U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Massillon, Ohio in March 2011. My husband is white and I am mixed races. We are currently expecting our first child who will obviously be of mixed races.

My husband is originally from Dayton area Ohio. His cousin currently lives in Massillon with his family and has for pretty much his entire life and has told us he doesn't see any issues with interracial couples.

Our main concern is our soon to be born son. My husband can take care of himself and I can take care of myself. We obviously would take care of him, but we want to know if anyone has any take on interracial couples in Massillon.

We are big on family and want the best for ours just like anyone else. We currently live in Southern California. It to expensive here and not really where we want to raise children.

Any thoughts on if Massillon is an excepting place for interracial couples? Thank you for your input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,460,247 times
I guess I would agree with your husband's cousin. While idiots can be found anywhere, I don't think there would be any problems in the Massillon area.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 AM

780 posts, read 1,136,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabshear View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Massillon, Ohio in March 2011. My husband is white and I am mixed races. We are currently expecting our first child who will obviously be of mixed races.

My husband is originally from Dayton area Ohio. His cousin currently lives in Massillon with his family and has for pretty much his entire life and has told us he doesn't see any issues with interracial couples.

Our main concern is our soon to be born son. My husband can take care of himself and I can take care of myself. We obviously would take care of him, but we want to know if anyone has any take on interracial couples in Massillon.

We are big on family and want the best for ours just like anyone else. We currently live in Southern California. It to expensive here and not really where we want to raise children.

Any thoughts on if Massillon is an excepting place for interracial couples? Thank you for your input in advance.
I have lived in the Massillon area for 40+ years, and know quite a few mixed race families. I have rarely heard issues of any kind of racism, especially in the last 10+ years, as it's more and more common to see the blended race families. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. You might experience it on very rare occasions, but it's more because of the rather small handful of moronic bigots that populate any community than the perception of the general Massillon community.

Just out of curiosity - where are you planning to live in the Massillon area? As said, I've been here quite a while, so I'm pretty familiar w/the different areas, school districts, etc.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times
Thank you for the information Wanderbygrace. We are looking at historic Massillon. That's where my husbands cousin lives. We just want to make the best decision possible for our baby that is on the way and for us.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM

780 posts, read 1,136,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabshear View Post
Thank you for the information Wanderbygrace. We are looking at historic Massillon. That's where my husbands cousin lives. We just want to make the best decision possible for our baby that is on the way and for us.
That would be square in the middle of the downtown Massillon, which is the Massillon City School District. Considered a fairly urban district, it's actually one of the bestr urban districts in Ohio, academically, although it does definitely trail behind some of the surrounding suburban schools (e.g. Perry Local Schools, Jackson Local Schools, etc.).

The most important thing about Massillon is to know their passion for high school football. NO community in the state of Ohio equals the unbelievable pride & interest they have for the Massillon Tigers football team. Friday & Saturday nights at Tiger Stadium are downright legendary, and their final regular game against Canton McKinley is considered one of the top few high school football rivalries in the entire country. Definitely a spectacle if you and/or your hubby is a sports fan.

If you're on the north side of Lincolnway, it's actually pretty nice - we've known a few people that live in that area, and they all enjoy it. And as far as mixed races go - that's probably the very best part of the Greater Massillon area to live in, as you have quite a few mixed race families in that vicinity, so it's not unusual at all.

Best of luck on your move here - if you have anything else you want to know, just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton