U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 AM

234 posts, read 91,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlexanderP View Post
I am a fan of Africa. I find it fascinating and the people seem great. I have been a couple times, but only to West Africa (Ghana and Gambia) but wish to go to East Africa (Tanzania and Kenya or Southern Africa (Botswana and Namibia) and live.

I constantly dream about this, but I know how difficult it is to do. Some people think I am crazy for wishing to do this due to having it easy here in England. I enjoy my life here in England also, but I dunno, I would love to experience Africa. Maybe I just think the way of life is simple and utopian, probably my naiveity.

Do you think it's weird for a white guy to obsess about moving and living in Africa?
No it not weird for a white guy to obsess moving to Africa to live. Go ahead and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlexanderP View Post
I am a fan of Africa. I find it fascinating and the people seem great. I have been a couple times, but only to West Africa (Ghana and Gambia) but wish to go to East Africa (Tanzania and Kenya or Southern Africa (Botswana and Namibia) and live.

I constantly dream about this, but I know how difficult it is to do. Some people think I am crazy for wishing to do this due to having it easy here in England. I enjoy my life here in England also, but I dunno, I would love to experience Africa. Maybe I just think the way of life is simple and utopian, probably my naiveity.

Do you think it's weird for a white guy to obsess about moving and living in Africa?
It's only perceived as weird because White Supremacy has tried to brainwash your mind into believing that anything associated with Africa is negative. You seem like a nice guy but please don't allow racists people to try and shame you into not wanting to go to Africa. From a human perspective there is nothing wrong with a person who wants to have a strong interest in a particular country or continent. Also if your dating preference is African women then don't be afraid to say it!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 AM

676 posts, read 585,371 times
For the record Africa is a beautiful land. Whites were heavily the population of North Africa before the Arab conquest of North Africa all the way into France starting in 700ad where millions of whites and berbers were enslaved in the biggest instance of slavery ever, except maybe done by Genghis khan and the mongols. Unfortunately as you see in South Africa today sub Sahara Africans commit a high level of crime and violence and this doesn’t change whether in detriot, Haiti or Brazil. There currently is a genocide against whites and white farmers in South Africa. South Africa used to be one of the safest countries in the world and most prosperous in Africa and now it is a disaster.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
For the record Africa is a beautiful land. Whites were heavily the population of North Africa before the Arab conquest of North Africa all the way into France starting in 700ad where millions of whites and berbers were enslaved in the biggest instance of slavery ever, except maybe done by Genghis khan and the mongols. Unfortunately as you see in South Africa today sub Sahara Africans commit a high level of crime and violence and this doesn’t change whether in detriot, Haiti or Brazil. There currently is a genocide against whites and white farmers in South Africa. South Africa used to be one of the safest countries in the world and most prosperous in Africa and now it is a disaster.
I doubt South Africa was one of the safest countries around the world. I know South Africans that left South Africa in the 1970s and 1980x which was under White Rule and among the main reasons the left was it was not safe. I guess you not heard of the State of Emergency in South Africa in the 1980s, and the riots of the 1970s, and the 1950s.

There is no White Genocide in South Africa, yet Whites are being killed, but Blacks are being killed as well.

There was a genocide of the Native people of Namibia by the Colonial Germans over 100 years ago.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:37 PM

676 posts, read 585,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I doubt South Africa was one of the safest countries around the world. I know South Africans that left South Africa in the 1970s and 1980x which was under White Rule and among the main reasons the left was it was not safe. I guess you not heard of the State of Emergency in South Africa in the 1980s, and the riots of the 1970s, and the 1950s.

There is no White Genocide in South Africa, yet Whites are being killed, but Blacks are being killed as well.

There was a genocide of the Native people of Namibia by the Colonial Germans over 100 years ago.
90 percent of violent crime involving whites and blacks is black on white. This is the case in South Africa, the United States and Brazil. I think this constitutes a genocide.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 708,759 times
I have relatives that left the United States and the United Kingdom to settle in South Africa (Cape Town, Kimberley, and Johannesburg) to fight in the Boer War (British side of course) and in search of treasure. A branch of my family has been there and seen it all.

