Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

How many Egyptians view themselves in relation to Africa.

Quote:
Egyptians say “I’m going to Africa” when they visit other countries on the continent, as if Egypt were floating in a bubble of its own. How with such a disavowal of all things African can they appreciate the celebration of all things African that powers through “Black Panther”?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...-of-egyptians/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
I'm not sure what it is you find strange about this.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

I'm not sure what it is you find strange about this.
I did find the amount of racism towards Black people in Egypt to be surprising.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I did find the amount of racism towards Black people in Egypt to be surprising.
I'm unable to read that link but none of this is surprising based on opinions I've read Egyptians even within North Africa are viewed as a unique culture by other North Africans and that is how they see themselves. Caucasoid phenotypes are preferred as a whole in the region and they don't have a PC culture and aren't interested in importing one, some of the comments I've come across in dialogue on some forums amongst North Africans are very ethnocentric. That's just how it is I laugh at the AA's on this board who think they have some brotherhood with Egyptians that pan-Africanism stuff just doesn't fly there based on what I gather.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
We need a clear definition of what an African Identity is. Africa is a huge and diverse place, I don't get why its not treated more like Asia. Much of North Africa has little to do with most of Sub-Saharan Africa. Its like saying there should be some brotherhood or kinship between Japan and Pakistan based on each place being on the same continent. It is disappointing that some Egyptians hold anti-black views, but to me about as surprising as it coming from anywhere else. I don't see why Egyptians need to feel some kinship with Ghana for example based on being on the same continent.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Not another 'ancient Egypt was a black civilization' thread, please

Sub-Saharan Africa unfortunately has a poor reputation, so naturally Egyptians don't want to be put in the same drawer. The same goes for the rest of North Africa. There are frequent reports of racism and even torture of black migrants as they pass through North African countries.

As sad as it is and as little as it is their fault, nobody seems to be fond of black Africans Except maybe European soccer clubs, that buy African players like on a modern slave market.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post

We need a clear definition of what an African Identity is. Africa is a huge and diverse place, I don't get why its not treated more like Asia. Much of North Africa has little to do with most of Sub-Saharan Africa. Its like saying there should be some brotherhood or kinship between Japan and Pakistan based on each place being on the same continent. It is disappointing that some Egyptians hold anti-black views, but to me about as surprising as it coming from anywhere else. I don't see why Egyptians need to feel some kinship with Ghana for example based on being on the same continent.
I'm no fan of his but Muammar Gaddafi former dictator of Libya seemed to have a pan-African outlook. Maybe it had something to do with both north Africa and sub-Saharan Africa having been colonized by the same Europeans.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
This has some historical basis. Back in Herodotus' time, Egypt was seen as a separate land from Libya(Africa as it was called back then) by the Greeks.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
This has some historical basis. Back in Herodotus' time, Egypt was seen as a separate land from Libya(Africa as it was called back then) by the Greeks.
Ancient Libya was not Africa, but Northern Africa west of Egypt. Berber land basically.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
"African identity". What does this even mean?
The region we have designated with the name Africa is just a slab of land, separated from the Eurasian peninsular we call Europe by a body of water. There is no rational reason why they should feel more kinship to a Kenyan than to a German as they are culturally similar to neither.

Its cultural affinity that matters, not common residence on land mass. In ancient times the Greeks and Romans saw the middle easterners and north Africans as existing within the known civilized cultural sphere. The Nordics to their north were the land of barbarians with whom they had no affinity. The modern construct called "Europe" did not yet exist.

As far as the Egyptians racist opinions of black Africans......who gives a damn. Black Africa's problems are not about others opinion of them. The Egyptians are backward. If the black Africans fix their own flaws they will easily surpass the stagnant Egyptians, at which point it will be them distancing themselves from their poor arab neighbors to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa