U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 430 times

Advertisements

Wow, It's amazing seeing most Europeans having African descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 672,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NnamAries View Post
Wow, It's amazing seeing most Europeans having African descent.
How?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 PM

266 posts, read 97,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
The black populations in the French Caribbean countries like Haiti and Dominica are generally very pure and unmixed (95%+ African). These are people that could easily blend into a crowd of West Africans without anyone batting an eye. Black Americans are also mostly African but still more diverse in ancestry by comparison.

Iíve been exposed to a lot of blacks throughout my life and I still can never tell Haitians apart from West Africans to this day. However, I can pick out a Black American from them in a hot second! (With at least 80% confidence)
I doubt that Haiti is very pure and unmixed. Besides, there would have been some mixing with the Blacks with the Natives. Plus there would have been mixing with the Whites and Blacks as well.

Here is an article on that subject: https://tracingafricanroots.com/2016...rydna-results/

Even so, Africa is not homogeneous, and the slaves imported into Haiti are not solely concentrated in one region in Africa, but the slaves were imported from various regions in Africa.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,352,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Hey Harveyworld , Here's mine:

Congo/Cameroon/Southern Bantu- 44%
Benin/Togo- 36 %
Mali- 5%
Ivory Coast/Ghana- 3%
Nigeria- 1%
Senegal- 1%

African roots : 90%

Great Britain- 6%
Ireland/Scotland- 1%
France- 1%
Spain- 1%
Sweden- 1%

European roots: 10%

Results are from AncestryDNA.

I know the 82% was citied as the average african ancestry for Blacks but there's regional variants. Generally , Blacks born in the south will have higher averages than those outside of the south. Being from Mississippi there's much Congolese descendants here. My euro roots seems to be primary English and the rest a unique mix of west euro cultures. I primary used this info as a reference guide to my African roots and examining the ethnic groups from each region. I would say that the average Black ( Aframs) person is a mix of at least 3/4 African ethnicities.
Yeah, you're right about regional variations. Even in the south, it also depends on the region and the culture. I noticed when seeing the results of AAs from the Carolina Coasts many are 95%+ African, with high ancestry in the Mali region. These are typically Gullah/Geechee. On the other end of the spectrum, those of Creole heritage from the South Louisiana/New Orleans region are often below 70% African, more European than anything in a few cases.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-06-2019 at 01:40 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah, you're right about regional variations. Even in the south, it also depends on the region and the culture. I noticed when seeing the results of AAs from the Carolina Coasts many are 95%+ African, with high ancestry in the Mali region. These are typically Gullah/Geechee. On the other end of the spectrum, those of Creole heritage from the South Louisiana/New Orleans region are often below 70% African, more European than anything in a few cases.
The South Louisiana region is a particular case since it's one of the major port of entry for the transatlantic slave trade.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM

2,573 posts, read 1,419,799 times
Im 25 year old African American who is 93% African. 84% West African, 9% central African. 7% northern and western European. Apparently my maternal grandmother is 100% African. Makes sense,she was born in coastal South Carolina in 1939.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Im 25 year old African American who is 93% African. 84% West African, 9% central African. 7% northern and western European. Apparently my maternal grandmother is 100% African. Makes sense,she was born in coastal South Carolina in 1939.
Which sub regions of Africa?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM

105 posts, read 35,587 times
I’m black American and came out about 80% Sub-Saharan African, 18% Euro and 2% other (the testing companies can’t agree on what the “other” is).

Also, one testing company thinks Nigerian is my biggest ancestry while the other thinks it’s Congolese. I can see a bit more Congolese traits in me than Nigerian (after looking through pages of people from both countries on Google images). But I know that doing this doesn’t mean much since they both have so many diverse tribes and different phenotypes.

Oddly enough: Even though my DNA is overwhelmingly black, I still often get mistaken for mixed-race and even some latin groups. I always correct them since I’m glad to be what I am.

My skin complexion is so-called “caramel” and my facial features are neither large nor thin. My hair texture is either a 3c or 4a. Mom is between brown/dark skin and dad is on the lighter skinned side.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 08-06-2019 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM

You can use this chart to sum up the ethnic groups in your lineage per say.

Ex:
44% - Bakongo, Ndgongo
36% - Mina, Yoruba
Etc.
Attached Thumbnails
African Ancestry DNA-w1zzcky.jpg  

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,394 posts, read 6,476,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think it's simply that African Americans have very few Native American ancestry. Just look at Hispanics, the Native American component is on average higher than African Americans. This spans several countries up and down the continent, plus several companies. African Americans are genetically overwhelmingly Africans. Many countries in the English and French Caribbean are comprobable to African Americans in terms of DNA.

It has to also be taken into account that people that are very mixed would be considered African Americans too in the USA. The African genetic average among real black Americans is probably higher and the Native American component even smaller.
Given segregationist policies that impacted both blacks and American Indians (via reservations and otherwise), its actually not surprising that few black Americans are found to have American Indian ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or