The racism coming from some in this thread is sickening. You know nothing about the history and current climate of the country. Trust me, the white man's quality of life, safety, security, and influence outpaces that of the black African in Africa.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
90 percent of violent crime involving whites and blacks is black on white. This is the case in South Africa, the United States and Brazil. I think this constitutes a genocide.
You stated South Africa was one of the safest countries in the World under White Rule. How do you explain the periods of State of Emergency from the 1960s to 1980s? https://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/s...1960-and-1980s Countries such as Canada and Finland are considered one of the safest in the world and it has been so for many years. Can you tell me how many times Canada and Finland's Government declared a state of emergency?

If South Africa was one of the richest countries int he Wolrd, it means only the Whites truly benefited from it, while the Blacks lived in the Third world like conditions. Plus if South Africa was wealthy, how do you explain the economic recession in the 1980s? In the 1980s the White Ruled Government made no attempts to dismantle Apartheid. Negligible growth in the 1980s led to an overall decline in living standards, as population growth far outpaced economic expansion. Per capita GDP declined by more than 10 percent during the decade, and for the average individual, real wealth in 1990 was no higher than it had been in 1970.South Africa - Structure of the Economy

One of the biggest problems in South Africa is inequality. Whites are still in generally better off than the Blacks, and a black person is more likely to live in poverty than the White person.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:26 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,753,773 times
I spent a lot of time in the Western Cape in the period, roughly 2000-2014, 2-4 weeks at a time. My colleagues (mainly well-educated Afrikaners in their 30s and 40s) and I also did do some short spells in Pretoria, Johannesburg and Bloemfontein. Their attitudes about racial matters were pretty uniform: Apartheid was bad, but the ANC was doing a terrible job when it came to managing the economy, such that all the critical infrastructure (transportation, energy, water resources) was being run into the ground. There was also some bitterness about the future of their children in the country.

What I found most interesting about these people, most of whom had age-old ties to the country, was that immigration and travel to the West was extremely difficult. In contrast to the remaining people from the UK, they had only one passport, South African. The hoops one of my colleagues, an agricultural expert, and I had to go through to get him into Denmark to attend a professional conference were quite burdensome, compared for example to my colleagues in The Gambia.

Over the period I was there, the level of violence in Cape Town also increased, but strikingly Europeans were also retiring around there, mainly in the Wine region around Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.

You couldn't pay me to live there, today.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Quote:
That isn’t a genocide. Because in Europe and America interracial crime makes up a small percentage of crimes. The places that have the highest murder rates in Europe for white people are all 90%+ white. Glasgow has the highest or one of the highest murder rates in all of the UK and was the whitest or second whitest major city, London which is only 60% white is one of the safest major cities and has the same murder rate as the rest of the country. Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia all have nearly zero black people and have the four highest rates of murder in Europe. In South Africa 80% of the population is Black something like 90%-95% of all criminals are black. Of course interracial violence will swing towards the blacks. You can’t possibly say it is a white genocide when by murder rate- The blacks have the highest murder rate, followed by the Coloureds, followed by the Indians and finished of by the Whites who have the lowest murder rate in South Africa.

Op, Namibia and Botswana are considerably safer than South Africa and although not 100% safe you should definitely read up on visiting them.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 PM

4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Can you tell me how many times Canada and Finland's Government declared a state of emergency?
In 1970, I had friends hiding in my apartment, when Pierre Trudeau invoked the was measures act, allowing raids and mass arrests. In 1963, a faulty separatist bomb was town through a window, but burned out harmlessly ten meters from where I was sitting at work in Montreal..

I spent two months in South Africa in 1976, and everyone seemed pretty secure, even in Hillbrow, but most farmers carried guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or