U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM

1,032 posts, read 628,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
It sounds like you saw what you wanted to see, the article I linked SAID nothing about warfare.The link I placed clearly stated that tribes sold PEOPLE FROM THEIR OWN TRIBE,CLAN ,AND EVEN FAMILY. Maybe you are not comprehending an Igbo for all intents and purposes is an Igbo.
Or perhaps you read some other article. In any case the small amount of slave raids to sell other Africans is a poor excuse and shows the greed African chiefs had, it was African elites callousness and greed for other Africans to make a never seen before pale skin European manipulate them.

I would suggest you do more research, anybody that says warfare was the primary reason doesn't know what they are talking about.
Obviously you didn't read my comment nor watch that YouTube channel. I've been researching the Transatlantic Slave Trade ( highly intriguing in it's own way) for some time and will continue as well. So far your only grasping at one factor and again it's plenty of sources that continue include warfare as a factor ( note: i never stated SOLE factor).

There was many and current different ethnic groups ( Fuluna, Ewe, Yoruba, Bantu, BaKongo, etc) that had various events along with Kingdoms that impacted the slave trade. Again, HomeTeam History is a good source for you to watch.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:48 AM

295 posts, read 180,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Obviously you didn't read my comment nor watch that YouTube channel. I've been researching the Transatlantic Slave Trade ( highly intriguing in it's own way) for some time and will continue as well. So far your only grasping at one factor and again it's plenty of sources that continue include warfare as a factor ( note: i never stated SOLE factor).

There was many and current different ethnic groups ( Fuluna, Ewe, Yoruba, Bantu, BaKongo, etc) that had various events along with Kingdoms that impacted the slave trade. Again, HomeTeam History is a good source for you to watch.
Bantu is not a tribe!

Bro, I know about the warfare side, obviously you didn't read enough, I don't need to watch a youtube channel to know the history off of a subject of a beaten ''dead horse''topic.

Your comment said my article quoted that African sold people that were results of war, THAT'S UNTRUE ,as anyone with 2 eyes could see what I posted.

The article told you in many African societies sold other blacks because they were taken off as criminals for the pettiest things,and many of them were of the same tribe.

But many tribes sold their own people as a way to profit,many kings and chiefs saw the people as property just to be sold off for guns,sugar,and other things for their own pleasure.

Moreover many of these people these African kings sold off were muslims and Islam forbids the enslavement of another muslim.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 AM

1,032 posts, read 628,202 times
Quote:
Bantu is not a tribe!

Bro, I know about the warfare side, obviously you didn't read enough, I don't need to watch a youtube channel to know the history off of a subject of a beaten ''dead horse''topic.

Your comment said my article quoted that African sold people that were results of war, THAT'S UNTRUE ,as anyone with 2 eyes could see what I posted.

The article told you in many African societies sold other blacks because they were taken off as criminals for the pettiest things,and many of them were of the same tribe.

But many tribes sold their own people as a way to profit,many kings and chiefs saw the people as property just to be sold off for guns,sugar,and other things for their own pleasure.

Moreover many of these people these African kings sold off were muslims and Islam forbids the enslavement of another muslim.
Bro,
You should read your article again on this " dead horse" topic. It literally have prisoners of war included in the subject and I've spoken about the warfare side too. They wasn't black back then.
Bantu is a collective of ethnic groups.
Again , Majority that was sold of neighboring villages, city-states, & kingdoms.
Some were muslims and I'm sure you must be familiar with the arab slave trade.

https://youtu.be/pJ5zizWjSko Additional information is always out there bro.

Peace.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Bro,
You should read your article again on this " dead horse" topic. It literally have prisoners of war included in the subject and I've spoken about the warfare side too. They wasn't black back then.
Bantu is a collective of ethnic groups.
Again , Majority that was sold of neighboring villages, city-states, & kingdoms.
Some were muslims and I'm sure you must be familiar with the arab slave trade.

https://youtu.be/pJ5zizWjSko Additional information is always out there bro.

Peace.
Really point out where in the article did it indicate most slaves supplied in the Atlantic Slave Trade were prisoners of war?The article I posted clearly emphasized how most Africans chiefs enslaved people who were there family members.

You pretty much didnít read the article.

Congratulations, you finally learned Bantu is a collective group not a tribe or ethnic group,hopefully you read more about African history to see what really transpired.

Do you really think people in neighboring villlages are not related,clearly your sense of history and intellect is lacking.

Yes many Africans enslaved were Muslims the mere fact a Muslim African chief enslaved another African Muslim showed they had no respect for the Islamic faith since another Muslim canít enslaved another Muslim.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Don't need a nation to govern when you're still the richest and most influencial African Diaspora demograhic on earth. Barack Obama, Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Tiger Woods, Kanye West, Will Smith, Jimi Hindrix, MLK, Harriet Tubman, Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali etc. These are world renowed African Americans that have a had a massive influence in the world.

And considering black Americans have been in America since the 15th century, there's clearly no more "Africa" in the term "African American."

Whether black Americans choose to acknowledge this fact is another thing, but it's very clear that socially, culturallly, and psychologically African Americans have far more in common with White Americans and Western society than almost anyone else from the African Diaspora.

Your criteria is "nation governing" my criteria is "wealth, influence, and exposure."
The mere good fortune of living in the world's most powerful nation isnt something for you to boast about. Especially as black immigrants are often able to take more advantage of this nation than are many black Americans.

The fact that this country is rich isnt the result of any conscious self determined action by black Americans. That is unless you are proud of slavery.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Clearly your statement made no sense.Most African kingdoms pretty much acquired their slaves right from the lands they ruled,in fact if you go there today many African chiefs will tell you if one of their subjects were to be sold off to the white man so they can have their coconuts and guns, they would gladly do it.

There is no proof that most SLAVES of the Atlantic Slave Trade were sourced from PRISONERS OF WAR. The excuses goes they were from other tribes no they were sold off from their own clans(an Igbo from a different clan is still an Igbo btw) and family. In any case, these warring chiefs no things were peaceful before the Europeans arrivals

Some of these chiefs sold their own family at times and guess what it still goes on today.Since you hardly went to school I can educate you a little bit.

Now keep in mind many African tribes even still practice a form of slavery until this day. Read and weep, but also hush before you type.
Its is this simple. African kingdoms waged war against various groups and enslaved many of those who lived there.

It is also simple that if an empire sells off its labor force it cannot survive. These were mainly self sufficient agrarian societies so if they didn't produce most of what they needed to consume then they would die. And prior to the Industrial Revolution of the 19th C this was based on human labor and not machines.

If an Igbo from one clan attacked and sold an Igbo from another clan then they were NOT selling their own peoples. They were selling another people. The fact that they were both black and both spoke the same language is immaterial.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Whether black Americans choose to acknowledge this fact is another thing, but it's very clear that socially, culturallly, and psychologically African Americans have far more in common with White Americans and Western society than almost anyone else from the African Diaspora.

."

Hmmm. I wonder who can tell the difference between a US born black person of Caribbean ancestry and an African American. I cannot unless they tell me.

So there goes your theory that black Americans have more in common with white Americans than they do with others in the African Diaspora. While that might be true for their dealings with Africans the fact remains that blacks from the Caribbean live in the same neighborhoods with black Americans and undergo the same issues. This being why there are almost no differences in between the kids of a Caribbean immigrant household and one of a black American.

I know that you have a need to think as you do about white Americans but this doesnt change the facts. In 2019 most blacks have limited social ties to them outside of work.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Rival

For all intent and purpose an Igbo is an Igbo, a Yoruba is an Yoruba, and Hausa is a Hausa no matter what clan they are from.

The Oyo Civil war is called a CIVIL WAR for a reason, both opposing sides in this war where the same ethnicity and tribe.

Case closed African chiefs and elites enslaved their own and still enslaved their own in modern times.

Why do you even think many African chiefs want to apologize for selling their people in the slave trade.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...se-slave-trade

When the English enslaved the Irish and the Scottish it wasn't THEIR people. And yes they sold them as virtual slaves to their colonies in North America and the Caribbean. The fact that you would call them all British is irrelevant.

When the Yoruba empire imploded and the various subsets went to war and sold off those of their enemies it wasn't their people. Igbo was an imposed definition for those who spoke related languages. The Igbo ethnicity was a colonial imposition. So the various so called clans didn't see themselves as the same people. When they attacked each other and captured people for sale as slaves it wasn't their people who they sold off.

An African selling his people means that he went into the villages over which he had direct domain and sold his people. That was very rare and it was very rare because it would have been destructive to his villages. He would deprived his area of domain of labor that it needed to produce items that it consumed. It would have deprived his area of people who he needed to defend it from neighboring groups.

So very few sold off their own people. They sold off other groups.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
pired.

Do you really think people in neighboring villlages are not related,clearly your sense of history and intellect is lacking.

The British are related to the Germans and English evolved out of Germanic languages. So WWII was about the Germans bombing their own people when they bombed London.

A Brief Overview of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

And while you talk about Africans depriving their own kingdoms of the labor that these kingdoms needed to survive just understand that prior to 1820 MORE Africans were taken across the Atlantic than Europeans.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The British are related to the Germans and English evolved out of Germanic languages. So WWII was about the Germans bombing their own people when they bombed London.

A Brief Overview of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

And while you talk about Africans depriving their own kingdoms of the labor that these kingdoms needed to survive just understand that prior to 1820 MORE Africans were taken across the Atlantic than Europeans.
Bad analogy, very bad.

I know you can't think well but the British never bombed the British in WWII for the most part,you understand, neither did Germans bomb the Germans.British never had British prisoners of war,if we place the British in the Igbo kingdom of Nri, the British would be selling the British.

And your statement about African deprivement is dumb, I never really mentioned that but since you brought it up, yes they did rob themselves of labor.

What do you mean they needed to survive by selling off labor power, do you understand after the slave trade,African kingdoms were so depleted and poor no wonder they ran to white massa to be European colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or