Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM

11 posts, read 58,441 times

Advertisements

Wow! I'm in South Africa right now.

Ok, it's awesome - period.

I DONT like the areas you've mentioned though, at least not relatively. Waterfront way too touristy. Go there- but don't stay there. Muizenberg Beach is cool, but the area has comparatively higher crime especially compared to nearby suburbs like Fish Hoek, Noordhoek and Simonstown where crime us super super low.

City Bowl is rad, but you got to see more than the city centre. Go there for theatre (Fugard is great) but I suggest staying in suburbs like

GREENPOINT and SEAPOINT (City living, tons of trendy restaurants and quick access everywhere)
CLIFTON & CAMPS BAY (mega posh beach side. Jet set billionaires playground. Vry beautiful but cooooold ocean - like low 50s cold!)
FISH HOEK (cute beach town, not at all sexy but very laid back and beach in Summer over 70'f)
KOMMETJIE (stupidly beautiful if you're on the beach. Eco warrior town. Coooold Ocean)

White South Africans are different city for city - but of course so are white Australians or Americans! Very friendly and hospitable most everywhere. Less brusque than many Ozzies. Cape Town folk laid back yet hip and sexy, it's quite hipster. In some ways it's like Melbourne - awesome food and very cultured with heavy old school European influence, in others like Sydney - self consciously awesome, rad beaches with surfer vibes going on. Think a more sexy San Francisco with way prettier scenery.

Crime is also not a huge issue. South Africa gets a bad rap cos of cities like Joburg (much more L.A.) where it's way worse, but Cape Town is very similar to a Sydney, San Francisco type city. Have to say though, you've mentioned three of the worse suburbs for crime IMO. Although, if you're renting a car (DO! Roads are brilliant - better than in the US and Europe for sure) you're fine most places unless you're seriously stoopid about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 38,010 times
We are going back home to South Africa. The crime rate in the USA is too high. Here it is legal for the government to kill you with GMOs and take all your money by taxing you to death! Health care is a joke unless you can afford a health plan that takes care of four months salary per annum, people hate the president no matter what he does and lies and deceit are disguised as good manners! After 6 years here, seen worse treatment so going back home to be spoilt again!
Is there crime in SOUTH AFRICA? Yes! Can you avoid it? Yes! Good luck with all your stuff and the earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes and your secretive crime! it's like living in the medieval times.
If you want to visit South Africa, meet a friend who can take you around and warn you. Facebook is full of South Africans! Best of luck here!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
Where have you been living BillyTKid? The USA is a big country, the crime rate varies greatly depending on where ya live. You say it's possible to avoid crime in SA but not in the states? Wouldn't the same logic you use to avoid crime in SA apply in the states? Where will you be living in SA? Where you stand often depends on where you sit. If rich there or here life is pretty good. Costs you mention here are likely more than you will spend in SA for decent private health care and taxes, but chances are so is the wage. The rand is about 10 to the dollar now.

Crime isn't so secretive there in SA, the prez building on his country home with public money, the government full of self serving thieves only after what they can get for themselves. Many of the cops with criminal records and still on the job. Thugs have bought guns from cops and the military. Increasing gang problems, violent xenophobic reactions by those coming to SA looking for work illegally from neighboring countries. Not enough jobs for folks. Services going down and taxes going up over the years. Problems with the schools. Many of the poor still living in shanty towns without basic services and getting endless talk from the ANC. An ongoing problem with rape and murder of very young children. It's a beautiful country with great potential but it has far more problems with crime and corruption at every level of government than the states has now. If you see the USA as medieval, I do wonder where you've been living. Certainly there are many problems here, the rich get richer and the lower middle class continually squeezed. I understand that very well and it is frustrating. But isn't that true there as well? In 6 years away from SA, do you think you will find it better or worse than you left it?

As far as disasters, isn't there a possibility of floods, drought, wild fires, and tsunamis? No place is without the potential for problems. Good luck to you and your family. May you have a safe journey home.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Default After Cape Town, what would be the 2nd and 3rd MUST visit city to see in South Africa?

After Cape Town, what would be the 2nd and 3rd MUST visit city to see in South Africa?

How is Durban received? It seems like it has great beaches, and South Africans enjoy the city? Am I right? Is it mostly people from J-Burg who go down for the beaches? Or is Durban interesting for an international visitor as well?

J-Burg..is it much on any tourist/traveler itinenary?

Are there some smaller cities, that would be more worth visiting?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:18 PM

138 posts, read 93,839 times
Not sure that any city in SA is worth visiting, but I would say Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 AM

277 posts, read 380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meow667 View Post
Not sure that any city in SA is worth visiting, but I would say Johannesburg and Pretoria.
Why Joburg and Pretoria out of curiosity? Not quite sure what tourists would do there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
After Cape Town, what would be the 2nd and 3rd MUST visit city to see in South Africa?

How is Durban received? It seems like it has great beaches, and South Africans enjoy the city? Am I right? Is it mostly people from J-Burg who go down for the beaches? Or is Durban interesting for an international visitor as well?

J-Burg..is it much on any tourist/traveler itinenary?

Are there some smaller cities, that would be more worth visiting?
Durban is all about the beaches and costal life. Hot and humid weather, very nice beaches and has the warm ocean Wouldn't recommend going in December though or any of the major holidays. It gets very crowded with people from all over the country driving down for a holiday. December the beaches are full of matrics for matric vac. Balito and Umhlanga are very popular.

Joburg itinerary. As I said above, I'm not entirely sure what people would do around Joburg. Soweto tour maybe? Apartheid museum, Gold Reef City. I guess maybe shopping centres like Sandton City? Going through the different suburbs? I always assumed Joburg was just a stop for people before they headed off to Cape Town or Kruger

Old 11-30-2015, 03:08 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'd do in Joburg either. I was thinking of skipping the city altogether.

Durban seems like the second destination after Cape Town? Anywhere else?

I'm basically going to rent a car and drive it from Cape Town to Joborg, and thinking of coastal drive, then half-day trips into Lesotho, Swaziland and a couple days in Maputo. Kruger is the other destination within South Africa, I had in mind...

Any other suggestions? Anything in say Port Elizabeth? Or any other random coastal area?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I would definitely do the Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. It is beautiful and there's lots to see and do. There are many towns along the way to stay over, Knysna being the best known. Some lovely unspoilt beaches such as Sedgefield.

Port Elizabeth is okay, I wouldn't plan on spending too much time there. If you are in that vicinity though I would go to Addo National Park, it's one of the less commercialized parks and you will see a lot of wildlife there.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:09 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Why cities? When I visited S. Africa I purposely avoided the cities and had a great time. I can understand Cape Town...but Jo'sburg only if you have a strange desire to be carjacked.

The countryside of S. African is beautiful and your focus should be on that if you are a visitor - Kroger, Kwa-Zulu, the mountains around that area and other national parks, drop into Swaziland if you wish (there is a nice park there as well as I remember).

Old 11-30-2015, 03:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I forgot to add that if you are in Natal I would visit the Drakensberg Mountains. Places like Giant's Castle are stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa