U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:40 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times

Advertisements

I believe we are. When we look at the numerous black communities (communities with descendants of African people) around the world, it's very clear that African Americans still have the highest standard of living, most opportunities for upward mobility, most political power, highest percentage of blacks in any 1st world developed country, greatest influence on global black culture (music, movies, sports, etc), and all the other benefits that comes with being a black person in America as opposed to another country.

According to wiki, the regions below have the highest percentage of African descendants from the African diaspora.

I'm sure a case could be made for blacks in Canada, U.K, or France but again, the black population in those countries pales in comparison to the black population in America.

At the end of the day, despite the notion that being an African American is "hard," we really have no room to complain once we look at the blacks in other countries and the lack of opportunities they have compared to us. African Americans can truly make a case of being the "white people" of the African diaspora.
Quote:
Brazil - 55,900,000,
United States - 46,350,467
Haiti - 10,114,378
Dominican Republic - 1.138.471 (11% of the Dominican population)
Colombia 4,
France - 3.35.5 millions (58% of the French population)
Venezuela - 3,156,817
Jamaica - 2,731,419
United Kingdom - 2,497,373
Mexico - 1,386,556
Peru - 1,200,000
Canada - 1,198,540
Cuba - 1,126,894
Italy - 1,100,000
Spain - 1,045,120
Puerto Rico - 979,842
Germany - 817,150
Ecuador - 680,000
Trinidad and - 452,536
Barbados - 256,706
Guyana - 225,860
Suriname - 200,406
Grenada - 101,309
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora

Old 11-17-2018, 04:55 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,344,614 times
African/black can be two different things.
maybe it is all about how one "identifies".

Old 11-17-2018, 07:37 AM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
No...As Tom Burrell, a marketing executive states, “Black people aren’t dark skinned white people.” Meaning, there are socio-historical factors that shape a different social experience.

He states this around 6:15 of this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHM...&feature=share

Also, Canada and the UK both have more black people(alone or in combo) than some of the countries mentioned in the list.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-17-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,939,590 times
This is a very strange analogy. I don't really know where to begin with this..

Yes, the US does have a strong black middle class and many do enjoy a decent standard of living (especially those who have settled in suburbs). The Washington DC suburbs and Atlanta suburbs in particular are well-known for having an abundance of middle class and rich black communities. And true, black Americans have also dominated global black pop culture as well.

HOWEVER, there's still a lot of black americans that are below or close to the poverty line; especially in most US inner-cities. Even though these areas do not have the same type of problems that you would find in poor countries; they usually still have elevated crime-rates, gangs, low-performing schools, high unemployment and a very high percentage of single-parent homes. People from these areas are also overrepresented in the prison population.

I would argue that blacks in Canada and Western Europe have similar if not slightly better prospects than blacks in the USA. The reason why is because: (1) Those countries have better social programs for those who need it, (2) Most of the black population there stems from recent immigrants so they are more likely to be driven and have an entrepreneurial spirit.

One of the biggest advantages that the USA and Canada have over Europe is that the average middle class family can easily buy a nice big standalone home for cheap while it is hard to do the same thing in most of Europe (obviously overpriced cities like NYC, LA and San Francisco are exceptions to this).

By region, I would say that the standard of living for blacks from best to worst is:

Canada>
Western Europe = United States (tie)>
Eastern Caribbean (ex: Barbados, Bahamas, Trinidad)>
Jamaica>
Southern Europe>
Latin America>
Southern Africa>
North Africa & Middle East>
Haiti>
West Africa = East Africa (tie)>
Interior Africa.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-17-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
There is an inference here that all white people are rich.

Some white people are rich..some black people are rich. Many white people are dirt poor (Kentucky, Mississippi, Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Moldova, and plenty are dirt poor in well-known wealthier areas too.

You can't make a comparison that assumes all white people are rich and well-off. This analogy only makes sense in a rich urban American city that has a lot of affluent whites (i.e. Manhattan, for example).

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,577,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I believe we are. When we look at the numerous black communities (communities with descendants of African people) around the world, it's very clear that African Americans still have the highest standard of living, most opportunities for upward mobility, most political power, highest percentage of blacks in any 1st world developed country, greatest influence on global black culture (music, movies, sports, etc), and all the other benefits that comes with being a black person in America as opposed to another country.

According to wiki, the regions below have the highest percentage of African descendants from the African diaspora.

I'm sure a case could be made for blacks in Canada, U.K, or France but again, the black population in those countries pales in comparison to the black population in America.

At the end of the day, despite the notion that being an African American is "hard," we really have no room to complain once we look at the blacks in other countries and the lack of opportunities they have compared to us. African Americans can truly make a case of being the "white people" of the African diaspora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora
To the highlighted above, some have made the argument that other places, for example Caribbean nations with Black leadership are actually better off in those categories than us. Not saying I believe it, but it is a narrative used by some Caribbeans.

And to say that just because we are in a country with economic opprortunities equates to no reason to "complain", I would disagree. Sytemic issues still apply to American Blacks so the picture cannot be painted that its a rosy situation. That undeniably is akin to a subliminal dig to any American Blacks that are not what one may deem as "succesful". Simply not a true statement that Blacks have nothing to complain about...

And I would in no way, shape or form call myself white, Im simply a blessed Black man.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There is an inference here that all white people are rich.

Some white people are rich..some black people are rich. Many white people are dirt poor (Kentucky, Mississippi, Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Moldova, and plenty are dirt poor in well-known wealthier areas too.

You can't make a comparison that assumes all white people are rich and well-off. This analogy only makes sense in a rich urban American city that has a lot of affluent whites (i.e. Manhattan, for example).
Sup Tiger....while I agree in your dissention of the original post, I kinda have to disagree that the inference is that ALL white people are rich. I dont think he/she reached that far.

I will add that from a micro level, though there are a lotta white folks that are dirt poor, (though the politicians will conveniently forget the fact that welfare in the US is utilized by far moe whites that blacks for obvious reasons), when we start digging in a lot of times those poor whites will be mor economically franchised than poor blacks. Theres a reason its been easy for politicians to play the poor against the poor. And then it depends on region as well....Mississsippi delta you have a lot of poor people from each end of the spectrum, but for whatever reason blacks there have less net worth.

And to be fair, the number of wealthy blacks pales in comparison to wealthy whites.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Multi-racial people in Brazil for the most part don't identify with their partial African ancestry particularly if the look fairly Caucasoid they don't feel like they are part of the African diaspora unless they have very visible Negroid phenotypes. They may have 15%-30% Subsaharan African ancestry estimates on commercially available tests and for the most part have no interest or minimal interest in it.
I must agree on that point. I am a Black American living in Rio. And its true that even though a recent ancestor (Great Grand or Grand sometimes) is Black or visibly of Afro descent, they will not really identify as Afro Brazilian. I do however mingle with multi racial people jhere who do. Depends on the person from my experience living here.

On a side note, I found it very amisung how many actually started to identify on college applications. Both visibly and non visibly "black"

Old 11-17-2018, 04:10 PM

410 posts, read 182,840 times
Like it had already been said the analogy comes across as a little bizarre. First, I'm not sure if by White people the OP means WASP americans or just any Caucasian-looking individual. Second, comparing African-American who have been living in the USA for generations and recent African immigrants living in Europe is not the most appropriate, IMO. AA faring better than Afro-Peruvians or Angolans is not very surprising, AA being chronically at the bottom of American society is a lot more so. Lastly, interestingly enough recent AA tend to lag behind recent African immigrants so if anything I'd say that the latter are the "White people" of the Black diaspora.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,031,367 times
Ha! If we're the "white people" of the diaspora, I'd like my white people money and privilege IMMEDIATELY! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or