware or overlooking.
Were things as rosy as you claim, there would have been no need for the civil rights movement. Bring a business owner means crap. Blacks in those days were mostly limited to stuff like funeral homes and barber shops or whatever businesses they catered to other Bla Ms. There were not competitive within white businesses. Of the very few Blacks thst were rarely allowed to attend any named university, hostility was such that they were not likely to graduate.

Thereís a history Iím very well aware of.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:37 PM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:
Were things as rosy as you claim, there would have been no need for the civil rights movement. Bring a business owner means crap. Blacks in those days were mostly limited to stuff like funeral homes and barber shops or whatever businesses they catered to other Bla Ms. There were not competitive within white businesses. Of the very few Blacks thst were rarely allowed to attend any named university, hostility was such that they were not likely to graduate.

Thereís a history Iím very well aware of.
Yet they still exist and where able to at those times be economic anchors in their communities. Being a business owner were of some importance and I'm not speaking of being competitive with white businesses. Your off on your history if barbershops, funeral homes , and small firms cater to blacks was the limit. Banks, Real Estate firms, hospitals, hotels , and more even catered to whites.

Hence, i stated HBCUs. Don't forget the entrepreneurs that arose even during reconstruction era.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Yet they still exist and where able to at those times be economic anchors in their communities. Being a business owner were of some importance and I'm not speaking of being competitive with white businesses. Your off on your history if barbershops, funeral homes , and small firms cater to blacks was the limit. Banks, Real Estate firms, hospitals, hotels , and more even catered to whites.

Hence, i stated HBCUs. Don't forget the entrepreneurs that arose even during reconstruction era.
Pre WWII, most AAs still lived in rural areas and worked as farm labors.

You did not have many Black owned bs Ms in this era. Most Black People has inadequate healthcare. But I know you have a lot of pathological liars and delusional people among some of those who call themselves Afrocentrists.

These people need prescription medication.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,295,467 times
No. Black people in the UShave it worse than Western Europe and Canada by a good margin. Crime, poverty, disease, slum housing, incarceration, educational attainment etc are multitudes worse for US blacks than those in Canada and the UK. That’s not debatable.

On average theyre theyre on tier with blacks in Southern Europe like Spain Italy and Greece but doing a little better. Using the DC area and Atlanta area is a WILDLY inaccurate representation of the vast majority of black of Americans-it’s so far off base it’s laughable.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No. Black people in the UShave it worse than Western Europe and Canada by a good margin. Crime, poverty, disease, slum housing, incarceration, educational attainment etc are multitudes worse for US blacks than those in Canada and the UK. Thatís not debatable.

On average theyre theyre on tier with blacks in Southern Europe like Spain Italy and Greece but doing a little better. Using the DC area and Atlanta area is a WILDLY inaccurate representation of the vast majority of black of Americans-itís so far off base itís laughable.
Southern Europe is not poor. Black people do not live in slum housing in Southern Europe, do not have mass incarceration, have free access to excellent public healthcare, etc.

Nowhere in the European Union is poor, and certainly not on a global scale. It shows you the ignorance of Americans, the ones who are ironically too poor to travel and who are undereducated.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Southern Europe is not poor. Black people do not live in slum housing in Southern Europe, do not have mass incarceration, have free access to excellent public healthcare, etc.

Nowhere in the European Union is poor, and certainly not on a global scale. It shows you the ignorance of Americans, the ones who are ironically too poor to travel and who are undereducated.
Whoa...I was just going based off of what I read and heard. You must be from Southern Europe, it wasnít that deep. For what itís worth I went on a school sponsored trip to Senegal once and spent 12-14 hours in Madrid- met some black people there.

So Iím guessing you feel African americans are poorer than Southern European blacks?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 PM

Iím African American and am 10-11% white, a girlfriend I tested with was 6-7% white.

The higher average figures come from the obviously heavily mixed.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Whoa...I was just going based off of what I read and heard. You must be from Southern Europe, it wasnít that deep. For what itís worth I went on a school sponsored trip to Senegal once and spent 12-14 hours in Madrid- met some black people there.

So Iím guessing you feel African americans are poorer than Southern European blacks?
I'm an African American who lives in Southern Europe. So I see things first hand, not going by gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or