Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 PM

220 posts, read 123,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippo King View Post
Many of them are lost and confused. They are looking for an identity. The Moors who came into Europe were in fact black African, and yes many of the Moors were in place in North America prior to Columbus. That does not mean however that this is the lineage of most Afro Americans.

Who the hell are lost and confused? Aframs/ADOS have the most influential culture world wide. We don't need to claim some dead and irrelevant culture. So get out of here with this "lost and confused." I notice many people like using those two words towards us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM

203 posts, read 120,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippo King View Post
Many of them are lost and confused. They are looking for an identity. The Moors who came into Europe were in fact black African, and yes many of the Moors were in place in North America prior to Columbus. That does not mean however that this is the lineage of most Afro Americans.
How and when did these Moors get to North America before Columbus (and before or after Vikings)? Serious question.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,839,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
As a black American myself, I agree that a very vocal minority of us make us look like clowns online to the entire world. A small subset of Black Americans online are known for harassing any outside group even remotely associated with Africa:

- Demanding/shaming Dominicans, SA Cape Coloureds and certain other groups into identifying as black (yes - many have high or even majority afro ancestry but it’s none of our business and has zero affect on us what they choose to identify as. Click on ANY popular YouTube video about Dominicans and you’ll see the harassment. I dont fully blame us for this one since the One Drop Rule was created by whites and pushed on us during slavery but we need to remember that different countries have different racial classification systems; and not everyone has to think the same.)

- Claiming Egypt as a solely black civilization. Bantu blacks MAY have had some involvement but the evidence seems limited at this point. Plus, why wholeheartedly claim a disputed civilization when there were so many awesome civilizations throughout West African history (like Mansa Musa of the Ghana Empire who was the richest man to ever live. Black Americans have a massive global influence and have added so much to pop culture despite being a small group so we have a lot to feel proud about so it bewilders me why many resort to this). Just not a good look!

- Claiming to be Israelites. These are the worst ones on the list. Usually they’re very poor and dusty standing on street corners screaming at ppl and shouting hateful/racist/homophobic/offensive rhetoric. It’s ok to be pro-whatever ethnicity you are but they have no plans to increase the social standing of their people so they’re just wasting their time. They’re militant nature and false-confidence attracts some women but they’re known to be very abusive and mysogonistic towards them.

It’s just all so embarassing so I don’t blame outsiders for feeling this way towards us. Just remember that it’s a small minority of us. Lol, most black Americans (and Americans in general) could care less about anything outside of the USA and a select few closely-linked countries.

(But to answer the OP’s question, I’ve never heard of the Mauri ppl...though I’ve heard of the Moors who’ve invaded parts of Southern Europe back in the day).
How does anyone make Black Americans look like clowns? It does not matter if these people are "wrong",Black people are not the borg and do not have the same opinions, beliefs, opinions, etc.

Re: racial classification, who really gives a damn? Worldwide any majority white country does not see "mixed"people as "mulattoes". Of course in the context of the Dominican Republic Dominicans can call themselves whatever they want. Spaniards or Europeans just call them Black and/foreigners, and there are various fascist movements within European nations such as Vox in Spain, LePenn´s movement in France, the far right in Italy, etc.

In the context of the US we just had a shooter kill Latinos in El Paso. So does it really matter whether they were natives or mestizos? They are not white, and the white nationalists want them DEAD whatever they call themselves. This is the world we live in.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Who the hell are lost and confused? Aframs/ADOS have the most influential culture world wide. We don't need to claim some dead and irrelevant culture. So get out of here with this "lost and confused." I notice many people like using those two words towards us.
True. Name one Moorish or North African pop star. I can name a lot of African American ones.

The people using those words no nothing about African Americans (or anything else).

Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 AM

151 posts, read 131,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How does anyone make Black Americans look like clowns? It does not matter if these people are "wrong",Black people are not the borg and do not have the same opinions, beliefs, opinions, etc.

Re: racial classification, who really gives a damn? Worldwide any majority white country does not see "mixed"people as "mulattoes". Of course in the context of the Dominican Republic Dominicans can call themselves whatever they want. Spaniards or Europeans just call them Black and/foreigners, and there are various fascist movements within European nations such as Vox in Spain, LePenn´s movement in France, the far right in Italy, etc.

In the context of the US we just had a shooter kill Latinos in El Paso. So does it really matter whether they were natives or mestizos? They are not white, and the white nationalists want them DEAD whatever they call themselves. This is the world we live in.
So people should give up their entire identities just to suit some toothless white nationalists on other continents?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,154,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
True. Name one Moorish or North African pop star. I can name a lot of African American ones.

The people using those words no nothing about African Americans (or anything else).
The one that comes to mind is French Montana, and he is influenced by the AAs of NYC.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
So people should give up their entire identities just to suit some toothless white nationalists on other continents?
They seem to have a lot of teeth in Europe and in North America. Particularly with certain right wing politicians, law enforcement, among others. Even with immigration policy.

So identify does not matter. Reality does.

But yes, in the context of the Dominican Republic do call yourself whatever you want. But be aware of the fact that white majority countries don’t do “mixed”. You’re Black or Native or whatever if you have any obvious non white in and there are people who will hate anyone not a pure white.

On a personal level, based on how I look I’ve been alternatively referred to as Black or mixed. But if I come into contact with any racist North American or European or Australian all they will see is Black.

The guy in Texas who killed Latinos just saw Natives/non whites.

I think it sounds like some people are in denial about how bad white racism is worldwide and think if they can declare themselves mixed they are somehow better than Blacks or Natives. Idiotic.

Before anyone says I used Jewish ancestry to get Spanish citizenship, one third of Jews were killed off recently and anti Semitism is still big Europe. Being descended from Blacks and Jews does not endear me to white racists. I know this and don’t try to come up with 500 ways not to be Black or Native in the case of some people.

I will take the benefits of an EU passport, but I am who I am. A person of color. Black.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-06-2019 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 10:29 AM

151 posts, read 131,734 times
I disagree with most people in white-majority countries not knowing the difference between ‘mixed-race passing’ and ‘pure-race passing’ blacks/natives.

If you follow a lot of colorism conversations, you will quickly understand that the lightest and heavily mixed-race passing women from both black and Hispanic cultures within these countries are clearly elevated and given ALOT more opportunities over the darker ones by the white mainstream media (in music, movies, entertainment, advertising, etc). Especially when it comes to more positive/favorable roles. Most whites know the difference between mixed and regular minorities!

Even in politics, light skinned/mixed blacks of both genders are allowed to gain more footing, more power and access to more white spaces within their society than darker ones (Obama, Corey Booker, Fredrick Douglas, Kamala, Ray Nagin, Colin Powell, David Dinkins, etc). They know the difference!

Heavily-mixed and light skinned latinas get preference over darker ones in the novellas and other media from Latin countries (where the white latinos control the media); they are also provided with more and better job opportunities on average. They know the difference!

Even back in slavery days (and Apartheid days in South Africa), there was heavy preference given to the mixed-raced and lighter-skinned slaves and Coloureds over others. They knew the difference then too!

They know the difference. A lot just like to pretend not to and play the ‘colorblind card’ in an attempt to not look racist.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 08-06-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 10:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,829,233 times
Quote:
I disagree with most people in white-majority countries not knowing the difference between ‘mixed-race passing’ and ‘pure-race passing’ blacks/natives.

If you follow a lot of colorism conversations, you will quickly understand that the lightest and heavily mixed-race passing women from both black and Hispanic cultures within these countries are clearly elevated and given ALOT more opportunities over the darker ones by the white mainstream media (in music, movies, entertainment, advertising, etc). Especially when it comes to positive roles. Most whites know the difference between mixed and regular minorities!

Even in politics, light skinned/mixed blacks of both genders gain more footing, more power and access to more white spaces within their society than darker ones (Obama, Corey Booker, Fredrick Douglas, Kamala, Ray Nagin, Colin Powell, David Dinkins, etc). They know the difference!

Heavily-mixed and light skinned latinas get preference over darker ones in the novellas and other media from Latin countries (where the white latinos control the media); they are also provided with more and better job opportunities on average. They know the difference!

Even back in slavery days (and Apartheid days in South Africa), there was heavy preference given to the mixed-raced and lighter-skinned slaves over others. They knew the difference then too!

They know the difference. A lot just like to pretend not to and play the ‘colorblind card’ in an attempt to not look racist.

Many African's and Asian's do the same colorism isn't a European invention.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:

If you follow a lot of colorism conversations, you will quickly understand that the lightest and heavily mixed-race passing women from both black and Hispanic cultures within these countries are clearly elevated and given ALOT more opportunities over the darker ones by the white mainstream media (in music, movies, entertainment, advertising, etc). Especially when it comes to more positive/favorable roles. Most whites know the difference between mixed and regular minorities!

Even in politics, light skinned/mixed blacks of both genders are allowed to gain more footing, more power and access to more white spaces within their society than darker ones (Obama, Corey Booker, Fredrick Douglas, Kamala, Ray Nagin, Colin Powell, David Dinkins, etc). They know the difference!

Even back in slavery days (and Apartheid days in South Africa), there was heavy preference given to the mixed-raced and lighter-skinned slaves over others. They knew the difference then too!

A huge percentage of whites refused to acknowledge that Obama was born in America, and a number are now saying Kamala is Indian and Jamaica and not eligible to run for office. This would never have been said about a 100 percent white.

Why on earth would anyone WANT a second hand throw a mixed race slave a bone category instead of fighting for equal rights?

Realistically people of color within the same family will have people who are very light, very dark, and everything in between? What kind of person would stand one of their brothers, sisters, siblings, or parents or other family being mistreated because this person is lighter or darker? No sane person, and no person who isn´t utter garbage.

You´re seeking to recreate 1800s US slave conditions. I´m not.

Re: light skinned people often had access to money or resources from a white parent or grandparent. Obama´s white mother was an academic and he was raised by his white grandmother who became a bank executive. Had his mother have been white trash he wouldn´t have gotten his education and would not have been the President.

Preference to lighter skinned slaves? How stupid! Who wants to be a slave at all?

Notice light skinned and dark skinned people have joined for civil rights in the US and in for other countries.

So clearly you´re not a person of color. If you are, you need your head examined.

And yes, I am descended from slaves, and yes, I am descended from white plantation owners. There was no pride in being a mulatto slave in the old South. Rosa Parks, from the civil rights movement had light skin and straight hair and was made to get to the back of the bus despite having a slightly better job (seamstress) than a dark skinned Black woman might have (working in the field or cleaning houses). Notice she still hated inequality and being treated for less than real white women. The "mulattos" of the colonial eras were house slaves/pets, which is still a horrible designation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa