U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 09:10 AM

33 posts, read 16,325 times

Advertisements

I know some cafes will be closed for sure during the day and we are okay with that. My friend and I are traveling from the US and we are just wondering to what degree will everything be shut down? We plan on going to the cities of Fez, Chefchaouen, and Casablanca. We were planning to come during the month of May, until we realized it will be Ramadan... So, question: Like, will it be a relative ghost town during the day without even a shop that sells souvenirs open? Or is it more like 50% of places are closed ? (that we could deal with ). We are more independent travelers and don't need the super touristy hyped up experience, but we also don't want to go to this beautiful country during this time if it is definitely not recommended because no markets will be open whatsover. Surely the cities I listed that we will be visiting will still cater somewhat to the inevitable travelers coming through? I'm also curious how it may effect travel from city to city, if less buses will be running, etc? Or harder to find lodging such as hostels, airbnbs, and hotels? Thanks for the advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,607,822 times
Generally speaking, it's probably not a good time to be travelling there during Ramadan if at all possible. It will be pretty dead during the day and probably a lot of folks who have to serve you are probably not in a great mood.

I used to call on accounts in Pakistan and I would not visit during Ramadan for that reason.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,010,852 times
I would also avoid traveling there during Ramadan if possible for the same reasons as the above poster mentioned.

In a country like Malaysia, that wouldn’t really make much of a difference as businesses remain open.

Do restaurants close down in Morocco?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 PM

4,361 posts, read 1,657,079 times
In these times, a traveler might not even notice Ramadan unless someone mentions it. I spent two entire Ramadans in Jordan, one whole month in Indonesia, and traveled across Saudi, Kuwait and Iran during Ramadan.

It is not an enforced fast, Muslims are free to observe it according to their conscience. Many break it, but avoid being conspicuous when they do.

In Jordan, a shop always had a tray of glasses of tea delivered to prospective customers, and during Ramadan, the street boys would bring the tea covered by a box, so as not to visibly offend those fasting.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 PM

374 posts, read 94,223 times
I spent one Ramadan in Malaysia

Pretty much invisible to Kafirs. (us) Never saw anyone stupid enough to break fast in public; they would be arrested by the religious police and do gaol time.

40% of the population are non Muslim Chinese and some Indians; they own most of the shops ,restaurants and bars.

-Of course, fasting ends at sunset. It was not my practice to out in the heat of the day if i could avoid it..

Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 AM

144 posts, read 107,103 times
Of course people still work during Ramadan so shops will be open.
There will be more people out during the night, a very good ambiance. But during the daylight people may be a little bit tired (in particular during half the month until the end).
The best moment will be in the beginning of Ramadan or end of Ramadan so you can enjoy also "Eid el Fitr"

By the way there's a lot of non muslims living in Morocco so you can eat in their restaurants.

Remind one thing : people work even during Ramadan but the restaurants/cafés can be closed (except at night of course) or they hide the fact that they serve people (hide the windows)

Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 PM

4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
need to reromanize morocco and bring back reformed paganism

Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,557,690 times
If you are not a very early morning person and would rather stay up late at night & love festive feel, then Ramadan is great time to visit. especially if you are going to experience new culture. Malls & restaurants & hookah bars will be open all night long because it is holiday season there. If you are night person that is great. Shops might delay opening but by noon everyone will be up and running. I can't imagine any country shutting down for a month, I don't even think KSA would do that & Morocco has many non-Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or