U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 AM

466 posts, read 81,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is, I think itís too bad that women with this kind of hair donít just embrace it, instead of spending so much time and money straightening it. I happen to think the hair in the pictures is beautiful. If I did have African hair, Iíd go on the short side and let it fly.
I might not like what you do to your hair, but that does not make me care what you do with it For instance, I don't like much at all the shaven head look on guys or toupees on newscasters, but that's their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Relatively recently, they analyzed the ancient DNA of people from North Africa prior to the arrival of farmers from the Near East. This hunter-gatherer population mixed together with those Near Eastern agriculturalists and formed basically the base of the modern Berber population. Anyway, it seems this group split off from all non-Africans after East Africans, but prior to any non-Africans splitting apart. These ancient North Africans had black skin, but they appear to have had straightish hair.

As to East Africa, I have noticed that even though Ethiopians tend to have more West Eurasian ancestry than Somalis (up to 50%, as opposed to 30% in Somalis), Ethiopians almost always have curly to kinky hair, while a fair amount of Somalis have straight hair. Some of it might have to do with a "founder effect" in the Somalis if they began from a relatively small population. Basically random genetic drift may have made them more enriched for looser hair than people in nearby areas.
Somalia is a relatively ethnically homogeneous country- 85% identify as ethnic Somali. It's also a small country of just 11 million. Ethiopia, in contrast, has crossed 100 million mark with about 80 ethnic groups, although the Oromo and Amhara are nearly two-thirds of the population. Also, I think Ethiopia has a larger portion of its population that is Bantu in phenotype and genetically, which may explain some of the kinkier hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
And therein lies the problem.
It seems that others without African hair (and some with it) are uncomfortable just looking at it unless it's either short or practically bald. For some reason, any black person - especially women - growing or wearing any type hair longer than ear length is some sort of forbidden thing. Why?
I have noticed in the past(and it still persists to a degree today) whenever I go to the barbershop and see a father or mother bringing along their son to get a haircut, they have it cut very low, even when the hair was Caesar length already. This tends to pertain to those with very kinky hair (4b and 4c types). Men and young boys alike with looser kinks and curls were more often to maintain their hair at a greater length, even though it is still short.

Nowadays, I see plenty of black men and some women with natural hair styles and locs. In my area, I'd say there are just as many black men between ages 18-30 with locs or kinkier styled fros/high top taper fades as there are with the traditional buzz cuts and low tapers. I think it has become more acceptable even in a professional work environment for a black dude to have neatly fashioned locs.

When it comes to the women, although there are a good amount that have embraced the natural styles, I still see an even much greater portion that religiously wear the straight weaves and the like. The thing of it is, the hair looks fake(and often ridiculous) on most of the black women who wear them. While it may be that other groups may feel uncomfortable seeing the natural hair, I feel as though a lot of black women continue to perpetuate this belief.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Somalia is a relatively ethnically homogeneous country- 85% identify as ethnic Somali. It's also a small country of just 11 million. Ethiopia, in contrast, has crossed 100 million mark with about 80 ethnic groups, although the Oromo and Amhara are nearly two-thirds of the population. Also, I think Ethiopia has a larger portion of its population that is Bantu in phenotype and genetically, which may explain some of the kinkier hair.

I have noticed in the past(and it still persists to a degree today) whenever I go to the barbershop and see a father or mother bringing along their son to get a haircut, they have it cut very low(sometimes just short of bald, even when the hair was Caesar length already. This tends to pertain to those with very kinky hair (4b and 4c types). Men and young boys alike with looser kinks and curls were more often maintain their hair a little bit more lengthy, even though it is still short.

Nowadays, I see plenty of black men and some women with natural hair styles and locs. In my area, I'd say there are just as many black men between ages 18-30 with locs or kinkier styled fros/high top taper fades as there are with the traditional buzz cuts and low tapers. I think it has become more acceptable even in a professional work environment for a black dude to have neatly fashioned locs.

When it comes to the women, although there are a good amount that have embraced the natural styles, I still see an even much greater portion that religiously wear the straight weaves and the like. The thing of it is, the hair looks fake(and often ridiculous) on most of the black women who wear them. While it may be that other groups may feel uncomfortable seeing the natural hair, I feel as though a lot of black women continue to perpetuate this belief by wearing looser hair textures way more than what they have.
What if the black woman in question has looser curls, extremely thinning with age and poor health?

Why do you think most wear loosely curled weaves? Wig makers can't produce 4c natural hair. It is because, as we all know, kinky hair is very delicate and very time consuming, plus rarely looks good on anyone unless they are naturally attractive. The photos shown here are of "hot babes with hair," not those going through chemo or other health issues, or the plain girls who don't want to look or feel and be thought of as boys. Kinky hair wigs are not even reasonable because It takes much more than running a brush or comb through to make any kinky to hair work out how you would like it, both real and fake. I would much rather see someone wearing a weave or wig than allowing their hair to fall in the food because of an illness or aging.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:57 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
Quote:
I might not like what you do to your hair, but that does not make me care what you do with it For instance, I don't like much at all the shaven head look on guys or toupees on newscasters, but that's their choice.
We certainly agree on that!

Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
What if the black woman in question has looser curls, extremely thinning with age and poor health?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that tight braids and the various hair straighteners cause hair loss themselves. So if you're wearing anything other than just a straight-up wig, you could end up with very damaged, thin hair that would need quite a bit of time to recover in order to have a "natural" hairstyle.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that tight braids and the various hair straighteners cause hair loss themselves. So if you're wearing anything other than just a straight-up wig, you could end up with very damaged, thin hair that would need quite a bit of time to recover in order to have a "natural" hairstyle.
Tight braids and hair straighteners do cause lots of damage but those are not the only reasons for damage and hair loss. Chemicals and other additives in the food and water systems have destroyed the "natural" look of our bodies. Medications, sleep disorders, and many illnesses can damage hair. And let's not forget how black mother's deal with their children's hair. Black girls are mostly damaged by 10 years old because schools don't seem to like kids with lots of big hair. Age can do it, too. That black lady you see on the street wearing fake hair might look 40 when she's actually 65, thinning severely, and brittle gray.

Lastly, I wonder if the bigger problem is with the wig making business. More "yaki" type and tightly waved longer styles should be available so the women that need it can look natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or