Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:45 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Advertisements

Don't be fooled. The English Caribbean (and all black nations, really) is still under the crown. The ruling class is simply on autopilot because the black leaders do their job for them.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
In Brazil, AAs are considered Anglo as they are NOT part of the Afro-Brazilian culture.
According to what?

Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
allow me to argue: point by point.

Highest standard of living?
the life expectancy of US black males was 74, lower than almost all the countries on that list.
specially compared with black males in the English Caribbean.

Most political power?
THE ENGLISH CARIBBEAN most of the countries are self-govern black countries. they have 100% of the power.

Most opportunities for upward mobility?
well in THE ENGLISH CARIBBEAN countries all social classes are made out of blacks.

The point im trying to make is the US blacks cant claim any of those things just because they are riding the whites man wave.

Barbados, Bahamas, ect are the true and most complete example of black diaspora achievement in good government, self rule, high quality of life. not the US.
even Bermuda, a UK territory, enjoy great level of independence, it is self govern with it owns laws, immigration policy, currency, ect and it is the richest black country on earth. the (median) annual salary is about $85,000 us in Bermuda.
In the English Caribbean, you still have your colorism and many in the highest class in these countries aren’t even black(many are Arab, Chinese, of European descent, etc). So, even in those countries, it isn’t as cut and dry.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
In terms of culture, AAs have the LEAST African retentions of Diaspora Blacks, Haitians the most. In Africa some Africans might
consider AAs as "White" Due to their Western Culture, racial admixture and lack of a tribal identity. The Africans might identify
Jamaicans and Haitians as a misplaced African more than as a white person as there are more obvious elements of African culture in those societies that Africans can identify with ( I was watching a you tube video of a Jamaican man in Ghana talking
to a local market woman, they discovered that they used the same word for kola nut in both countries, the market woman said
("See you are an African!). Also, AAs are living in the same NON Tropical environment as Whites which also shapes culture.
African America(U.S.) is also about 45 million strong and varies greatly from the “Geechee”/Gullah of the Sea Islands(from SE NC to NE FL) to people living in Alaska or even in other countries that aren’t included in that population(Canada’s Maritimes/SW Ontario, many in the Dominican Republic’s Samana area, etc.). So, it is a varied group that would be the 16th wealthiest country in the world, if it was its own country.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:57 PM

630 posts, read 525,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'd surely hope there'd be more wealthy blacks in a black nation with a black power structure and in a country where blacks weren't subject to slavery.

Do you think Black Africans waited for Europeans colonizers to think about enslaving other Black people?

Old 11-22-2018, 04:33 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Care to rephrase your question, or just state in plain English what you're getting at? I'm completely missing your point, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:02 AM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Care to rephrase your question, or just state in plain English what you're getting at? I'm completely missing your point, and I'm not being sarcastic.
He's stating (factually) that African chiefs were enslaving, imprisoning, and selling their own people long before any Europeans arrived. So yes, Africa did have slavery.
Quote:
"It was the Africans themselves who were enslaving their fellow Africans, sending them to the coast to be shipped outside," says researcher Akosua Perbi of the University of Ghana

Based on her studies, Perbi says that European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.
CNN - Evidence of Africans' part in slavery - Oct. 20, 1995

Cue for you to now claim the Ghanaian who conducted the study is apart of the "evil white racist propaganda." Also it's from liberal CNN.

Last edited by Rocko20; 11-23-2018 at 01:52 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
For a dude who reads a lot of books you seem misinformed. You are as black as all other black nations and just like all black nations you suffer from the same fate of colonization and systemic oppression.
I'm educated with a nice house, car, and wife. What the hell kind of systematic oppression is that?

I'm not a victim, but thanks for your sympathy anyway.
Quote:
You want to know why you live in a high standard society? Because America is a first world multi cultural nation.
But you just said I suffer from systematic oppression? Which one is it?
Quote:
So comparing yourself living in a white multicultural nation to a place in Africa or the Caribbean where the countries are actually black is really silly and ignorant.
Comparing which African descendants from the African diaspora have the least amount of African traces is ignorant? Clearly you're posting in the wrong section then.
Quote:
For blacks in America to really be considered the whites of the black race they would at least have to be living on top in their society and African Americans are clearly not at the top in American society.
Wrong. Black Americans identify far more culturally to white Americans than Africa. We've only been here since the 18th century. Africa immigrants refuse to even identify as black Americans and never will, instead choosing to identify as their native country.

This is clearly evidence that black Americans are the "white people" of the African diaspora.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
allow me to argue: point by point.
Highest standard of living?
the life expectancy of US black males was 74, lower than almost all the countries on that list.
specially compared with black males in the English Caribbean.
Not true and you have yet to provide any statistics saying so.
Quote:
Most political power?
THE ENGLISH CARIBBEAN most of the countries are self-govern black countries. they have 100% of the power.
Then they would have no need to immigrate to other countries.
Quote:
Most opportunities for upward mobility?
well in THE ENGLISH CARIBBEAN countries all social classes are made out of blacks.
Then why are Caribbean folks coming here to play sports, study, immigrate, and get visas instead of the other way around? There is no upward mobility for developing countries when compared to developed ones.
Quote:
The point im trying to make is the US blacks cant claim any of those things just because they are riding the whites man wave.
The point I'm trying to make is that culturally, blacks are the whites of the African diaspora.

The culture, traditions, history, education, opportunities, upward mobility, etc. of black Americans represent an African descendant demographic that is no longer associated with Africa.

Your argument that English Caribbean blacks "built it themselves" would hold more merit if so many blacks weren't emigrating from them. As far as rankings go, the Human Development Index has America at 13, which makes it the highest rated country with the highest black population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Last edited by Rocko20; 11-23-2018 at 01:46 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 06:36 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I must agree on that point. I am a Black American living in Rio. And its true that even though a recent ancestor (Great Grand or Grand sometimes) is Black or visibly of Afro descent, they will not really identify as Afro Brazilian. I do however mingle with multi racial people jhere who do. Depends on the person from my experience living here.

On a side note, I found it very amisung how many actually started to identify on college applications. Both visibly and non visibly "black"
How I said for you other time in Brazil we never had the ‘’one drop rule’’ like in USA where someone with any percentage of black ancestry was considerated black for the segregration laws effects.

So if someone has one grandparent of visible African ancestry but has few African looking, he / she will consider themselves mixed race ‘’pardo’’ (what he / she really is).
If the person is white looking he/ she will consider himself white, but openly says of having some black / amerindian blood.

Only mulattos 50% black or more with African traces and or dark skinned are considerad black in Brazil. But for someone has in mind the belonging of being part of the black Brazilian culture I guess depends more of born and living in communities predominatly black where black culture is alive specially in places like Rio de Janeiro or Salvador with big African brazilian communities and black culture alive, depends more of family and enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa