U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM

603 posts, read 464,496 times

Advertisements

I don't think its possible to properly discuss this topic without pictures.

Some random pics here of African textured hair.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Perhaps loose curls, wavy, and maybe even straight hair have originated in East Africa(specifically in the horn sub-region), and parts of North Africa as well. I'm not convinced it's all because of Euroasian admixture, because I've seen DNA results of people from Ethiopia and Somali with nearly straight hair, yet sub-saharan African ancestry is in the high 80s and 90s.
Relatively recently, they analyzed the ancient DNA of people from North Africa prior to the arrival of farmers from the Near East. This hunter-gatherer population mixed together with those Near Eastern agriculturalists and formed basically the base of the modern Berber population. Anyway, it seems this group split off from all non-Africans after East Africans, but prior to any non-Africans splitting apart. These ancient North Africans had black skin, but they appear to have had straightish hair.

As to East Africa, I have noticed that even though Ethiopians tend to have more West Eurasian ancestry than Somalis (up to 50%, as opposed to 30% in Somalis), Ethiopians almost always have curly to kinky hair, while a fair amount of Somalis have straight hair. Some of it might have to do with a "founder effect" in the Somalis if they began from a relatively small population. Basically random genetic drift may have made them more enriched for looser hair than people in nearby areas.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

Your pictures made my day.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:56 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

Great pictures!

Old 06-29-2019, 11:29 AM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
All I know is, I think it’s too bad that women with this kind of hair don’t just embrace it, instead of spending so much time and money straightening it. I happen to think the hair in the pictures is beautiful. If I did have African hair, I’d go on the short side and let it fly.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:58 AM

466 posts, read 81,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is, I think itís too bad that women with this kind of hair donít just embrace it, instead of spending so much time and money straightening it. I happen to think the hair in the pictures is beautiful. If I did have African hair, Iíd go on the short side and let it fly.

And therein lies the problem.
It seems that others without African hair (and some with it) are uncomfortable just looking at it unless it's either short or practically bald. For some reason, any black person - especially women - growing or wearing any type hair longer than ear length is some sort of forbidden thing. Why?

Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 AM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
And therein lies the problem.
It seems that others without African hair (and some with it) are uncomfortable just looking at it unless it's either short or practically bald. For some reason, any black person - especially women - growing or wearing any type hair longer than ear length is some sort of forbidden thing. Why?
Itís not, but it seems like they think their natural hair is not good enough.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 AM

5,259 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Quote:
All I know is, I think it’s too bad that women with this kind of hair don’t just embrace it, instead of spending so much time and money straightening it. I happen to think the hair in the pictures is beautiful. If I did have African hair, I’d go on the short side and let it fly.
There was a great documentary back in 2009 called Good Hair and I found it totally fascinating (and I'm a white male), I didn't realize that supposedly the black hair industry is worth $9 Billion!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,312,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diversitylove View Post
Why do African babies have straight hair?
They don't. At least not universally.

My nieces and nephews certainly already had kinky hair (if they had hair) as babies.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM

466 posts, read 81,965 times
Quote:
Itís not, but it seems like they think their natural hair is not good enough.
Are you saying natural hair is not, or should not be long? Or do you mean they should not want to have more styling options and individual choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or