U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:34 AM

9,478 posts, read 10,216,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrellis View Post
This is how I Understand Amerigo Vespucci's account of the Cape Verde Islands. Ptlomey, who lived 1400 years prior, called the Islands " Aethiopie promontory". Aethiopie, is a Greek word for dark-skinned people. Europeans then called it Cape Verde and the Ethiopians who lived there Beseghice. In other words, ETHIOPIANS LIVED THERE and were called some strange name which seems to be erased from all history, just like the inhabitants.

What is Beseghice? Why is it Amerigo's Letter is the only account of such a name?

As I study History more, the more questions I have and the more intrigued I am getting. This is no longer just about getting a grade, that's for sure.

I have a theory, which is off-topic, but in my opinion, not all blacks come from the same gene pool( kinda like how Japanese and Vietnamese are different). I also theorize, that Ptolemy's account of Ethiopia does not just limit it to the country Ethiopia but they migrated out west and eventually to the Cape Verde Islands.
Melanesian people have African features but they are "not of African decent." They also have blond hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:35 AM

5,275 posts, read 8,062,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrellis View Post
No. I meant if Mandingha and Ethiopia both mean sub- Sahara Africa. Why didn't he just call the Mandingha region in his letter Ethiopia? Why separate the two?
You mean why someone today would talk about Nigeria and then talk about Africa? Ivory Coast and Africa? Namibia and Africa? Kenya and Africa? Zimbabwe and Africa?

Quote:
Also, why would he call Ethiopians Beseghice? Wouldn't that also make the Mandingha people to be called Beseghice as well? But clearly, he just referred them as tribes and a nation of blacks?
He didn't called the Ethiopians that. What he said is that we (the Europeans) call those islands as Cape Verde while the Ethiopians call them Beseghice. Similar how the Europeans called many places in the Americas one thing while the indian tribes called those same places something else (Puerto Rico was called Borinken by the Taino indians). Cape Verde is well away from modern Ethiopia the country. If Africa was a small place I can definitely see that, but Africa is a huge continent. You can fit the 48 states together of the USA and way more than half of Africa remains untouched.

Quote:
I stand by my assertion that something doesn't add up? What is Beseghice? Why did he call the Ethiopians Beseghice? Why didn't he refer the Mandingha as Beseghice if in fact that 'Ethiopia at that time was referred to as Sub- Saharan?
Very clearly he refer to the region of Mandingha, the area today known as Senegambia. It's on the other side of the continent and well north of the Cape Verde Islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa