U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:34 AM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times

Advertisements

I don't really care if Africans of yesterday or today had/have slaves. There is nothing comparable to the enterprise the Europeans built and still profit from today. And if there is...don't debate me. Just post your proof.

People and their false equivalencies. Always trying to justify the inhumane practices of the European.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I don't really care if Africans of yesterday or today had/have slaves. There is nothing comparable to the enterprise the Europeans built and still profit from today. And if there is...don't debate me. Just post your proof.

People and their false equivalencies. Always trying to justify the inhumane practices of the European.
I agree. Africans enslaving other Africans doesn't change the fact that the actual slaves were still victims of the Slave Trade and their descendants continued to suffer as victims centuries later.

There were Jews that helped Nazis during the Holocaust but somehow Nazis are still held accountable for their horrific actions and are generally viewed as racists.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:26 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

The point is that if you are going to complain about slavery in every African discussion, you should atleast understand that Africans were enslaving eachother long before Europeans did it. And still do today.

That doesn't excuse what Europeans have done, but it should enlighten you on how low blacks think of eachother to even do such a thing. It should also enlighten you on historically how easy blacks have known to turn on other blacks.

When you grasp such concepts, then it easy to see why many black Americans, black Caribbeans, etc. today would rather shoot eachother than talk it out.

Last edited by Rocko20; 11-23-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 05:42 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree. Africans enslaving other Africans doesn't change the fact that the actual slaves were still victims of the Slave Trade and their descendants continued to suffer as victims centuries later.
There would be no African diaspora or Transatlantic slave trade without the full cooperation of African chiefs and nations doing the selling. Africa sold its soul a long time ago to Europeans.

Furthermore, to state that the descendants of slaves are suffering in 1st world countries with 1st world luxuries is hilarious. Any descendant of African slaves currently in a 1st world country should be happy they're not living in a 2nd or 3rd world country. I was born in Texas, hardly a tragedy for me.

The ones suffering most are those in predominately black countries, none of which are 1st world. Which means their opportunities and options are severely limited. It doesn't matter what country a black person is in, without options, they're going to struggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There were Jews that helped Nazis during the Holocaust but somehow Nazis are still held accountable for their horrific actions and are generally viewed as racists.
False equivalency.

Americans Jews are one of the richest demographics in America right now. The fact you would even compare the holocaust to the transatlantic slave trade is just ignorant.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Am I complaining about slavery?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:45 AM

677 posts, read 252,629 times
Since Africa is the cradle of civilization.............EVERYONE IS PART AFRICAN. Color has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Shoot, maybe Africa being the cradle of civilization is a lie too. I mean, it seems that earthen mounds (pyramids) would predate stone mounds. And we know Shemites are older than Hamites (if you believe in that story, which I do). Honestly, I don't know what's what anymore.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,413,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I believe we are. When we look at the numerous black communities (communities with descendants of African people) around the world, it's very clear that African Americans still have the highest standard of living, most opportunities for upward mobility, most political power, highest percentage of blacks in any 1st world developed country, greatest influence on global black culture (music, movies, sports, etc), and all the other benefits that comes with being a black person in America as opposed to another country.

According to wiki, the regions below have the highest percentage of African descendants from the African diaspora.

I'm sure a case could be made for blacks in Canada, U.K, or France but again, the black population in those countries pales in comparison to the black population in America.

At the end of the day, despite the notion that being an African American is "hard," we really have no room to complain once we look at the blacks in other countries and the lack of opportunities they have compared to us. African Americans can truly make a case of being the "white people" of the African diaspora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora
No

1. Being wealthy doesn't mean being white, the comparison in itself doesn't make sense

2. Being American itself is liberty to speak out to injustice, otherwise speaking out or as you stated "complaining" is the most American thing one can do, as JFK stated "ask not what can your country can do but what you can do for your country" so if someone speaking out about a injustice in the US it doesn't matter if another place go it worst, speaking out about issues is how America got better and created more opportunities in the first place.

3. I'm ignoring Your trying to play oppression olympics with different blacks groups because your American conservative and stated many times your against black American bring up civil right issues. But American history for black Americans, up to 1970s black Americans were basically living in 3rd world condition. The civil right movement because black Americans were "complaining" as you stated change America. And open up door for blacks and other minority groups.

Atlanta slums 1960s

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/ce...5bf923e47e.jpg
DC slums

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c_8b26508v.jpg
Chicago Slums

http://www.moma.org/collection_image...CRI_218329.jpg

Old 11-30-2018, 02:42 PM

142 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Not true and you have yet to provide any statistics saying so.

Then they would have no need to immigrate to other countries.

Then why are Caribbean folks coming here to play sports, study, immigrate, and get visas instead of the other way around? There is no upward mobility for developing countries when compared to developed ones.

The point I'm trying to make is that culturally, blacks are the whites of the African diaspora.

The culture, traditions, history, education, opportunities, upward mobility, etc. of black Americans represent an African descendant demographic that is no longer associated with Africa.

Your argument that English Caribbean blacks "built it themselves" would hold more merit if so many blacks weren't emigrating from them. As far as rankings go, the Human Development Index has America at 13, which makes it the highest rated country with the highest black population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index
They are coming, not for anything the black community has to offer thats for sure. you cant claim that people come here to mingle about the wealth of African Americans, quite the opposite.

you dont get to claim that what attracts immigrants to america has anything to do with blacks or their supposed wealth. they come here for the same reason they go to the Uk or Germany (WHITES PEOPLES MONEY)

Old 11-30-2018, 02:45 PM

142 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Not true and you have yet to provide any statistics saying so.

Then they would have no need to immigrate to other countries.

Then why are Caribbean folks coming here to play sports, study, immigrate, and get visas instead of the other way around? There is no upward mobility for developing countries when compared to developed ones.

The point I'm trying to make is that culturally, blacks are the whites of the African diaspora.

The culture, traditions, history, education, opportunities, upward mobility, etc. of black Americans represent an African descendant demographic that is no longer associated with Africa.

Your argument that English Caribbean blacks "built it themselves" would hold more merit if so many blacks weren't emigrating from them. As far as rankings go, the Human Development Index has America at 13, which makes it the highest rated country with the highest black population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index
YOU CANT BUNDLE AFRICAN AMERICANs WITH THE GENERAL POPULATION!
all human development metrics are lower for African Americans.

"The culture, traditions, history, education, opportunities, upward mobility, etc. of black Americans represent an African descendant demographic that is no longer associated with Africa." neither is basically any other group in the African diaspora, other groups of the African diaspora went further than AAs creating true countries, not becoming a subgroup in another. they have full control of their destiny something AA clearly do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or