Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 11:02 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
No thats because Europeans didn't know how to season food.
Which means you know nothing about any culture but your own. And.... you "home school". Good lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 08:18 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Which means you know nothing about any culture but your own. And.... you "home school". Good lord.
He's got a point though. How many spicy indigenous European dish can you name? The only commonly known one is named after Arabs.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
He's got a point though. How many spicy indigenous European dish can you name? The only commonly known one is named after Arabs.

You're right. The notable exceptions are southern Italian, Hungarian, and some Balkan cuisines have dishes with notable amounts of spice of them. There's also the argument that though it's a different mechanism for spicy, some mustards and horseradish usage in European cuisine might qualify as spicy. Varieties of English mustard and some German mustards especially in the Western parts of the country definitely give you that feeling of strong heat and are sometimes used very liberally within dishes.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-27-2021 at 06:09 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 03:14 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,693 times
I find Ethiopian food very spicy and usually I like spicy food. The Kenyan food I can think of is not spicy (nyama choma, ugali, sukuma wiki). I've pretty much only had hotel food in Nigeria and South Africa and didn't find it spicy but it might have been adjusted for tourists.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,960,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
No thats because Europeans didn't know how to season food.
Love the comedy on CD.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:29 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,960,691 times
Quote:
Seasoning isn’t isolated to being spicy.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:33 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
As stated, seasoning doesn't mean heat. It also means flavor. Too much heat aka spice ruins food. Anyway

https://www.firebirdtours.com/blog/f...icy-dishes-try

I have over 100 spices in my spice rack and only a handful of them are just "hot".

Old 03-07-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As stated, seasoning doesn't mean heat. It also means flavor. Too much heat aka spice ruins food. Anyway

https://www.firebirdtours.com/blog/f...icy-dishes-try

I have over 100 spices in my spice rack and only a handful of them are just "hot".
Nice list, if a little short. I'll look these up next time I'm there.
The poster who said Europeans don't know how to season their food likely prefers a some heat in his/her diet, and as your small list shows those are very uncommon in Europe compared to other regions. Every cuisine has "strengths" and "weaknesses" if we can call it that. For example there's not much use of dairy in Chinese food.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,634 times
In Nigeria, when it comes to spicy food. The preference of the person eating the food really matters. Jollof rice can be made without so much spice and it can also go the other way. The tribes called the yorubas really take a lot of spicy food. They add spice to literally anything. So this also applies to some west african countries as well.

For me personally, spicy foods are delicious. In short, foods without spice are easily tiring. [Mod cut: advertising]

Last edited by elnina; 08-14-2021 at 05:41 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVanAmstel View Post
Yeah right, it isn't like there was never an ancient and middle ages spice trade route along the silk road where spices made it to Europe. And it isn't like when the Ottoman Empire started to cut off those trade routes European merchants/sailors thought hey maybe we can sail to India by going West. And who knows maybe we will discover 2 new continents to populate. Nope none of that ever happened.
Europeans actually got chili peppers from the Americas before Asians and Africans, but unlike these other peoples chose to do NOTHING with them for 500 years. Anyone have a hypothesis as to why that is the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa