Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 30,041 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Canton and really wants to move back. I have lived in Southern Calif. all of my life. What can you tell me about this city? I have only been there once about 9 years ago. I am ready for a change but not sure that is where I want to be. We are in our 50's and will be retireing shortly. We do however have a fairly young child (6) and want to know about Christian private schools in that area. We also would like to open a photography studio (we would not be dependent on a certain income from this venture, it is something we just love). Are there areas on the outskirts that have less crime? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM

74 posts, read 372,291 times
Well there are certainly very few places in the city where you're going to be completely safe. I would suggest to deffinetly stay away from the east side. The NE and SE sides are horrible. The SW isn't so great either but there are some nice parts there on the Canton/Perry boarder line. I would suggest living in the NW of Canton or in Perry Township which is in between Massillon and Canton. Crime has done nothing but worsen and gangs have become a bigger problem since I've been brought up here. I'm only 16 but honestly I wish I could leave the city. Stay away from Hartford and Crenshaw for your kids' school. And if he has to be enrolled in a Canton City school then choose McKinley and not Timken. Perry High School and Jackon High School are much better.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 81,524 times
My advice is to not move to Canton. I am from Southern California myself and I live in Canton now. As a fair warning, I will say that theTaxes are high, the schools aren't too great, and there's not a lot of work availaible. I currently want to move out.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM

15 posts, read 68,367 times
DON'T MOV E TO CANTON!!! I can't strees that enough!! I have lived in Canton all my life and I'm dying to get out!! Almost everyone I know has moved away from here!! THER ARE NO JOBS. and absolutely nothing to do I like to refer to it as boredomville!!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 15,750 times
I live in perry twp and must say canton is hell. Its in a fast downfall. You will find some of the trashiest people in canton, and no jobs, unless you want to work fast food or at walmart. I graduated in 01 and have been through 6 jobs since then thanks to plant closings and layoffs. Canton seriously has nothing to offer. There are better parts of ohio like the north and west ends of akron, cleveland suburbs and columbus suburbs if you really have to move to ohio.

My wife and I are seriously entertaining the idea of moving to california with some family, Job market cant be much worse then canton, although cost of living is higher, atleast there is good weather year round and entertainment.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:00 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
I recently just moved to Canton from South Dakota. I grew up in the area but hadn't been here since 1996.

Canton isn't all that bad. People look at it with blinders on because "the grass is always greener on the other side" I live in a safe neighborhood and although there is crime in Canton, what bigger city doesn't have it? As far as trashiest people in Canton?! That's kind of being judgmental. You have a wide variety of backgrounds from lower income to higher income as well as a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, once again, same as all bigger cities.

My sister can recommend good Christian school as all 4 of her children went to a local one, just don't know of the elementary one. I know they attended St. Thomas Aquinas for high school which is in Louisville, but not a far drive at all from Canton.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 AM

72 posts, read 287,420 times
Oh man, there are some pretty broad strokes being painted here. I happen to live in the NE section of Canton (4 years) and have yet to encounter one problems. Yes, crime happens, just like in Cleveland, Akron, it's all relative. The NE also happens to be home to the neighborhood of Ridgewood. Ridgewood is full of well kept 1920s tudors and cost 3 times what a normal home in Canton cost. As far as nothing to do, There is a first friday event downtown every month, there is the 2 day blues fest, a number of bars and movie theaters, the symphony, etc, not to mention the hall of fame festival. What do you expect from a city of 79,000? Akron is a 25 minute drive, with a AAA baseball team, Cleveland is 50 minutes. I also have a job in Graphic design that I have held for 7 years. Canton is no paradise, but these bleaker than bleak comments come from immature individuals with no civic pride. Canton has many sides, so to paint it either black or white is rediculous.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 AM

Canton also has Sippo Lake, Monument Park, the county wide trail system and they are going to build a public pool. I don't know what everyone expects from a mid sized city. My wife and I don't have trouble finding things to do here, when we want something different we drive 25 minutes to Akron or 50 minutes to Cleveland We are also close to Cedar Point. Try doing that in Western states like Arizona where cities are much further apart.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
[quote=mkeller234;4075754] Akron is a 25 minute drive, with a AAA baseball team, Cleveland is 50 minutes. QUOTE]

Actually, the Aeros are AA, but it would be nice to have a AAA team.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Ok, I'll admit that I don't know much about the Aeros. I do know that they were fun to watch as a kid in Canton though, and Canal Park is uncomparably nicer than Thurman Munson Stadium. I just wanted to point out what Canton may lack, the Akron/Canton region usually covers. Also, Akron's new art museum was pretty fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton