U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 PM

34 posts, read 116,104 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experiences? If not those areas, anyone have experience for any part of the Cairo-Cape route?

In particular I'm interested in knowing ways of cheaply minimizing bus travel. Were there any parts of the continent you felt bus travel was more dangerous than your average Third World bus trip?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,671,253 times
i am hearing some bad stuff re sudan. check with consulate b4 for making that one.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,612,439 times
Oh man... Good luck, buddy.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 AM

23,770 posts, read 65,897,385 times
Why do you want to go there?
Are you tired of living?
Why can´t you go to a safer part of Africa?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,771,254 times
I have traveled by bus all through the Americas, so that gives me some perspective in Third World bus travel. However even the most difficult places in Central or South America would seem quite secure, luxurious and tame, compared to the locations you mention.

I don't know if there is actually scheduled bus service in many of those places, but if I were to attempt a trip like you describe, I would go with these guys:

Overland journey between Cairo and Cape Town

Notice how they avoid Congo-Rwanda. That's too far out of the way on a trip from Cairo to the Cape. The also avoid the lawless disaster area in the horn of Africa (Somalia). Dragoman route avoids those places, but does go through Sudan and Ethiopia. Let us know what you decide to do, I'm curious how this turns out.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM

If you do go, please bring me back a snowglobe, t-shirt or something from Rwanda.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why do you want to go there?
Are you tired of living?
Why can´t you go to a safer part of Africa?
I'm a young man. I've graduated and this is my last chance at the grand adventure. I have some travel experience (1 country, Haiti, is comparable in difficulty).

When you avoid lands where tourists don't go, you will find portals into experiences that are not even possible to imagine because it will be another world.

As a Swede, one of the most multi-cultural people, the lure of Africa should be tugging you too.

Thanks for the link.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
As a Swede, one of the most multi-cultural people, the lure of Africa should be tugging you too.

All joking aside, have you thought about looking into the Peace Corps or something like that if you really want to see this part of the world?

Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 AM

23,770 posts, read 65,897,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
I would love to go to Africa too,but I have never felt the need to go on a vacation in a warzone.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 AM

El Rhino,

In a recent survey of dozens of country of their attitudes towards globalization, Sweden and Jordan were the only two countries where the majority agreed that immigrants were good for the country. Jordan is 66% Palestinian, the product of massive migration after Arab-Israeli wars so it is a given that they approve of immigration. So that makes Sweden the outlier of the world--somehow they still tolerate immigrants.

I've considered the Peace Corps but it doesn't fit my schedule. Over 2 years, working in one country. So it's also a terrible way to hardly travel.

I won't find snowglobes. But there will be wonderful crafts all along the way (and I don't mean touristy crafts, but real art--yes, there are places in the world still untouched by Chinese imports).

Guys,
I will avoid the warzones. Many of these places outside of warzones are quite safe. In places like Eritrea, robbery is practically unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or