U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM

105 posts, read 36,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

Many African's and Asian's do the same colorism isn't a European invention.
True, but I’m not talking about who invented colorism or not.

I’m simply just disagreeing with him when he says that whites view mixed-passing and pure-race passing minorities the same and there’s never any reason to highlight the differences between those populations.

Mixed people experience some discrimination too (not trying to argue this) BUT in a much different and less-intense way than pure-race people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 AM

5,454 posts, read 8,134,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
So people should give up their entire identities just to suit some toothless white nationalists on other continents?
People don't do that. Most countries that has much contact with mixed and blacks recognized both groups as a separate name, even if in many places there is just one national identity. You will see it everywhere in the Caribbean, many countries in Latin America, many countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, etc. It's a small group of people that has much contacts with those groups and "don't see the obvious".

When it comes to Spain, plenty of Spaniards do recognize mulattoes as different from blacks while others don't do that. Spain is a country that is basically white (over 90%), so that goes without saying. The other thing is that Spanish men that get together with mixed and black women have a tendency to prefer mulatto women to black ones.

The US does have a peculiar history, but its such a small part of the human race. Americans don't surpass more than 5% globally, and that's American people as a whole. When minorities as seen independently, the percentages falls even further. With that said, things are changing in the US. Race still forms the base of many peoples identity, but mixed people are increasingly more likely to claim mixed than anything else. As time goes on their numbers simply grow in reality and in identity. The US is very fractured when it comes to this since racial identity takes precedence above national identity to far too many people.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A huge percentage of whites refused to acknowledge that Obama was born in America, and a number are now saying Kamala is Indian and Jamaica and not eligible to run for office. This would never have been said about a 100 percent white.

Why on earth would anyone WANT a second hand throw a mixed race slave a bone category instead of fighting for equal rights?

Realistically people of color within the same family will have people who are very light, very dark, and everything in between? What kind of person would stand one of their brothers, sisters, siblings, or parents or other family being mistreated because this person is lighter or darker? No sane person, and no person who isn´t utter garbage.

You´re seeking to recreate 1800s US slave conditions. I´m not.

Re: light skinned people often had access to money or resources from a white parent or grandparent. Obama´s white mother was an academic and he was raised by his white grandmother who became a bank executive. Had his mother have been white trash he wouldn´t have gotten his education and would not have been the President.

Preference to lighter skinned slaves? How stupid! Who wants to be a slave at all?

Notice light skinned and dark skinned people have joined for civil rights in the US and in for other countries.

So clearly you´re not a person of color. If you are, you need your head examined.

And yes, I am descended from slaves, and yes, I am descended from white plantation owners. There was no pride in being a mulatto slave in the old South. Rosa Parks, from the civil rights movement had light skin and straight hair and was made to get to the back of the bus despite having a slightly better job (seamstress) than a dark skinned Black woman might have (working in the field or cleaning houses). Notice she still hated inequality and being treated for less than real white women. The "mulattos" of the colonial eras were house slaves/pets, which is still a horrible designation.
???

I’m trying to recreate slavery? You’re starting to be intellectually-dishonest and purposely distort my message. Not cool.

1. Every president (white, black, mixed, man, woman, Democrat, republican) will have crap talked about them. If he was a white male republican then ppl will also dig for excuses why he shouldn’t be president to suit their own personal agendas. It’s not morally right but this is just what humans do.

2. Nobody is saying that light skinned people have not rallied hard for Civil Rights. Where is this coming from?

I’m just stating that mixed and pure-race passing people shouldn’t always be lumped in with each other and they are currently (and have long been) viewed and treated differently from each other within white-controlled societies. Yes, we both have obviously faced hardships BUT to different extents and degrees because they view us differently.

- Yes, slavery clearly sucked for all minorities (nothing in my post even remotely attempted to glorify it) but light-skins were usually allowed to have the more desirable and much less strenuous indoor positions. Obviously they were still slaves and were still facing discrimination BUT IN A MUCH DIFFERENT WAY.

- Same goes for the SA Coloureds who were allowed access to reasonably decent housing, jobs, etc. YES, they were still oppressed BUT still way differently than the native blacks.

- No, I’m not just dwelling in the past. See one of my last posts where I also have several recent in-depth examples of how pure and mixed passing people have different levels of access to their country’s politics, white spaces, certain job opportunities and are portrayed vastly different in the white-ran media of their respective countries. Again, they still and have always seen the difference between us!

And yes, slavery still has some relevancy to modern times because in REALITY (which you like to use); we live in a world with cause&effect and every action having a reaction. NO, all modern-day problems of minorities shouldn’t be blamed on it and it shouldn’t be a scapegoat for accountability. However, there’s no denying that it’s after-effects still exist and are well-documented. This a a whole different loaded topic so I won't go more into this.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 08-06-2019 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,425,700 times
Black American here. never have I ever in my life heard any Black American call themselves or us as a group moors. not a day in my life. 95% of Black Americans dont know what a moor is/was

Old 08-06-2019, 11:57 PM

24,385 posts, read 17,804,551 times
Quote:
???

I’m trying to recreate slavery? You’re starting to be intellectually-dishonest and purposely distort my message. Not cool.

1. Every president (white, black, mixed, man, woman, Democrat, republican) will have crap talked about them. If he was a white male republican then ppl will also dig for excuses why he shouldn’t be president to suit their own personal agendas. It’s not morally right but this is just what humans do.

2. Nobody is saying that light skinned people have not rallied hard for Civil Rights. Where is this coming from?

I’m just stating that mixed and pure-race passing people shouldn’t always be lumped in with each other and they are currently (and have long been) viewed and treated differently from each other within white-controlled societies. Yes, we both have obviously faced hardships BUT to different extents and degrees because they view us differently.

- Yes, slavery clearly sucked for all minorities (nothing in my post even remotely attempted to glorify it) but light-skins were usually allowed to have the more desirable and much less strenuous indoor positions. Obviously they were still slaves and were still facing discrimination BUT IN A MUCH DIFFERENT WAY.

- Same goes for the SA Coloureds who were allowed access to reasonably decent housing, jobs, etc. YES, they were still oppressed BUT still way differently than the native blacks.

- No, I’m not just dwelling in the past. See one of my last posts where I also have several recent in-depth examples of how pure and mixed passing people have different levels of access to their country’s politics, white spaces, certain job opportunities and are portrayed vastly different in the white-ran media of their respective countries. Again, they still and have always seen the difference between us!

And yes, slavery still has some relevancy to modern times because in REALITY (which you like to use); we live in a world with cause&effect and every action having a reaction. NO, all modern-day problems of minorities shouldn’t be blamed on it and it shouldn’t be a scapegoat for accountability. However, there’s no denying that it’s after-effects still exist and are well-documented. This a a whole different loaded topic so I won't go more into this.
The gunman in Texas murdered a bunch of Latinos and at least some of them had to be mixed race. Worldwide there is a growing white nationalists movement.

A job opportunity does not protect you from being killed by a white nationalists who will not see anyone as mixed, just as a non white other. Actual Latinos I know in the US are living in fear. This could be them or their families next? Or maybe the next shooter will decide to shoot up Black People. A shooter is not going to kill just dark skinned people and spare “mixed” people when the Latinos that are being targeted are even lighter.

All if the newspapers in the US are now talking about white nationalism.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 AM

112 posts, read 8,897 times
Quote:
As a black American myself, I agree that a very vocal minority of us make us look like clowns online to the entire world. A small subset of Black Americans online are known for harassing any outside group even remotely associated with Africa:

- Demanding/shaming Dominicans, SA Cape Coloureds and certain other groups into identifying as black (yes - many have high or even majority afro ancestry but it’s none of our business and has zero affect on us what they choose to identify as. Click on ANY popular YouTube video about Dominicans and you’ll see the harassment. I dont fully blame us for this one since the One Drop Rule was created by whites and pushed on us during slavery but we need to remember that different countries have different racial classification systems; and not everyone has to think the same.)

- Claiming Egypt as a solely black civilization. Bantu blacks MAY have had some involvement but the evidence seems limited at this point. Plus, why wholeheartedly claim a disputed civilization when there were so many awesome civilizations throughout West African history (like Mansa Musa of the Ghana Empire who was the richest man to ever live. Black Americans have a massive global influence and have added so much to pop culture despite being a small group so we have a lot to feel proud about so it bewilders me why many resort to this). Just not a good look!

- Claiming to be Israelites. These are the worst ones on the list. Usually they’re very poor and dusty standing on street corners screaming at ppl and shouting hateful/racist/homophobic/offensive rhetoric. It’s ok to be pro-whatever ethnicity you are but they have no plans to increase the social standing of their people so they’re just wasting their time. They’re militant nature and false-confidence attracts some women but they’re known to be very abusive and mysogonistic towards them.

It’s just all so embarassing so I don’t blame outsiders for feeling this way towards us. Just remember that it’s a small minority of us. Lol, most black Americans (and Americans in general) could care less about anything outside of the USA and a select few closely-linked countries.

(But to answer the OP’s question, I’ve never heard of the Mauri ppl...though I’ve heard of the Moors who’ve invaded parts of Southern Europe back in the day).

If you don't get the hell out of here with that nonsense(bolded). Stop ass-kissing. No Black person online is shaming "Cape Colored" or even know who they are. Also there are many Dominicans racist trolling African-Americans online. Especially this one Youtuber giving hints to Dominican gangs to attack AAs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLeYHqaUcY

Like I said this is the most ass-kissing posts I ever seen. I agree those Black Hebrew/Moorish dudes are retarded but this post is so cringeworthy. And wtf is a "Bantu Black" Aframs and West Africans aren't Bantus.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:26 AM

112 posts, read 8,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
True. Name one Moorish or North African pop star. I can name a lot of African American ones.

The people using those words no nothing about African Americans (or anything else).
Forget pop stars. How about contributions to SCIENCE. Name me a Moroccan/Moorish innovator that comes close to George Washington Carver or Alexander Miles. I can go on. Or our activist leaders or our athletes.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Forget pop stars. How about contributions to SCIENCE. Name me a Moroccan/Moorish innovator that comes close to George Washington Carver or Alexander Miles. I can go on. Or our activist leaders or our athletes.
Good points.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
If you don't get the hell out of here with that nonsense(bolded). Stop ass-kissing. [b]No Black person online is shaming "Cape Colored" or even know who they are.
So no black American online has ever heard of Coloureds? Geez, way to insult black people’s intelligence!

Quote:
Also there are many Dominicans racist trolling African-Americans online. Especially this one Youtuber giving hints to Dominican gangs to attack AAs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLeYHqaUcY
I never said that there weren’t any Dominicans who are retaliating online. Again, click on just about any popular YouTube video or any black forum topic discussing Dominicans and you’ll get black Americans all over the place trying to shame them. This is a fact...don’t take my word for it, try checking out those pages yourself and THEN come back to me.

I checked out that guy’s YT channel and I disagree with a lot of what he is saying. HOWEVER, at least he isn’t going out of his way to invade online African American spaces and harass them. At the end of the day, his videos are clearly directed to those within his own community and he’s not out here trying tell black Americans how to live their lives and what their identity should be.

Quote:
Like I said this is the most ass-kissing posts I ever seen. I agree those Black Hebrew/Moorish dudes are retarded but this post is so cringeworthy. And wtf is a "Bantu Black" Aframs and West Africans aren't Bantus.
Call it what you want but the truth is the truth. Since you’re taking this to heart then you MUST be one of the people that i’m talking about. I’m simply just acknowledging the obvious reality that a small but very vocal segment of black Americans believe they have the right to police other people’s identities.

Any African American who was not guilty of this would not have been offended by my post b/c, again, I CLEARLY STATED that only a tiny but very vocal minority of black Americans do this to others online. Never did I suggest that most do this.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 08-07-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
True, but I’m not talking about who invented colorism or not.

I’m simply just disagreeing with him when he says that whites view mixed-passing and pure-race passing minorities the same and there’s never any reason to highlight the differences between those populations.

Mixed people experience some discrimination too (not trying to argue this) BUT in a much different and less-intense way than pure-race people.
So how about when the gunman killed 20 Latinos in Texas in an intense anti immigrant rampage? I’m sure they were all mixed race?

What about the immigrants who die at the border at the hands of border control? Or when ICE deports undocumented immigrants or takes their children? Being mixed race does not save people from white supremacy.

White supremacist value the “purity” of race and do not want there to even be race mixing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or