U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the top 10 most powerful emerging African countries, which one do you root for its success the mo
Egypt 1 3.57%
Nigeria 10 35.71%
South Africa 2 7.14%
Ethiopia 4 14.29%
Algeria 0 0%
Morocco 2 7.14%
Kenya 3 10.71%
Ghana 5 17.86%
Tanzania 1 3.57%
Côte d'Ivoire 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,393 posts, read 6,476,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
AntionoR,

I don't represent SA's government and I don't believe in anything the CIA publishes. Am not an expert on SA, but in many places in Africa $13k annually is more than enough to live comfortably. Shelter, food, education and the opportunity to work mobilizes an economy.
True. We can't compare $13k in South Africa to, say, $13k in the United States. Different economies, costs of living, expenses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 10:37 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,130,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
AntionoR,

I don't represent SA's government and I don't believe in anything the CIA publishes. Am not an expert on SA, but in many places in Africa $13k annually is more than enough to live comfortably. Shelter, food, education and the opportunity to work mobilizes an economy.
That's $13,000 in Purchasing Power Parity, which does takes into account local purchasing power and market conditions to take away from market exchange rate. The latter can be manipulated by governments and doesn't take into account that purchasing power is different in many places (in this case, $13,000 if it was a market exchange rate would afford a different standard of living in say the USA vs SA).

South Africa needs to be richer to be able to offer a dignified lifestyle even to its poorest citizens vis-a-vis other countries. If a person looks at another aspects, countries with developed economies have more millionaires per capita than countries with underdeveloped economies. Generally, the more developed a place, the more millionaires it has. There is a correlation between the two.

CIA World Factbook is a convenient source, but any sources used for SA show a similar level.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM

3,156 posts, read 6,863,533 times
AntionoR,

What are we communicating about? I'd like to keep up with the purpose of the thread it shouldn't be all about SA. I'm not the ambassador for SA (nevertheless a good discussion I just don't want to hijack the thread).

SA has a high unemployment rate with many of its people still living in shacks. SA is a very wealthy country that has diamonds and gold as leading commodities in addition to its farming industry which the majority of SAs don't benefit from only 1% enjoy the wealth, comparatively speaking its GDP is around $350B annually and will be north of $400B in 2020 and is one of the wealthiest countries in Africa. SA is very developed what are you trying to say (it amongst the most developed in all of Africa)? Education and the opportunity for employment is the issue at this point. How much of the $350B do the people not included in the 1% have access to?

You can't compare $13k in the USA to the living standard to that of SA (I think people will take money over not making any, also many people in USA live off of the $13k too and I'd rather have that income in SA over that in the USA). Again industries must be established that is inclusive of impoverished people giving them the opportunity to get long term jobs and or create businesses or you have all sets of issues like robberies when there are such imbalances. The government can aid in the aforementioned disparities (especially around business development export/import and giving back lands taken during the apartheid area and tearing down shacks and redeveloping areas that have them thus providing jobs) but its the people that have to build up the country and must share the same mindset of success. There has to be a balance with opportunity and this balance fundamentally starts with education.

I root for all African country's success.

Old Today, 08:43 PM

4,256 posts, read 3,629,497 times
How about all of them. It is just too much wealth in the form of natural resources and all of Africa can win. The colonizers have stolen for far too long, but government corruption from natives does not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or