Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA20...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
Rwanda has been very well-governed since the Genocide of 1994. By the end of that year, Paul Kagame began the political/social/economic revival of that nation. He has been in power ever since (from 1994-2000 as Minister of Defense, then as President) and provided that country a great deal of stability. Rwanda is now definitely the safest country to travel in the region, nothing like Nairobi or the Congo. The only drawback to this recovery is the authoritarian nature of the Kagame administration. Some in the Western media have been highly critical of the lack of "western democracy" in the country. However, it is of my opinion that considering what happened less than 20 years ago, having a orderly, well-managed society is far more important than organized elections and partisan politics. Maybe the next generation should be able to live in a more pluralistic society, but for now, let's just be pleased with the recovery that has taken place within the country.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM

674 posts, read 698,457 times
I disagree that Rwanda has been well-governed by Kagame. You have to have some very low standards to come to that conclusion. Compared to what country?

Too bad safety for tourists doesn't equate with safety for Rwandans. Kagame has played a key role in Africa's world war where he slaughtered millions of his own citizens who fled into the Congo to get back at the Interhamwe. His continued role in the conflict has led to great instability in the region. The genocide provided a safe cover for him for a long time because people who did nothing during the genocide haven't had the nerve to speak up. He is just now beginning to be reprimanded.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
I said Kagame has provided stability for Rwanda...NOT the Congo! The conflict that has devastated the Congo is NOT being helped by Kagame. I do not disagree with you on that one point. I admit that is one of the negative affects of his rule. However, as for inside Rwanda proper, one can not fail to be impressed by the improvements that has taken place since 1994. It is not so much that I am comparing Rwanda to other countries, it is that I am comparing Rwanda in 2012 to Rwanda in 1994.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Yes Rwanda is doing much better now than it was pre-1994.
However I hope that Kagame has to account for the crimes against humanity that he helped carry out.

Rwanda's Paul Kagame warned he may be charged with aiding war crimes | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,553 times
Rwanda has the highest proportion of women in its parliament in the world.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
The fundamental problem that caused the genocide wasn't resolved.
I don't consider it stable. But that's Africa.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Rwanda has the highest proportion of women in its parliament in the world.
Yes!

This is partially because the Rwandan population was nearly 70% female after the genocide because so much of the male population was wiped out (good place for the Chinese to find wives). There is also a 30% female quota imposed by the government.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
I disagree that Rwanda has been well-governed by Kagame. You have to have some very low standards to come to that conclusion. Compared to what country?

Too bad safety for tourists doesn't equate with safety for Rwandans. Kagame has played a key role in Africa's world war where he slaughtered millions of his own citizens who fled into the Congo to get back at the Interhamwe. His continued role in the conflict has led to great instability in the region. The genocide provided a safe cover for him for a long time because people who did nothing during the genocide haven't had the nerve to speak up. He is just now beginning to be reprimanded.

Kagame killed millions did he?
Although reprisal killings against the merciless and cowardly Hutu militia were committed, they are generally accepted as paling into insignificance in comparison as to what the Hutus did to the Tutsis.
Why should he face war crimes when he did not ask for what the militia did in the first place?
Most of those fleeing to the Congo were those escaping facing justice for participating in the genocide.
Many of this machete-wielding mob continue to wreck havoc in the Congo.
This is the same argument that is used in the former Yugoslavia to justify killing unarmed civilians- just like the Interahamwe, Impuzamagambi and co did.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Kagame killed millions did he?
Although reprisal killings against the merciless and cowardly Hutu militia were committed, they are generally accepted as paling into insignificance in comparison as to what the Hutus did to the Tutsis.
Why should he face war crimes when he did not ask for what the militia did in the first place?
Most of those fleeing to the Congo were those escaping facing justice for participating in the genocide.
Many of this machete-wielding mob continue to wreck havoc in the Congo.
This is the same argument that is used in the former Yugoslavia to justify killing unarmed civilians- just like the Interahamwe, Impuzamagambi and co did.
The reprisal killings were not solely against the Hutu militia. Kagame let it be known that he would kill anyone who didn't return to Rwanda and he did just that. Most of the people who fled to the congo were civilians and most of the people Kagame were killed were women and children. As a far as a count no, unfortunately the number does not pale in comparison to the 800,000 killed in Rwanda (some of whom were Hutus). There is a book by Gerard Prunier called Africa's world war that documents the numbers and it is well over one million.

The havoc in the congo was largely orchestrated by Kagame and Musevini. In fact there is even evidence that the RPF had prior knowledge of the coming Rwandan genocide and did nothing so that it could gain power. Like most African rulers at the end of the day Kagame's sole concern is the man in the mirror.

Why should he face war crimes? I guess genocide is ok with you. Good to know. At the end of the day it's African women and children who suffer most from these reckless wars men carry out. We know the world thinks our lives are worthless. Thank God for women like Leymah Gbowee who is now working with Congolese women to try to recreate what she did in Liberia. And if Kagame is prosecuted I am certain he will end up with a sentence similar to Taylor's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa