U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM

6,551 posts, read 9,065,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I can't seem to get the video to play. Can anyone provide a summary of his viewpoint?
The main thing I got from him was for people to be open minded with how they view people. His experience growing up involved people wanting to define for him what being African was or wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:05 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's just how it is I laugh at the AA's on this board who think they have some brotherhood with Egyptians that pan-Africanism stuff just doesn't fly there based on what I gather.
I dont know that any AAs identify with modern Egyptians, except maybe the Nubians. To the extent that there is identification (and I am not sure how broad based this is) it will be built on Nubia and its interaction with Egypt. It is a fact that the Nubians were and still are "black".

Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm no fan of his but Muammar Gaddafi former dictator of Libya seemed to have a pan-African outlook. .
He only did because he couldn't dominate the pan Arab world and attempted to use Libya's wealth to bribe sub Saharan Africa to allow him his way, and vote in support of his interests in international forums. Sub Saharans living in Libya encountered the usual bigotry that they do today in Morocco and Gaddafi didn't exactly stop it.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:16 PM

21,361 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I dont know that any AAs identify with modern Egyptians, except maybe the Nubians. To the extent that there is identification (and I am not sure how broad based this is) it will be built on Nubia and its interaction with Egypt. It is a fact that the Nubians were and still are "black".
AA's usually are of West African ancestry if I am not mistaken. Certainly not of Nubian ancestry.
I suppose some AA might simply pick Nubians because those used to be important for some time (a clone of Egyptian culture, basically). Reggae people like Ethiopia because it has never been colonized.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
AA's usually are of West African ancestry if I am not mistaken. Certainly not of Nubian ancestry.
I suppose some AA might simply pick Nubians because those used to be important for some time (a clone of Egyptian culture, basically). Reggae people like Ethiopia because it has never been colonized.
The identification with Nubians isnt because they claim these to be their ancestors. It is a push back against white supremacists who scream that black have no history worth knowing and that they have made no contribution to human civilization.

Well Egyptians may or may not have had some black involvement but Nubians are clearly black and clearly had an involvement in, and contribution to the civilizations that developed in northeast Africa.

One can see the parallels between northern Europeans who identify with ancient Greece. They aren't Greek or do they claim Greek ancestry.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:33 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The identification with Nubians isnt because they claim these to be their ancestors. It is a push back against white supremacists who scream that black have no history worth knowing and that they have made no contribution to human civilization.

Well Egyptians may or may not have had some black involvement but Nubians are clearly black and clearly had an involvement in, and contribution to the civilizations that developed in northeast Africa.

One can see the parallels between northern Europeans who identify with ancient Greece. They aren't Greek or do they claim Greek ancestry.

I don't think that Northern Europeans in Europe claim Greece.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The main thing I got from him was for people to be open minded with how they view people. His experience growing up involved people wanting to define for him what being African was or wasn't.
It was more than that. He has a message directed toward Africans. Both North Africans and those from sub Sahara have developed a notion that each is alien from the other, He actually subscribes to a pan African identity. Not that he is saying that all are alike but he is claiming some connectivity.

For example to the outside world he will be seen as coming from an Arab/Muslim culture (though he might be Berber), yet he wasn't accepted by the Lebanese who live in West Africa. Interestingly enough it was the West Africans who accepted him most, to the degree that after a mere 6 months on a visit back home to Algeria he had brought back with him all of these "Africanisms".

Maybe the West Africans were the host culture, saw this lost kid and so accepted him. The Middle Easterners and "Europeans" (some might have been white North Americans) also outside of their sphere so clung to their respective groups and excluded him. But even the West Africans defined him as not "really" African because he wasn't black.

Yes I have seen this debate arise, I think even in this forum. What is an African? Are white South Africans "African" or are they just South Africans who are white, but with no connectivity to the rest of the continent. Then there is this area divided by the Sahara, even more disconnected than places connected by the Nile. Being Algerian it is interesting in that there is less of the continuum that connects the Maghreb to points south of the Sahara then Egypt is connecting to Sudan and other points south. The Sahara is a big barrier and so those to the north of it and to the south of it really cannot connect with each other.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I don't think that Northern Europeans in Europe claim Greece.
Oh yes they do. You hardly see Greeks arguing with certain black intellectuals about the degree to which Egypt was a black civilization. It is the Anglo Saxon white Brits and Americans who expend much fuel on this. Apparently any suggestion that blacks (Nubians) might have made some contribution to ancient Egypt undermines their whole Eurocentric view of the world.

I dont think that the Greeks care because they know that modern northern Europeans now look down at them even as they traipse over ruins giving credit to the ancient Greeks.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 PM

21,361 posts, read 19,293,025 times
I am German, and Germans don't claim ancient Greece at all. They know that some cultural things about Europe date back to Greece, Rome and the Middle East, but I have never met any Germans claiming a connection to the Greeks or the Egyptians or the Phoenicians or the Egyptians themselves.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am German, and Germans don't claim ancient Greece at all. .

So tell that to all of those who scream that Western civilization is the best because of ancient Greece. We are told that a Eurocentic approach is best and Multiculturalism is wrong because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or