Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

That is not the point. As I said, Germans are aware that some cultural aspects of Europe and hence the entire West go back to ancient Greece (among others), but Germans do not claim to be related to Greeks, they do not hijack ancient Greece in order to feel like they are or were important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 PM

243 posts, read 268,212 times
Egypt is officially apart of the Middle East. Most Egyptians don’t consider themselves Africans.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
I think that there might be a growing discussion among North Africans about their connection to the African continent. As the Algerian stated Middle Eastern Arabs don't always identify with them, and like it or not, aspects of sub Saharan African culture can be found within the cultures of these nations, especially Morocco. This because of ancient migrations and the slave trade.

Maybe the discussion is mainly among those with exposure to Europe where they find that they aren't any better off than are the sub Saharan Africans, and might even be perceived in a more negative light. Many also live in neighborhoods with high North/West African populations and face similar problems as they offspring of immigrants.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:05 PM

233 posts, read 83,532 times
Frustratedintelligence, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Latin America isn’t black. They have no black ancestry. None. Tell me of the blacks who live in Mexico. El Salvador. Honduras. Argentina. Paraguay. Uruguay? The blacks who came to the Americas because of European slave traders are descendants of Africans. Nothing more and nothing less. Take it from someone whose been to the region many times. Those small communities of African slave descendants are VERY isolated from the rest of the countries they populate. You know why? The governments want them to die off. Latin America is very racist to Africans. Latin America has more in common with Europeans than Africans. Africans make up a VERY small percentage of the population in Latin America. They are there because of European slave traders. They aren’t descended from Africans. Stop spreading fake news. Majority of Latin America’s look vastly European. Now if you’re talking Haiti and Belize and the Caribbean, they may speak another language but that doesn’t make them Latino. They are African. I can speak Chinese but that doesn’t make me Chinese.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm unable to read that link but none of this is surprising based on opinions I've read Egyptians even within North Africa are viewed as a unique culture by other North Africans and that is how they see themselves. Caucasoid phenotypes are preferred as a whole in the region and they don't have a PC culture and aren't interested in importing one, some of the comments I've come across in dialogue on some forums amongst North Africans are very ethnocentric. That's just how it is I laugh at the AA's on this board who think they have some brotherhood with Egyptians that pan-Africanism stuff just doesn't fly there based on what I gather.
Id be curious to see some of that commentary. Care to share links??

Old 05-26-2019, 04:05 PM

203 posts, read 121,529 times
Several dozen Egyptians I spoke to when visiting Egypt some years ago proudly referred to themselves as "Egyptians" -- not North African, not sub-Saharan African, not Middle Eastern, not Mediterranean, not Arab, not Berber. Just uniquely, solely Egyptian.

Not saying they were right or wrong, but that's what they clearly considered themselves.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
I know of several AA tourists who went to Egypt and also of an AA college tour group, they were of course considered Americans and had no problems. What was interesting was when the college group went down to the Nubian section of Egypt
the Nubian said "You are Americans? wow you are dark like us!"

Old 05-28-2019, 02:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
This current American TV personality was born to Egyptian parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoda_Kotb

Old 05-28-2019, 03:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This current American TV personality was born to Egyptian parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoda_Kotb

She is a Coptic Egyptian part of her Coptic ancestry is from Upper Egypt and part from lower Egypt. The Coptics from lower Egypt have substantially lower amounts of sub-Saharan African admixture about 5%-10% than the overall typical Egyptian at about 20% the Coptics from Upper Egypt are more similar to basic Egyptians and some with even more Sub-Saharan African. The Coptics from lower Egypt are the closest thing to the ancient DNA samples found in Egypt thus far with much lower input from the Arabian peninsula and sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
She is a Coptic Egyptian part of her Coptic ancestry is from Upper Egypt and part from lower Egypt. The Coptics from lower Egypt have substantially lower amounts of sub-Saharan African admixture about 5%-10% than the overall typical Egyptian at about 20% the Coptics from Upper Egypt are more similar to basic Egyptians and some with even more Sub-Saharan African. The Coptics from lower Egypt are the closest thing to the ancient DNA samples found in Egypt thus far with much lower input from the Arabian peninsula and sub-Saharan Africa.
Do you have a good source for her Coptic heritage? I ask because the Wikipedia article specifically says such claims are not substantiated. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa