Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 5,397 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of my husband. He grew up in South Africa (Cape Town) with his mom (who is British). His accent is quite different from the other members of his family and he's always wondered what part of South Africa it sounds like it's from, and what ethnic group it may sound like it's a part of? Or does it sound like there's a bit of British mixed in there?

Here's a short recording of his voice.

Any South Africans care to share? =)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Sounds a lot like the South African guys I work with to me (to my un-trained ears anyway), I cant hear any particular British accents in there.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
That sounds like Afrikaner related, more associated with Dutch and German. You do know the history of South Africa right? It wasn't a British colony until very late in the game.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 AM

7 posts, read 5,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That sounds like Afrikaner related, more associated with Dutch and German. You do know the history of South Africa right? It wasn't a British colony until very late in the game.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am aware of the history of course, but my husband isn't Afrikaner. If he was, my post would be pointless wouldn't it? He was born in the UK and grew up in South Africa; his mom is English and his dad is South African of English decent; plus he never grew up around Afrikaners. So I'm pretty surprised by your answer! Are you South African?

Old 03-28-2020, 11:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmJ View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am aware of the history of course, but my husband isn't Afrikaner. If he was, my post would be pointless wouldn't it? He was born in the UK and grew up in South Africa; his mom is English and his dad is South African of English decent; plus he never grew up around Afrikaners. So I'm pretty surprised by your answer! Are you South African?
I must have misread your original post and though it was another relative or coworker.
I am not South African but traveled there several times, and have coworkers I chat from there.

Maybe he just picked up it up from hanging around other friends in South Africa that have that background (although you say no...so not sure). I think Cape Town is more traditional british. I have some experience in Joburg and the eastern part of the country and it seems to be typical of the accent I have heard there (particulary in the eastern rural areas).

Old 04-03-2020, 03:55 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
The accent does sound very much like an Indian accent, as in from India.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:42 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,205 times
I'm not South African, but grew up with some when I lived in Australia.
South Africans have a very distinctive accent to me. I can pick it up almost instantly when I hear one speak. Your husband's accent is not what I would consider a typical "Saffer" accent at all. He almost sounds like someone for whom English is not his first language? Could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa