Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 AM

103 posts, read 432,491 times

Advertisements

We are considering Akron as an area to relocate to. How are the suburbs? Are there lots of things to do with kids. What about activities in the various seasons? Do they get a lot of snow? Any information (pro and con) would be helpful. Are there pretty, low crime, friendly neighborhoods with good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Default Some great suburbs

I'm still new to the area, but there are some really nice small towns and I keep hearing great things about different school systems. Plenty of parks and outdoors areas. I'm too new to the area to know everything available.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,314 times
Hi CicilyB,
I have been living in Akron from the past 2 years. And I love the place. You need not worry about crime here, its a pretty safe town. I have seen a couple of scary looking guys wandering around the Akron downtown area in the evenings, so that is one place to avoid. We live in Fairlawn Bath , and its a good place. There is a very good public library wherein you can take your kids for fun activities. I dont know much about the schools here, but from what I here , there are some good ones around.
It does snow a lot here though ! It is cold almost all year round except for the 4 months of summer. Anything more you need to know, just ask ..

Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
there are many great suburbs to live in,stow,cuyahoga falls, fairlawn,green, but my favorite is coventry account of the portage lakes ,i like the availabiity of boating swimming,fishing,sking.
the urban areas have some crime but not nearly as bad as other cities.
drive around and check out all of the burbs and see what you want some areas are more conjested than others due to more shopping areas.
i prefer to drive a little further to the store than have all of the traffic surrounding me.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,314 times
I just realised that I misspelt the word "hear" in my post..lol..

Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM

146 posts, read 789,184 times
The average annual snowfall across the Akron metro area (Summit County & Portage County) varies from a little less than 50" in the far southern part of the area to a little more than 70" in the far northern part of the area. The city proper of Akron typically gets 50-55" per year. (Ohio snow map: Birmingham Project (http://www.birminghamproject.org/maps/map_14.htm - broken link)) It all depends on your perspective, but most people would consider Akron to be quite snowy. For example, most people think of Chicago as a snowy city, and the average annual snowfall there (at O'Hare airport) is only 38", which is small by Northeast Ohio standards.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM

103 posts, read 432,491 times
Thanks for all the info- it's really helpful. Do people who live in the snow belt spend much time outside with winter activities? I think our kids would enjoy winter outdoor activities?- or are the temps just to cold to play outdoors. Also- has anyone been to any of the ski resorts in Ohio?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 AM

34 posts, read 189,901 times
Times are changing and I wouldn't consider Akron that snowy anymore. This past winter we waited and waited for snow. When it finally came we had one really nasty storm that closed nearly everything for a day and then that was that and we went back to our normal routine.

It's certainly not too cold to go out and play in the snow. I think your kids would enjoy it. I don't ski, but my friends and family have spent time skiing in Bellfountaine and they liked it.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 7,749 times
I know this topic was from several years ago, but anybody looking into Akron, watch out. The school systems should be avoided, especially any downtown. Plus, anyone living in Fairlawn is going to have a very positive experience with Akron. If you can't afford Fairlawn, or the nice parts of Silverlake / Tallmadge, or anywhere near the Byway, then you'll wind up in areas with high crime and libraries I wouldn't go anywhere near.

Akron is largely run-down, highly depressed, and, especially around Akron University or areas near 76, downright scary. Thoroughly research where you plan on living, and realize that with places like Akron, Youngstown, and East Cleveland, paying more money for location is so worth it.

I grew up in Maple Heights (Cleveland) and moved to Akron, until recently I moved to West Cleveland (MUCH safer).

Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM

310 posts, read 1,356,635 times
There are really some nice areas if you can afford to live in them. I lived in Springfield Township for 4 years right outside Green. Both areas are nice, but if I could afford it, I'd move to Green in a heartbeat. Great schools, nice parks (check out Boettler Park), close to shopping in Canton. Fairlawn is very nice, Stow, Tallmadge, some parts of Cuyahoga Falls, I love the shopping out that way. Portage Lakes, Coventry, there are many nice places within and around Akron. Best of luck finding the place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton