U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 AM

594 posts, read 222,573 times

Advertisements

People outside the United States ( and other states ) are more better to survive but they are to laid back about things around them.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 AM

691 posts, read 918,347 times
In terms of culture, AAs have the LEAST African retentions of Diaspora Blacks, Haitians the most. In Africa some Africans might
consider AAs as "White" Due to their Western Culture, racial admixture and lack of a tribal identity. The Africans might identify
Jamaicans and Haitians as a misplaced African more than as a white person as there are more obvious elements of African culture in those societies that Africans can identify with ( I was watching a you tube video of a Jamaican man in Ghana talking
to a local market woman, they discovered that they used the same word for kola nut in both countries, the market woman said
("See you are an African!). Also, AAs are living in the same NON Tropical environment as Whites which also shapes culture.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM

In Brazil, AAs are considered Anglo as they are NOT part of the Afro-Brazilian culture.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
In terms of culture, AAs have the LEAST African retentions of Diaspora Blacks, Haitians the most.

Are you saying that Haitians are MOST unlike continental Africans? Because if you are, I think I vehemently disagree. I would like to know why you think that way.

Also, the reason AAs could have the least African retention is because... their ancestors were not African. They simply lived on the continent. Kind of like how African immigrants are not culturally American. They live here and obtained citizenship due to a process and not birthright. These things matter when it comes to cultural identity.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Ha! If we're the "white people" of the diaspora, I'd like my white people money and privilege IMMEDIATELY! Thanks.
You first have to invest to get returns. Delayed gratification is the key not privilege.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You first have to invest to get returns. Delayed gratification is the key not privilege.
Oh please. Forcefully taking things from others is called "stealing" - not investing - where I'm from, and it's a criminal act. The point is, no, AAs aren't the "white people" of the diaspora. As someone else mentioned, African immigrants are more "white" than us, which is probably why whites feel more comfortable with them. That's because the white identity is rooted in wealth and class, not culture, and the vast majority of African immigrants are the "white" people of their homelands. It's similar to how the other poster said AAs are considered Anglos in Brazil. That's because we are American, and Americans have perceived wealth. America is basically alone in its racial distinctions, because in most other countries to be "white" means being wealthy. Only in this one can poor whites be elevated above blacks who are way more wealthy and educated than them. This is what makes America unique.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Are you saying that Haitians are MOST unlike continental Africans? Because if you are, I think I vehemently disagree. I would like to know why you think that way.

Also, the reason AAs could have the least African retention is because... their ancestors were not African. They simply lived on the continent. Kind of like how African immigrants are not culturally American. They live here and obtained citizenship due to a process and not birthright. These things matter when it comes to cultural identity.
No, I am saying in the Diaspora Haitians are MOST LIKE continental Africans in terms of culture, I know quite
a few Haitians personally. AAs are MOST UNLIKE continental Africans in terms of culture.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I read it wrong the first time.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,689,739 times
Huh? Of course not. You're mixing up race and nationality. There is a name for the concept you're thinking of, known as intersectionality.

There are different types of privilege - racial, nationality, financial, sexual orientation, education, etc.

Which privilege dominates in a given setting depends entirely on the context.

1. Job interview? Financial and educational privilege.
2. Job application? Race.
3. Airport security? Race.
4. Airline security? Nationality. (Note the difference between #3 and #4).
5. Visa application (or lack thereof)?: Nationality.

I could go on but you get the idea. Study the concept of intersectionality.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There is an inference here that all white people are rich.

You can't make a comparison that assumes all white people are rich and well-off. This analogy only makes sense in a rich urban American city that has a lot of affluent whites (i.e. Manhattan, for example).
I never used the word "rich" one single time in my OP. That was a massive jump to conclusions you've made. The fact Eastern Europe largely consists of 2nd world developing countries with corrupt politicians, proves not all white people or white countries are prosperous.

The point is one can't argue against the opportunities African Americans have from the African diaspora. They are arguably the greatest benefactors of it when we examine the opportunities and overall black political power of African descendants in other countries. You won't meet the Lebron James, Ben Carson, Barack Obama, Michael Jackson, Floyd Mayweather or countless other successful black lawywers, doctors, egineers, generals, etc. who would have had that same opportunities in other countries.

Again, I said nothing about money. I'm talking about opportunities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No...As Tom Burrell, a marketing executive states, “Black people aren’t dark skinned white people.” Meaning, there are socio-historical factors that shape a different social experience.
That may be true for 1st and 2nd generational African immigrants, but for native born African Americans we all know that Black Americans largely don't associate with anything remotely related to African culture. There is no history lesson on Africa in American schools. Even taking African American courses in college, it only covers African American history in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or