U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 15,495 times
Default want to move home

Hey guys,

I need advise!! I moved from Ohio 14yrs ago to NC....I HATE IT!! I want to move back home: couple problems..my children are grown and live here and my husband and I both have good jobs.

What about the tremendous guilt of leaving the kids not to mention how much I'd miss them...then the job thing.

How do you do a move like this??? where do you even begin??? Could someone give me some advise?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM

757 posts, read 785,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPRESNELL View Post
Hey guys,

I need advise!! I moved from Ohio 14yrs ago to NC....I HATE IT!! I want to move back home: couple problems..my children are grown and live here and my husband and I both have good jobs.

What about the tremendous guilt of leaving the kids not to mention how much I'd miss them...then the job thing.

How do you do a move like this??? where do you even begin??? Could someone give me some advise?

Thanks
Setting aside the emotional issues, I would absolutely find a job here *first*. There's too much up in the air to do anything else.

I'd try to sell the house in NC as well, if you own.

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:45 PM

766 posts, read 851,685 times
How do you "leave" grown children?

It's your turn.

Unread 10-22-2010, 05:31 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,309,327 times
I stayed till my grandkids got their drivers lic.......,that alone was all I needed to leave the state and move back to akron !!!!!!

Unread 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,983,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPRESNELL View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks
I responded to your post on the Ohio (general) forum. On the other thread, you said you were "miserable", on this one you say you "hate" NC. What else is there? Why live somewhere that you hate? That alone is a recipe for an early heart attack, disease, etc. You did your job of raising your children and now they are adults. The job thing is the more serious issue.

Unread 10-26-2010, 05:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,309,327 times
I dont understand what could be so bad about N.C. other than the rebel mentality ,just learn how to say Y'ALL, my encounters living in the south were how to tell the weather,80's was hot,90's was real hot,and over 100 was some kind of hot!

Unread 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,821,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I dont understand what could be so bad about N.C. other than the rebel mentality ,just learn how to say Y'ALL, my encounters living in the south were how to tell the weather,80's was hot,90's was real hot,and over 100 was some kind of hot!
Actually, NC is not all it is cracked up to be. We've been here for just over a year. My husb is an OH native, I'm a MI native. The major cities in NC have been taken over by transplants mostly coming from New England. I'm a fair person and will give everyone the benefit of the doubt .. BUT, when you start dealing with a certain type of mentality / personality that you find you really don't agree with, it really starts to take a toll on your mindset. The NE transplants are some of the worst drivers in the nation, the state of NC is in bed with the insurance industry (EX: all people carrying a drivers license, by law, has to maintain insurance coverage even if they don't own a vehicle; all home owners insurances carry a disaster rider for the hurricane fund for coastal mansions - I pay $ every month for a disaster fund on a McMansion placed on the coastline despite the fact that I could never feasibly afford such an expensive house myself), the state finds all kinds of ways to tax the snot out of you, and the lack of seasons can be a little bland. Not to mention the lack of cold keeps the bug population going strong.

I personally have not had a problem with NC natives - but, transplants out number natives. The cities grew so fast that sprawl is out of control, foreclosures are out of control and existing houses don't sell because they are still building new (cheaply made) houses for about the same cost of purchasing an existing home. Because of the sprawl, traffic congestion has gotten worse, schools are in a crisis, water source is getting questionable and the city planning has been very poor. Charlotte's water source is among the top most endangered in the nation due to the placement of a nuclear plant along the water way, and fresh water is not available here like it is in the Midwest. I feel LM's pain, and we're already planning our 5 year plan to leave NC.

Unread 10-29-2010, 06:28 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,029,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
my list of complaints is LOOOOOOOOOONG about NC. I stayed there less than 2 years, left and moved to SC which to me is better. I was sick and tired of being reamed by the state of NC for taxes. I guess it also depends on what part of the state. I hate the traffic, very reckless drivers, no police or state patrol. Heck I continually see people with plates on their cars that have been expired for 2-3 years at least, the list goes on and on. I'll keep many of the things I disliked about the Charlotte metro area to myself. I will never live in NC again ever. I did tell my son, if I have to ever be put in a nursing home, he is not to ever put me in one in NC (he still lives there) he can send me back to Ohio.

Unread 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Status: "Still don't know what sriracha is, and now I hear its passe." (set 28 days ago)

14,586 posts, read 16,240,687 times
My friend and I are former Ohio neighbors. She has moved to Florida, and I have moved to Savannah. I know you are talking about NC, but the south is the south, I figure. I love it here, she hates it.
If I lived in the mountains of NC, I would love it. If I lived in Fayetteville (where my son lives), I would hate it. So, I don't know where you live, but it probably makes a difference.
Anyway, if I had a job and my children all lived closeby I could not move away, because being near the kids would be the most important thing to me.
My 4 children are spread all over the country, so it doesn't matter where I live, but since I now live in a desireable climate, I find that kids and friends are making it a point of coming here.
Back to my friend in FL. As I extoll the virtues of sunshine every day and mild winters, she just says, "See how you like it after 5 years." She makes an annual pilgrimage to Ohio and sobs all the way across the state line.

Unread 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,572,914 times
Ohio economy...((((cue up sound of a copiously filled toilet being flushed ))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton