U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 PM
 
691 posts, read 920,910 times
Reputation: 643

Advertisements

The recent book Barracoon was an eye opener for me, it is about a young Yoruba man from a Yoruba town in what is now
Benin. Dahomey Amazon warriors attacked the town, slaughtered the people, the survivors were marched 60 miles down to
Ouidah, put in Barracoons (slave-holding pens) for 3 months. Guy from Alabama sails in picks 130 people from this pen. They
are packed and shipped to Mobile, Alabama sold into slavery, after slavery they reunite and form "Africa Town" in Alabama
and a plack in the town lists some of the people with their African names, their American names and the tribes they were
from.

Most were Yoruba,Nupe and some Fulani. The central character the book is based on was the great-great-great? grandfather
of one of the current rappers. They even have the same eye structure! This was a BIG industry, the guy who sailed to Dahomey went because he read in the paper that the king of Dahomey was raiding for slaves to be sold again .

So he thought, "Let me get a ship and a crew together and go to Dahomey and buy some property".

 
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 PM
 
691 posts, read 920,910 times
Reputation: 643
I was always taught also, the British first emptied the jails and sent their undesirables to the Colonies, this is who first populated what was to become America.
 
Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 AM
 
295 posts, read 182,267 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Pity that you cannot understand basic facts. Does anyone deny the fact that Africans were actively involved in slavery or the slave trade? In fact they were so embedded in it that they developed a massive industry that created great wealth for the elites.


If you read your own quotes you would see how wrong you are.
Bruh you make no sense at all, do you know how to read or you can't comprehend at all.


If you got Igbos selling Igbos and Yorubas selling Yorubas ,sold their own.

Lets say IF most times Africans were selling people from other tribes(which didn't happen),it wouldn't make it any better or justify anything, they know very much they had more in common with another African than an European.

Again you need to educate yourself the wealth they accumulated means nothing because most African chiefs and elites are not in power anymore in West Africa.
 
Old 02-21-2019, 05:09 AM
 
295 posts, read 182,267 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


1. Many AAs are in fact of what they would have considered to be of Igbo descent. This was the leading group which was taken to the Delmarva area.
African American ancestry differs region to region.



Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


2. He is saying that blacks are dumb and stupid.

Quote me were I said this because as usual you like to make things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post



What this man doesn't understand is that the concept of Igbos being one people was developed AFTER Nigeria became a British colony.
Anyone familiar with your post would know you really are ignorant of the foreign cultures.

How are you so sure Igbos don't see themselves as one, why do you think they want a Biafra land now?

And first you say that Igbos sold people from other tribes now you are saying not all Igbos are the same. SMH you don't grasp history.




Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


Essentially this man is saying that Paraguayans and Argentines are one because they both speak Spanish, so n the 19thC when they fought a devastating war against each other they were killing "their own people".
Bad analogy again, Paraguayans and Argentines are an European creation and existed for maybe 200 years or so, where as Igbos have been around thousands of years and will tell you to their face and Igbo as Igbo no matter what lineage or family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

He is adapting European myths of the Africans which was peddled to justify slavery. Stupid people too dumb to understand that selling off people within their villages as a fast path to genocide.
I posted proof that many African chiefs subsequently met this faith. And yes their villages were depleted by the time they realized they made a mistake.Of course this is not all but a great many chiefs did and they caused a great impact.

I don't know where your mind did I justify slavery , you are always pulling crap out of thin air.

Part of dealing with the truth is facing things you can't lie about.

The ONLY ONE JUSTIFYING SLAVERY IS YOU, because YOU ARE THE ONE SAYING SLAVERY WAS USED AS A MEANS TO GET THE ELITE RICH. Yea right

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 02-21-2019 at 05:30 AM..
 
Old 02-21-2019, 05:21 AM
 
295 posts, read 182,267 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes learn your history. The first "slaves" in the British colonies were Scottish and Irish who were sent to North America, Barbados, Jamaica and the Leeward Islands. There are those who might argue that their treatment was as bad as it was for Africans, and in the humid climates of North America and the Caribbean, their mortality rates were higher.


The fact that they might have been labeled indentures doesn't change the fact that they were slaves.
The English never enslaved Scottish or Irish, the Irish were pretty much at war with Britain for much of the colonial era . In order for the Irish to have the same magnitude of slaves from Africa in Americas there would of had to been some compliance their rulers.


Its true Britain shipped many of their criminals and outcats to their colonies but they definitely weren't slaves they were shipped there to start new lives thats why places like Australia were called Penal Colonies.


Quote:
https://jamaicans.com/interesting-fa...uence-jamaica/

Our shared history began almost 400 years ago when the English began to deport men, women and children for little to no crimes to Jamaica. Large numbers of the Irish deportees died, their fair skin sizzled beneath the Caribbean sun. Cromwell realised that children would have a better chance of survival, at one point he sent 2,000 boys and girls between the age of 10 year and 14 years to pick cotton and, sadly breed. Cromwell’s letter to one of his planter friends survives, and so too the linage of those deported Irish. This deportation continued until the 1830’s, after slavery emancipation the Irish continued to emigrate to Jamaica as indentured servants where they brought with them their culture and intermarried to etch their own mark in Jamaica’s great motto “One People – out of many.”

Scottish people owned slaves in Scotland and in the colonies too.

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scale-revealed


Slavery was once thought of as an activity largely limited to the ports from which the ships of the triangular trade set sail; Bristol, London, Liverpool and Glasgow. Yet there were slave owners across the country, from Cornwall to the Orkneys. In proportion to population, the highest rates of slave ownership are found in Scotland.
Yes they were a few Irish that were actually enslaved but that was very very few.And these were more times than not children not men.

It would not be wise to call deportees slaves.Some people try to call some Irish indentured servants but indentured servitude was not slavery in the least bit.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 02-21-2019 at 05:38 AM..
 
Old 02-27-2019, 04:54 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Bruh you make no sense at all, do you know how to read or you can't comprehend at all.


If you got Igbos selling Igbos and Yorubas selling Yorubas ,sold their own.

Lets say IF most times Africans were selling people from other tribes(which didn't happen),it wouldn't make it any better or justify anything, they know very much they had more in common with another African than an European.

Again you need to educate yourself the wealth they accumulated means nothing because most African chiefs and elites are not in power anymore in West Africa.


So if you have Anglo Saxons bombing and killing other Anglo Saxons that they were killing their own.


1. You were already told that the concept of the Igbo was a colonial one. Within the slavery period it wasn't "Igbo selling Igbo". It was people from particular clans attacking and selling people from other clans.


2. The Yorubas who attacked each other were from DIFFERENT kingdoms..The Oyo and the Benin were DISTINCT entities, do they didn't sell "their own people"




Clearly Africa isn't a topic that you are knowledgeable of. You seem better at praising the PPP and Bharat Jagdeo on the Americas forum.


Whether in the long term they achieved anything is beside the point. Portugal used to be one of Europe's richest nations, and now its the poorest in Western Europe. Spain only climbing out of poverty thanks to massive EU assistance when it joined. Greece is today poor by European standards. Sweden was once one of Europe's poorest nations and now it isn't.
 
Old 02-27-2019, 04:57 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
The English never enslaved Scottish or Irish, the Irish were pretty much at war with Britain for much of the colonial era . .




These Irish and Scottish worked side by side with the Africans slaves, were punished just as harshly and in fact had even higher death rates. You can call it whatever you wish but the English in the 1600s were just as willing to whip a Catholic to death as they were an African slave.


Research the "Ecky Becky" people of Barbados.
 
Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
African American ancestry differs region to region.





Quote me were I said this because as usual you like to make things up.



Anyone familiar with your post would know you really are ignorant of the foreign cultures.

How are you so sure Igbos don't see themselves as one, why do you think they want a Biafra land now?

And first you say that Igbos sold people from other tribes now you are saying not all Igbos are the same. SMH you don't grasp history.






Bad analogy again, Paraguayans and Argentines are an European creation and existed for maybe 200 years or so, where as Igbos have been around thousands of years and will tell you to their face and Igbo as Igbo no matter what lineage or family.



I posted proof that many African chiefs subsequently met this faith. And yes their villages were depleted by the time they realized they made a mistake.Of course this is not all but a great many chiefs did and they caused a great impact.

I don't know where your mind did I justify slavery , you are always pulling crap out of thin air.

Part of dealing with the truth is facing things you can't lie about.

The ONLY ONE JUSTIFYING SLAVERY IS YOU, because YOU ARE THE ONE SAYING SLAVERY WAS USED AS A MEANS TO GET THE ELITE RICH. Yea right




1. I am sure that Igbo is a modern post colonial concept because the Igbos themselves say so. Just because the English and the Scots both speak English doesn't mean that they saw themselves as one people. You should know about the brutal wars each fought against the other, motivated by extreme hatreds.


2. Igbos were the preferred slaves in the Delmarva area. Congo/Angolans in the places that acquired slaves through Charleston, SC. Enslaved peoples from what is now Liberia/ Sierra Leone were preferred in the rice growing areas of SC. A popular source of slaves were in the Senegambia/Guinea area.


3. You furnished NO proof that the chiefs realized that they made a mistake by selling their children and siblings. You made a simplistic analysis of intra ethnic/clan/kingdom conflicts and then extended it to scream that the chiefs went to huts in their villages and then sold off people. And in your usual style you scream and indulge in personal attacks when you cannot prove your point.




You need to stop reading those books printed by the KKK on slavery and read those written by people who did research. I already gave you some sources. And yes you are saying that blacks are dumb and stupid if in societies where strong workers were needed Chiefs actually sold these types FROM THEIR OWN VILLAGES!


And if I were to offer an opinion on your comments highlighted the moderator will either suspend me and/or close this thread, so I will leave this alone, except to say that it is a comment completely lacking in nuance.
 
Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM
 
295 posts, read 182,267 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
These Irish and Scottish worked side by side with the Africans slaves, were punished just as harshly and in fact had even higher death rates. You can call it whatever you wish but the English in the 1600s were just as willing to whip a Catholic to death as they were an African slave.


Research the "Ecky Becky" people of Barbados.
Do your research , and look at the link I gave you again.

The indentured servitude Irish had can not be compared to the slavery the Africans faced in the islands and Americas not to mention the small amount of Irish. Thats irrefutable .



Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

1. I am sure that Igbo is a modern post colonial concept because the Igbos themselves say so. Just because the English and the Scots both speak English doesn't mean that they saw themselves as one people. You should know about the brutal wars each fought against the other, motivated by extreme hatreds.
WRONG.You're not sure of anything, saying there was an Igbo Empire, you make assumptions about other cultures just as you are doing now as people have pointed out.

YOU CANT' CHANGE YOUR STORY NOW ,saying Africans were selling people from other tribes when they weren't.

Moreover you're not understanding that many of these clans were motivated to fight each other harshly from the arrival of Europeans in the first place.Please read a book on African history since you are very ignorant of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


2. Igbos were the preferred slaves in the Delmarva area. Congo/Angolans in the places that acquired slaves through Charleston, SC. Enslaved peoples from what is now Liberia/ Sierra Leone were preferred in the rice growing areas of SC. A popular source of slaves were in the Senegambia/Guinea area.
First of ethinic groups in Liberia and Sierre Leone ARE NOT THE SAME ETHNIC GROUP OR TRIBE, so we know you are lying.

Displaying your ignorance again. Slave traders would bring slaves in on ships and slave masters basically bought whats available, and they looked at the age,size, and fitness to discern on whether they would buy a slave.




Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


3. You furnished NO proof that the chiefs realized that they made a mistake by selling their children and siblings. You made a simplistic analysis of intra ethnic/clan/kingdom conflicts and then extended it to scream that the chiefs went to huts in their villages and then sold off people. And in your usual style you scream and indulge in personal attacks when you cannot prove your point.
Bro, I posted complete proof that African kingdoms were depleted.

Here is an example of an African chief apologizing.




Here are examples of African kingdoms were depleted.

https://www-tc.pbs.org/wonders/Classrm/slavekng.pdf


https://www-tc.pbs.org/wonders/Classrm/slavekng.pdf

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4617604...n_tab_contents




Again at first it was a tribe rivalry now its a clan rivalry, the fact that you are trying to down play the clans and tribes just shows how much respect for the tribes ties and make you have.



Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

You need to stop reading those books printed by the KKK on slavery and read those written by people who did research. I already gave you some sources. And yes you are saying that blacks are dumb and stupid if in societies where strong workers were needed Chiefs actually sold these types FROM THEIR OWN VILLAGES!
Right, because in your fantasy world since I don't agree with you I read books by the KKK.

I posted proof already, whats known need not be said over and over.
So stop being emotional and post proof to say other wise , if you can't you need to sit down and stop it.


You're just projecting and speaking from an emotional stand point to say otherwise,whats the justification of an African chief selling another clan or family member off? Anything that doesn't fit you narrative is racist give me a break




Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

And if I were to offer an opinion on your comments highlighted the moderator will either suspend me and/or close this thread, so I will leave this alone, except to say that it is a comment completely lacking in nuance.
Translation I am emotional and want to bring mods into this because I have to run to somebody and can't make a point myself.



Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So if you have Anglo Saxons bombing and killing other Anglo Saxons that they were killing their own.


1. You were already told that the concept of the Igbo was a colonial one. Within the slavery period it wasn't "Igbo selling Igbo". It was people from particular clans attacking and selling people from other clans.
Listen every time you type you prove how much ignorant of history you are and show you really never had an education.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ANGLO SAXON TRIBE, do you comprehend that or do I need a special ed tutor to tell you.

An Igbo is an Igbo tribe, you being mentally incapable of comprehending is not going to change it, thats why they Igbos want their own country to be called Biafra.




Making up stories is not going to change nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post


2. The Yorubas who attacked each other were from DIFFERENT kingdoms..The Oyo and the Benin were DISTINCT entities, do they didn't sell "their own people"

WHAT THE HELL IS THE BENIN ETHNICITY? see how ignorant you are? Just stop t

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Clearly Africa isn't a topic that you are knowledgeable of. You seem better at praising the PPP and Bharat Jagdeo on the Americas forum.
You are off topic buddy ,but please quote me in the proper thread about PPP and Jagdeo, then send the link because this is irrelevant to the topic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post




Whether in the long term they achieved anything is beside the point. Portugal used to be one of Europe's richest nations, and now its the poorest in Western Europe. Spain only climbing out of poverty thanks to massive EU assistance when it joined. Greece is today poor by European standards. Sweden was once one of Europe's poorest nations and now it isn't.
You need to stop it because you dont know anything you are talking about.Portugal is not a poor nation NOT EVEN THE POOEREST NATION IN EUROPE.




Being poorer doesn't equal to poor or poverty, since you lack comprehension I can't expect you to figure it out. Portugal is not a poor country although being less properous than other Western European nations its still more prosperous than Eastern European nations.
 
Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Do your research , and look at the link I gave you again.

The indentured servitude Irish had can not be compared to the slavery the Africans faced in the islands








Here are examples of African kingdoms were depleted.

https://www-tc.pbs.org/wonders/Classrm/slavekng.pdf


https://www-tc.pbs.org/wonders/Classrm/slavekng.pdf

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4617604...n_tab_contents





I







WHAT THE HELL IS THE BENIN ETHNICITY? see how ignorant you are? Just stop t

So what we have here is a man who knows nothing of the topic. Clearly not because if you didn't know of the existence of a powerful empire called Benin you really don't even begin to understand the fundamentals of this topic.


Your Ovambo source had me laughing. There was no kingdom of Ovambo. There were many entities WITHIN the Ovambo region and in fact YOUR sources cites various Ovambo rulers (kingdoms) competing with each other for slaves. It didn't say that each ruler sold off people living in their village, because if that was the case there would be NO competition!


A few days ago you screamed that I have no right to claim that all Igbos didn't identify with each other. Now your rant is about my claims that an Igbo empire existed. You are so lost in this topic that you now confuse yourself.


Go read about the transatlantic slave trade. Stop citing sources by Americans who think that "all blacks are the same and so if blacks sold other blacks to whites then blacks then they were selling their own people".


This is your mistake. You view Africans as one people and Europeans as another. And because you have no idea of what you are talking about, you have lost direction.




So let me make it easy. Russia and the USA are fighting each other. A group arrives from a planet that neither have heard of, willing to trade with these people. Both the Americans and the Russians discover that what these people want is enslaved peoples and are willing to pay for it. So Russians and Americans attack and capture each other, buy superior weapons from these aliens and then sell the captives to the aliens. Their enmity is directed against each other. They really don't care about the aliens except as trading partners as they don't see the aliens as a threat. they see each other as a threat. Ultimately both weaken each other and centuries later the aliens conquer them.




You will then scream that humans were selling off their own people to aliens!


The man from Ghana wasn't speaking as a Ga, Ewe, Ashanti, Akwamu, or a Fante. He was speaking as a black man apologizing for selling black people to whites. He did NOT say that Gas sold other Gas. He said that Gas attacked Ewes and sold Ewes off and the impact of this battle was that both the Gas and the Ewes were ultimately weakened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top