Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 12:23 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
You're welcome, AFP. Uganda will take the brunt of this. But, many will see it as reason not to venture to the continent itself. However, other than a few national parks and refuges, what else is there?

"Hard negotiations" as search widens for American tourist kidnapped in Uganda (CBS News)
Tourism operators say cancellations are already flooding in.
Various cultural attractions, history, food basically the same things as the rest of the world. Also the largest land mammals in the world although that’s part of nature. Theirs various reasons I would go to Africa, and I’m sure theirs various reasons others would as well. Also have being the youngest continent it has an opportunity to be one of the most creative places and revolutionary places in urban design as other cities slow down in growth only Africa and the Middle East can essentially support the building of entirely new cities in the 21st century which to me as a Geography dude will be awesome to see. Look how Shanghai/Istanbul/Dubai etcetera looks and growth there took of in the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 PM

349 posts, read 258,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Various cultural attractions, history, food basically the same things as the rest of the world. Also the largest land mammals in the world although that’s part of nature. Theirs various reasons I would go to Africa, and I’m sure theirs various reasons others would as well. Also have being the youngest continent it has an opportunity to be one of the most creative places and revolutionary places in urban design as other cities slow down in growth only Africa and the Middle East can essentially support the building of entirely new cities in the 21st century which to me as a Geography dude will be awesome to see. Look how Shanghai/Istanbul/Dubai etcetera looks and growth there took of in the 90s.
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, there, NN. But, once again, as you reiterate, national parks and animal refuges are the main attraction (scenery and animal kingdom). I'll add "roots/ancestry" by the diaspora, too.

Yes, the new Black Spring in the south is making progress, but even that location has to be considered somewhat edgy for white folk these days.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, there, NN. But, once again, as you reiterate, national parks and animal refuges are the main attraction (scenery and animal kingdom). I'll add "roots/ancestry" by the diaspora, too.

Yes, the new Black Spring in the south is making progress, but even that location has to be considered somewhat edgy for white folk these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPGp8se48mw

Video of part of the wealthiest parts of Nigeria ^^^
I definitely think National parks are the main attraction, although Northern Africa is teeming with history, and a ton of the continent's historical sites are underutilized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlWMuIo8-VU&t=314s

https://qz.com/africa/1522501/africa...-africa-kenya/

Not to mention the fastest growing Tourism industry in the world is currently in Africa, although it owes the current increase to the effects of the Arab Spring, Sub-Saharan Africa is growing rapidly as well.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM

24,278 posts, read 9,163,981 times
Quote:
You're welcome, AFP. Uganda will take the brunt of this. But, many will see it as reason not to venture to the continent itself. However, other than a few national parks and refuges, what else is there?

"Hard negotiations" as search widens for American tourist kidnapped in Uganda (CBS News)
Tourism operators say cancellations are already flooding in.
Trust me, if someone wasn’t going to Africa before this kidnapping, they sure as hell weren’t going after it.

Point being, the kidnapping didn’t really hurt anything.

By the way, the kidnapped victim has already been rescued and is safe after the ransom was paid
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62217724

Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Trust me, if someone wasn’t going to Africa before this kidnapping, they sure as hell weren’t going after it.

Point being, the kidnapping didn’t really hurt anything.
I disagree. This will affect the travel situation, as reported in the posts given above. A quick solution does not guarantee a win in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
By the way, the kidnapped victim has already been rescued and is safe after the ransom was paid
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62217724
THANK YOU!! Joy! Joy! Safe conclusion.

" but it was not immediately known how much was paid to secure their release or who paid it.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I definitely think National parks are the main attraction, although Northern Africa is teeming with history, and a ton of the continent's historical sites are underutilized.

Not to mention the fastest growing Tourism industry in the world is currently in Africa, although it owes the current increase to the effects of the Arab Spring, Sub-Saharan Africa is growing rapidly as well.
Agreed. But, for some strange reason, I keep thinking of Northern Africa as a completely separate geographical entity.
Must be all those darn Arabs.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM

243 posts, read 264,216 times
You couldn’t pay me to go to Africa

Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,825,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Wow, so sad. I hope she’s found alive and uninjured.

Where in Africa? How does what happens in Uganda translate to an entire continent with over 50 countries?

South Africa, Namibia and Botswana I didn't say it did.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM

4,358 posts, read 4,205,837 times
That's sad to hear. Hope they get them back. Yeah this is definitely a major blow for Uganda's tourism and PR. What a shame, it was really looking like they where on the up swing.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That's sad to hear. Hope they get them back. Yeah this is definitely a major blow for Uganda's tourism and PR. What a shame, it was really looking like they where on the up swing.
I mean one incident doesn’t suddenly mean the country is more dangerous than it was, Norway still has a terrorist Attack with 70 dead and its murder rate is very low. Uganda’s murder rate for example is pretty similar to the city of Houston. The thing is it might deter American travelers but even then if it doesn’t suddenly become a reoccurring thing Uganda is still as safe as it was before the incident. Which is I.e safer than what Americans think it is, but not very safe at all. I go into the Houston area 24/7 including areas much more dangerous than the Houston(Uganda) murder rate says and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa