Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,463 times

Advertisements

I am an american who has seen all countries of African except west Africa. I have been living, working and vacationing in South Africa, in particular, since 1984. I love that country more than the US. It is beautiful. The people are wonderful. The scenery is fantastic. The nightlife in Cape Town is the best I've ever seen. Victoria Falls Zimbabwe is still a wonderful place not to be missed in one's lifetime in spite of it all. Go on a organized tour and you'll be fine. Just follow their guidelines and advice and you'll be more than safe.

Should you be careful when you go there? Of course. Hopefull you are no matter where you travel. There are a few unique precautions one would take when travelling there (e.g. stay out of the townships and other poorer areas unless part of an organized tour). But you will fall in love with many safe parts of Africa. I promise.

Good luck and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
In terms of development Algeria, Botswana, Cape Verde, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Libya, Mauritius, Sao Tome, Seychelles, South Africa, and Tunisia seem to be in the tops.

Statistics | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

Of those Algeria, Botswana, Egypt, Mauritius, and Tunisia have reported murder rates below the US rate. Cape Verde, Gabon, and Equatorial Guinea do not have rates listed.

Human Development Report 2007/2008 - Homicides (per 100,000 people)

Of those Botswana, Cape Verde, and Mauritius seem to be the freest. (Granted I didn't have a murder rate for Cape Verde, but decided to include it anyway)

List of indices of freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd be leery of Africa myself, but I have known people who enjoy it. Although it's quite underdeveloped I've heard Ghana is also relatively stable.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
I think it would be a wonderful place to honeymoon. The hardest thing, IMO, would be to decide where to go. It's such a diverse country. I've never been, but it is in my top three places in the world to visit, given the opportunity.

I would probably not consider a cruise to Somalia, however.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
The continent itself is quite large; it's about three times the size of the United States. There are also 53 different countries, each with a different government and social conditions.

The thing is, even countries that might sound very dangerous or unstable typically have a resort or two which is used by the local upper classes for their own domestic vacations and conferences and weddings. You could have yourself a very genteel and relaxing trip no matter which country you visit (aside from southern Somalia, but including the breakaway nation of Somaliland) if you can pay for it. For instance, a posh new resort recently opened up in Monrovia, the capital of Liberia, a nation that was wracked by civil war until 2003.

You'll have to be more specific than "Africa." What would you be interested in doing? Northern Mozambique has some of the best diving in the world, along with fantastic beaches. If you want a modern urban African experience, a city like Accra or Dakar or even Luanda would be more appealing. If you want to explore a bit of the Islamic world, you might start in Tunis or Cairo or Casablanca.

If you want to visit some fascinating local groups and see some native African architecture, you could fly into Bamako and take a trip to the Dogon caves region.

I think if you relax your fear a bit, you're actually on the verge of a very interesting and memorable journey.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
Great comments from everyone. Very useful and timely. Hubby and I will be there in November for 3 weeks on a guided tour. Cape Town, Namaqualand, Fish River Canyon, Sesriem/Namib Desert, Swakopmund, Spitzkoppe, Damaraland, Etosha NP, Okavango River, Kwando River, Livingstone/Victoria Falls, Chobe River, Nata, Limpopo, ending in Jo'burg.

We're excited and nervous at the same time. This is quite out of our comfort zone but we are looking forward to it.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 AM

54 posts, read 135,483 times
Wow! Thanks so much everyone for your comments.This has really opened mind eyes to the adventure, and has actually gotten me really excited. My Hubby says thank you world!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,436 times
This thread came in just in time!
We're planning our vacation to Africa this fall, thanks everyone.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM

24 posts, read 122,052 times
Twice in this thread I have seen Africa being referred to as a country (including by the OP). I am sure its either an honest mistake or innocent ignorance. Others have mentioned in this thread that it is a continent. But I just want to put it out there again:

Africa is a CONTINENT. Africa is NOT a country.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM

261 posts, read 668,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegan View Post
Unfortunatly Im addicted to reading the news and keeping up on current events.My soon to be husband thinks its poisoning my head (which i tend to agree with) however we have arised at a conflict when trying to plan for our honeymoon.
He has been dying to go to Africa for many years, I on the other hand have my reservations about it. Since I do self medicate on worldly news i only know of violence, starvation,and pirates in Africa-sad I know. He see's none of that.And thinks its crazy that I dont want to go.
Can someone please help me to understand the beauty of this country and perhaps eliviate my fears of going. Or am I correct on staying away? Also, would you go, have you gone and where or where not to go.
Thank you in advance
Don't listen to any non african here, some people are speaking ou there a-holes. Firstly south africa is the third most dangerous country in terms of slums, most rape and murder after somalia and congo, both of which are at war.
Senegal and Ghana are the 2 most stable african countries that have oceans low crime, and are great to honeymoon at.

Moderator cut: City Data does not permit racist comments/content

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-12-2009 at 11:13 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,318 times
I can't understand why FIFA chose South Africa to host the World Cup competition. The country is downright dangerous.
I have friends who work in SA, and they can't wait for their contracts to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa