Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 7,635 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning on relocating and I had a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help.

We'd perfer to be as close to Wadsworth as possible for at least the first year or so (preferably within 30mins). My boyfriends grandparents and some other family live in town.

I was wondering if anyone knew how the child care field is in the area? I have worked in daycare for over 4 1/2 years and am currently work as a nanny (I prefer being a nanny). Mainly I am interested in knowing what form of child care is most common: a stay at home parent, daycare, nanny at the child's home, daycare in a caregivers home, etc.

My goal and dream has always been to eventually open either a preschool or home based daycare in my own home. Is that common and a reliable source of income in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblacksharpie View Post
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning on relocating and I had a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help.

We'd perfer to be as close to Wadsworth as possible for at least the first year or so (preferably within 30mins). My boyfriends grandparents and some other family live in town.

I was wondering if anyone knew how the child care field is in the area? I have worked in daycare for over 4 1/2 years and am currently work as a nanny (I prefer being a nanny). Mainly I am interested in knowing what form of child care is most common: a stay at home parent, daycare, nanny at the child's home, daycare in a caregivers home, etc.

My goal and dream has always been to eventually open either a preschool or home based daycare in my own home. Is that common and a reliable source of income in the area.

Thanks!
I've seen a lot of people doing home-based day care, seems to be common. There are also a lot of professional day care centers and programs, from one-off places, to chains like Kindercare, to institutional-types like at the Y or JCC.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I agree that there is mostly home day care, and professional day care centers. I was not aware of anyone who had a live in nanny around the area, although I'm sure there are some jobs like this in the more upscale areas nearby, such as West Akron and Bath.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
One of my aquaintances is a recruiter for the Nanny Connection. I don't know too much about the company or what they do, but maybe you can google it and see if it's something you're interested in .

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that there is mostly home day care, and professional day care centers. I was not aware of anyone who had a live in nanny around the area, although I'm sure there are some jobs like this in the more upscale areas nearby, such as West Akron and Bath.
I've seen ads from time to time.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Plenty of Nannys in NE Ohio. Sadly only the wealthy can really afford one.
That's why more of us don't have them.

A Professional Daycare is: $170-$220.
A Home daycare is $160-$190.
That's per child, of course.

Whereas the cheapest Nanny I could find when I was looking was $400/week for my one child. Most are more then that.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 7,635 times
Thank you so much for your responses everyone!

I've emailed a few places to see what information I'd received about pay, benefits and overall job requirements.

And I'm happy to say everyone got back to me the next day with great information! I don't know if that is common in NE Ohio, but here in NJ your lucky if one person gets back to you within a few weeks. And thats not just recent with the bad job market, its almost always been this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton