Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,434 times

Advertisements

Hi every body

I am a first home buyer and have been looking for a property around the UA campus. My budget is little and that is why I chose these areas :d ( South of the university, East and Northeast of the campus could be my choices I think so).
I know that these neighborhoods are not nice ones but I would like to choose a good street or region among all of my choices to at least have a bright future in couple of years.
Do you have any idea or piece of advice?
thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I went to realtor.com and put in a radius of 1 mile from the U of A zipcode, $50,000-$150,000, and really, every house that came up looked nice. You could try that and then just walk around and look at them. My guess would be that any neighborhood where students live will be OK.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.m View Post
I am a first home buyer and have been looking for a property around the UA campus. My budget is little and that is why I chose these areas :d ( South of the university, East and Northeast of the campus could be my choices I think so).
I know that these neighborhoods are not nice ones but I would like to choose a good street or region among all of my choices to at least have a bright future in couple of years.
If I had to choose I would look immediately south of campus (South of East Exchange), the closer to Exchange the better. That area is targeted for development by both the University and a neighborhood consortium so would be most likely to have a bright(er) future sooner than most.

You could also look immediately east (just across Route 8).

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM

157 posts, read 284,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.m View Post
Hi every body

Do you have any idea or piece of advice?
thanks so much
Are you familiar with the housing near campus? It has gotten progressively worse over the last few years, so has the crime. The area was much more promising 10 years ago than it is today. I would say that investing in a home in that area is very risky at this point. What other areas have you looked at?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Are you familiar with the housing near campus? It has gotten progressively worse over the last few years, so has the crime. The area was much more promising 10 years ago than it is today. I would say that investing in a home in that area is very risky at this point. What other areas have you looked at?
The university has pumped millions of dollars into the area. Particularly with the stadium on Exchange it seems to be starting to rub off. Some.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Are you familiar with the housing near campus? It has gotten progressively worse over the last few years, so has the crime.
That area has gotten progressively better since around 2005 when UA's enrollment began rising. Since then, UA and Summa Hospitals have been buying up property in the area like crazy. This has increased the value of the surrounding property.

Buying a house in that area would be a very smart idea(if you have the resources to do so). It's likely that in less than ten years the University or a private developer will buy it off you for much more than you originally paid for it.

That said, I still wouldn't live there. If you are planning on renting the house out, good luck. You'd likely have a little spoiled brat for a tennant like whitmeyer.

Whitmeyer, aren't you from North Canton? Canton...ugh. If there's one Ohio city that makes Columbus look good...Canton might be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton