U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the top 10 most powerful emerging African countries, which one do you root for its success the mo
Egypt 1 3.70%
Nigeria 9 33.33%
South Africa 2 7.41%
Ethiopia 4 14.81%
Algeria 0 0%
Morocco 2 7.41%
Kenya 3 11.11%
Ghana 5 18.52%
Tanzania 1 3.70%
Côte d'Ivoire 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,141,785 times

Advertisements

Of the top 10 most powerful emerging African countries, which one do you root for its success the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 PM

67 posts, read 6,229 times
Tanzania, Ghana and Ivory Coast. I don't know how Nigeria is winning.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM

5,422 posts, read 8,117,403 times
I root for Ghana more than anywhere else in that continent.

South Africa has some issues it needs to solve, and there is a political party that has and is gaining power despite their communist ideals. I don't see this place going forward without solving those two things. Crime there appears to be out of control in many areas. I still think that Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:08 AM

99 posts, read 34,237 times
I hope that they all win.

I probably root for Nigeria the most since it has the largest population. I don’t agree with a lot of things going on there but I wish it the best.

It’ll be hard for any part of continental Africa to attain developed country standards of livings since as soon as word gets out; there will be mass-migrations. The exploding birth rate makes things even more challenging.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:45 AM

851 posts, read 660,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Tanzania, Ghana and Ivory Coast. I don't know how Nigeria is winning.
Because it is the giant of Africa and has the most successful Black Diaspora in the world.

It has also created more black billionaires than the United States..

Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 AM

967 posts, read 1,557,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I root for Ghana more than anywhere else in that continent.

South Africa has some issues it needs to solve, and there is a political party that has and is gaining power despite their communist ideals. I don't see this place going forward without solving those two things. Crime there appears to be out of control in many areas. I still think that Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Really? Even more so than, say, Bahamas?

Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 PM

5,422 posts, read 8,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Really? Even more so than, say, Bahamas?
I would say so if we're talking about Nassau, which is really the only city (very large by Bahamas standards, but in most places it would be considered a small to medium size city). The beaches look nicer in Nassau than in Cape Town, but is there anywhere in the Bahamas much higher than sea level? That place is basically flat all over while Cape Town has an impressive scenery. Overall, if I had to choose between Cape Town and Nassau, South Africa it is.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Because it is the giant of Africa
The irony whenever I hear that statement. Nigeria has all sorts of problems/issues from the Niger Delta, North, Fulani raids, largest poverty in the world(more than India), Bahuri running the ship, etc. How is that a successful African nation?? Botswana is an example of a successful African nation. Ghana and Ivory Coast are examples of African nations improving. Heck I would be surprised if Nigeria doesn't balkanize by the way things are doing.

Quote:
and has the most successful Black Diaspora in the world.

In terms of what? Outside of USA and UK Nigerians are doing terrible and have a negative stigma to them. More importantly what the heck does their diaspora have to do with the country?

Quote:
It has also created more black billionaires than the United States..

lol... Yea CORRUPT Black Billionaires. No thanks.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I would say so if we're talking about Nassau, which is really the only city (very large by Bahamas standards, but in most places it would be considered a small to medium size city). The beaches look nicer in Nassau than in Cape Town, but is there anywhere in the Bahamas much higher than sea level? That place is basically flat all over while Cape Town has an impressive scenery. Overall, if I had to choose between Cape Town and Nassau, South Africa it is.

Swahili Coast has the most beautiful beaches in the world. Southeast Asia beaches would be second for me.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:01 AM

851 posts, read 660,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
The irony whenever I hear that statement. Nigeria has all sorts of problems/issues from the Niger Delta, North, Fulani raids, largest poverty in the world(more than India), Bahuri running the ship, etc. How is that a successful African nation?? Botswana is an example of a successful African nation. Ghana and Ivory Coast are examples of African nations improving. Heck I would be surprised if Nigeria doesn't balkanize by the way things are doing.

In terms of what? Outside of USA and UK Nigerians are doing terrible and have a negative stigma to them. More importantly what the heck does their diaspora have to do with the country?

lol... Yea CORRUPT Black Billionaires. No thanks.
I obviously touched a nerve. But at nearly 200 million souls, Nigeria is Africa's largest economy and assuming it remains in its current guise, will only further dominate the African continent's economy..

You cannot just ignore the fact that Nigerians have prospered socio economically in the UK/US and merely state they have a bad reputation. Name any other black group that has the same level of socio economic achievement as Nigerians outside of their homes country?

Whether it is academic achievement or general prosperity their diaspora are ahead of all other black groups and often the only black group to achieve economic parity with majority population of the country in which they reside. As for what the Diaspora means for Nigeria? About 25 billion dollars per annum in remittances one of the highest amounts in the world alongside Indians and Chinese diasporas. That money flows into projects like Eko Atlantic that have no equivalent elsewhere in Africa.

In fact resentment of Nigerians stems from the fact that unlike other black groups they kow tow to no-one. They can be brash, but they work hard towards their goals and often achieve them. Sadly the same cannot be said of other black groups who often defer to foreign populations.

Also please show me how the wealth of individuals like Alikio Dangote was born of corruption? Also explain how the fortunes of many a wealthy man was not borne of some illicit activity. I doubt you would raise such a point when speaking about Russian or Chinese oligarchs for example. Or you would quibble about Jeff Besos getting out of paying tax?

You sound like another individual who is jealous of Nigerians, shame you cannot embrace them as a successful black group and a source of pride/inspiration.

Last edited by nograviti; 08-03-2019 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or