Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times

Advertisements

A front wheel drive vehicle and a little common sense when driving and you will be fine.

You don't need a Hummer or Escalade to drive during the winter in NE Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijano View Post
I recently found out I'll be moving to Akron in July for work, and will likely be there only for one year. I currently live in the Southwest and drive a sports car convertible that I recently discovered first hand is useless in even a bit of snow/ice.

I'm almost definitely going to get rid of the convertible but I'm not big on SUV's. I just think they're overkill. especially since my wife already has one (which she'll need to get herself to work) and we have no kids and don't need the extra space - and would much rather just get a front-wheel drive sedan, and maybe get snow tires during the worst months.

I'm fairly familiar (though probably a bit rusty) with driving in snow since I grew up near Akron in Western PA, but my question is, is the snow bad enough in Akron that you really have to get an SUV? My work will often require me going to several places a day. So I can't really just have my wife drop me off and pick me up on "bad" snow days. But how often is there so much snow that a SUV with high ground clearance (or a car w/ AWD) is needed? Are most roads well maintained enough that they're drivable by an average front wheel drive sedan?

Are there any of you out there that don't have an SUV and drive a sedan (with FWD) that really regret it and wish you had an SUV?

I'm only going to be in Akron for 1 year then likely will move to an area further south without snow, so I really don't want to get an SUV just for that one year unless it's going to be necessary for me to reliably navigate to my work places during the winter.

I know this is a subjective question because nobody can predict if the 1 winter i spend there will be mild or record breaking for snow, and all vehicles are different to an extent, but I'd appreciate a general consensus. Thanks in advance for your advice!!
A 4WD might be nice but, for now, settle on boots and a very, very, very warm coat.....

Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
I lived in Akron from birth (1977) until 2007. Since then I've been in the Mid-Atlantic region.

I'll say this - it snows more often in Akron by far, but the BIG storms that hit the Mid-Atlantic in the form of Nor-easters aren't matched in Akron for the most part. Akron rarely gets a storm over 6" at a time, although multiple events often don't melt in-between, so total depth can be greater than that. Where here in Maryland, it may only snow once, but it could be 10"+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton