Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:42 AM

302 posts, read 308,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
@Prizewinner

I'm done with this conversation with you. You have a fixated point of view of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and your recent remarks toward caribny is highly belligerent.

Peace , "Bro".
First of all this guy said learn facts before you babble, and had the nerve to say there was a Yoruba empire, yet you call me being belligerent.

Its not a fixated view, I brought you clear information that Igbos raided other Igbo villages .And like I told the guy above me who has a problem with comprehending, that if Africans having no sense of brotherhood in the past should be useless for African then and now ,this selling other people from other tribes is a poor excuse,and feeds the stereotype of how corrupted and demented black people are.

Now keep in mind this is the same guy that is belligerent and rude to black Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Please learn some facts before you babble.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
First of all this guy said learn facts before you babble, and had the nerve to say there was a Yoruba empire, yet you call me being belligerent.

Its not a fixated view, I brought you clear information that Igbos raided other Igbo villages .And like I told the guy above me who has a problem with comprehending, that if Africans having no sense of brotherhood in the past should be useless for African then and now ,this selling other people from other tribes is a poor excuse,and feeds the stereotype of how corrupted and demented black people are.

Now keep in mind this is the same guy that is belligerent and rude to black Americans.
So if Igbos sold other Igbos, what's the point? Are you trying to say all Black people are EVIL?

The OP of this thread is are AAs the "White" people of the African disapora. I suppose meaning are the most well off.

Whether that's true or not has NOTHING to do with that IGBOS did, and I do not believe most AAs are of Igbo descent.

I believe the post is about the CURRENT situation of people of African descent or Africans, not about 300 years ago. Some of you need to learn to stay on TOPIC.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

So if Igbos sold other Igbos, what's the point? Are you trying to say all Black people are EVIL?

What do you mean whats the point, any one who is reading it would know what I meant.The misconception and inaccurate account of some rulers in tribes like the Igbo , the Yorubas, or Akan
not selling their own did happen.

Saying who is evil or not is irrelevant , one can draw their own conclusions from what was said.

The OP of this thread is are AAs the "White" people of the African disapora. I suppose meaning are the most well off.

Quote:

Whether that's true or not has NOTHING to do with that IGBOS did, and I do not believe most AAs are of Igbo descent.

I didn't say it was just Igbos selling of their fellow tribesman.And never said African Americans are mostly descended of Igbos it seems you like to draw conclusions based on disillusions. But African Americans descend from alot of ethnic tribes in West Africa that sold people from their own tribe though, just like many otherdiasporan blacks.Not rocket science.

Quote:

I believe the post is about the CURRENT situation of people of African descent or Africans, not about 300 years ago. Some of you need to learn to stay on TOPIC.

Right stay on topic like you who wants to talk about Southern Europe in an African American thread.Please go somewhere.
Spoiler

Quote:
Southern Europe is not poor. Black people do not live in slum housing in Southern Europe, do not have mass incarceration, have free access to excellent public healthcare, etc.

Nowhere in the European Union is poor, and certainly not on a global scale. It shows you the ignorance of Americans, the ones who are ironically too poor to travel and who are undereducated.

Spoiler

Quote:
Brazil is so horrible a number of Brazilians I know, if they have means are fleeing. White drops should be the least of their concern with all of the violence and poverty Brazil has, and this is the result of slavery and the Inquisition, both of which severely damaged Brazil’s development. I agree with you in tbe silliness of the White drops. If people are locked out of economic opportunities, those drops don’t matter.

Or if unaddressed social issues make the country so bad people are afraid when they leave the house, I’d say those drops are pointless.

Listen, topics on this forum diverge into many segues,can't help it that's how it is. Doesn't seem you do any different either,it kills me how you want people to stay on topic about African Americans being the white people of the African Diaspora, but want to ask if all black people are evil.Practice what you preach bro.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When the English enslaved the Irish and the Scottish it wasn't THEIR people. And yes they sold them as virtual slaves to their colonies in North America and the Caribbean. The fact that you would call them all British is irrelevant.

When the Yoruba empire imploded and the various subsets went to war and sold off those of their enemies it wasn't their people. Igbo was an imposed definition for those who spoke related languages. The Igbo ethnicity was a colonial imposition. So the various so called clans didn't see themselves as the same people. When they attacked each other and captured people for sale as slaves it wasn't their people who they sold off.

An African selling his people means that he went into the villages over which he had direct domain and sold his people. That was very rare and it was very rare because it would have been destructive to his villages. He would deprived his area of domain of labor that it needed to produce items that it consumed. It would have deprived his area of people who he needed to defend it from neighboring groups.

So very few sold off their own people. They sold off other groups.
!!??

Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
So very few sold off their own people. They sold off other groups.
.[/quote]

You really need to quit with this nonsense. The vast majority of enslaved peoples were captives of other groups.

You have funded NO reliable source that states that people sold off their own kids and siblings in large numbers.

The slave trade was an INDUSTRY. BOTH for the Europeans involved as well as for the Africans.

Screaming and insulting other people doesn't change these facts.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Thank you and 1,000 points for you. Someone understands the diverse groups and their history with each other

This character is so ignorant of African history that he doesn't know that the term "Igbo" was created by the British AFTER Nigerian became one of their colonies. Prior to that the so called Igbos were collections of clan based villages that fought each other alliances for territory, and also captives to sell.

He is appalled at the notion that Germans were bombing their own people, the English and yet cannot understand that he says the same thing when he insists that so called Igbos (connected by language and not affiliation as that was based on village based clans) sold each other.

The various Yoruba empires were always rivals and when their alliance broke down and they fought with each other, and when the Dahomey and other slave trading kingdoms took advantage of this dislocations people weren't selling "their" people.

And the fact that he insists that Africans even sold their own siblings in large numbers is ridiculous. I say this to you as if I said it to him he will run crying to some moderator.

There is NO WAY that a trade consisting of as many as 25 million (based on an estimate that 50% died before being loaded in the vessels) could have been sustained for almost 400 years if it was based on villagers selling off their relatives.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Many tribes like the Yoruba, Igbo, Akan,Fulani etc were big and controlled big swaths of West Africa.No way they can just allow other smaller tribes to invade and sell them off.

and as big as these are you insist that they lacked the power or intelligence to sustain a slave trade based on attacking other groups instead of destroying themselves through selling off their children and siblings.

In fact it was THOSE tribes which invaded each other, and dominated smaller groups to sustain the slave trade.

By the way "Akan" is a system of related languages. There isn't a people called Akan. There were Ashanti, Akwamu, Fanti and others and they did attack each other.

Were you more knowledgeable you would know that the ethnic labels attached by slave traders and planters pointed often more to the part of the coast that they were loaded. So most enslaved peoples purchased on the Bight of Biafra were labeled "Igbo" even though they didn't see themselves as such. Many came from distant lands in the hinterland and so their real ethnic affiliations weren't known by their purchasers, nor did their purchasers care.

Stop reading and posting unreliable sources and get a book called Slavery & African ethnicities by Gwen Hall. She did extensive research on the African side of the Transatlantic lave trade.

But maybe you just prefer to peddle the old myths of dumb stupid chiefs who sold off their kids and siblings. This so that the Europeans could paint them as primitive savages who they could easily outsmart.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
little.

Slavery was a common practice in African villages and households,

Pity that you cannot understand basic facts. Does anyone deny the fact that Africans were actively involved in slavery or the slave trade? In fact they were so embedded in it that they developed a massive industry that created great wealth for the elites.

If you read your own quotes you would see how wrong you are.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:

1. Many AAs are in fact of what they would have considered to be of Igbo descent. This was the leading group which was taken to the Delmarva area.

2. He is saying that blacks are dumb and stupid. Until the Industrial Revolution societies depended on production for labor, so if a society sold off its own members it was doomed to collapse from starvation. Who was going to plant the crops, make the textiles, make he metals, make the tools, and defend against attacks from others if they sold off members of their own villages.

What this man doesn't understand is that the concept of Igbos being one people was developed AFTER Nigeria became a British colony. During the slave trading era this was a village based system based on villages tied to each other through clans. Europeans grouped them as one people because of linguistic similarities.

Essentially this man is saying that Paraguayans and Argentines are one because they both speak Spanish, so n the 19thC when they fought a devastating war against each other they were killing "their own people".

He is adapting European myths of the Africans which was peddled to justify slavery. Stupid people too dumb to understand that selling off people within their villages as a fast path to genocide.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
!!??

Yes learn your history. The first "slaves" in the British colonies were Scottish and Irish who were sent to North America, Barbados, Jamaica and the Leeward Islands. There are those who might argue that their treatment was as bad as it was for Africans, and in the humid climates of North America and the Caribbean, their mortality rates were higher.

The fact that they might have been labeled indentures doesn't change the fact that they were slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa